Contemplating a CX3 - What do I need to know

Yelop5

:
'02 P5
Hi Folks

I am a current 02 Protege 5 owner, car is getting a little tired and the novelty of spending my weekends fixing things is wearing thin. It was fun 15 years ago, but not so much anymore. Thinking of a CX-3 as they look great and seem like a nice small SUV. It's just my wife and I, no kids but that is a possibility in the next 12 months. Any feedback you folks have on your CX-3's would be much appreciate. Happy with the car? Wish you had got something else, what to look out for? Packages to get? Any sort of comments on your ownership experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I don't own one but had a loaner for a couple of days. It's a small car - it's based on the floorpan of the Mazda 2 (not the 3 as the name would imply). For example the shoulder room (roughly measured between the front seat belt mounts) is 1360mm against 1452mm in the Mazda 3 - that's approx 4 inches narrower - I'm 6' and it felt like I was leaning on the door while driving it. Also the boot is tiny and IMHO no good for impending baby gear. On the other hand it looks nice, drives nice and has lots of nice kit, but IMHO it's way overpriced (in the UK anyway) for what it is... a Mazda 2 on stilts.

So we looked at both the Mazda 3 and the CX-3 and while the CX-3 was fun, if you can live with FWD, the Mazda 3 hatchback is a better deal. Faster, better handling, more room, more safety features and most importantly, much cheaper. The CX-3 is fun and I think better looking but the Mazda 3 is a much better deal.

I own a 2016 CX-3 GT with the tech package. It is the wife's car but I drive it a lot as well. It is a fun car to drive for sure and the AWD works well. Honestly, spend a lot of time investigating the size and make sure it will fit your needs. It fits us as it is our 2nd vehicle (we have 4 teenagers that rarely come with us anymore) and packs a surprising amount in the back if you plan well, but if you are someone that tends to take a lot of stuff with you wherever you go, go with the 3 or the new CX-5. We have fit 5 people in it before but not for long trips. My wife loves it but there are times she wishes it was a little bigger (used to own a CX-5). But if it fits your needs for now and the near future, it definitely is a fun car to own, and it still causes people to take second looks.

Hi Folks

I am a current 02 Protege 5 owner, car is getting a little tired and the novelty of spending my weekends fixing things is wearing thin. It was fun 15 years ago, but not so much anymore. Thinking of a CX-3 as they look great and seem like a nice small SUV. It's just my wife and I, no kids but that is a possibility in the next 12 months. Any feedback you folks have on your CX-3's would be much appreciate. Happy with the car? Wish you had got something else, what to look out for? Packages to get? Any sort of comments on your ownership experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I test drove the Toyota C-HR before driving the Mazda, and comparatively, the Mazda is quite loud. Engine noise is pronounced, and tire noise is definitely noticeable, but the value equation put it at the top of the heap of CUVs. The Toyota was muted, smooth and serene much like everything else in the Toyota stable. But it was also pokey and offered no options such as leather, sunroof, Sirius and AWD. That CVT really sucked the life out of it. It was a looker though, but that's subjective.
Really like the CX-3, but do occasionally wish Mazda had offered the 2.5. Accelerating up a hill really highlights this car's power-to-weight situation. I'm thinking about tracking down a Dynamat installer to see what they think could be done to keep some of the engine noise out of the cabin. It could definitely use an under-hood insulator, something I can't believe they didn't include, at least on the GT.

Aftermarket seems a little weak on this car. Very limited number of suppliers offering hood struts & other accessories. You have your choice of an AutoExe kit for $250 or a kit on Ebay from Russia that you'll wait weeks for. I think I may wait out Redline tuning to see if they'll cough something up.

No problems yet, unlike my somewhat troublesome Speed 6. Knock on wood.

I test drove the Toyota C-HR before driving the Mazda, and comparatively, the Mazda is quite loud. Engine noise is pronounced, and tire noise is definitely noticeable, but the value equation put it at the top of the heap of CUVs. The Toyota was muted, smooth and serene much like everything else in the Toyota stable. But it was also pokey and offered no options such as leather, sunroof, Sirius and AWD. That CVT really sucked the life out of it. It was a looker though, but that's subjective.
Really like the CX-3, but do occasionally wish Mazda had offered the 2.5. Accelerating up a hill really highlights this car's power-to-weight situation. I'm thinking about tracking down a Dynamat installer to see what they think could be done to keep some of the engine noise out of the cabin. It could definitely use an under-hood insulator, something I can't believe they didn't include, at least on the GT.

Aftermarket seems a little weak on this car. Very limited number of suppliers offering hood struts & other accessories. You have your choice of an AutoExe kit for $250 or a kit on Ebay from Russia that you'll wait weeks for. I think I may wait out Redline tuning to see if they'll cough something up.

No problems yet, unlike my somewhat troublesome Speed 6. Knock on wood.

Glad to know I'm not the only one interested in both the C-HR and the CX-3. Aesthetically, I'm in love with both. Good to know the road noise difference. I currently have a Mazda 2, and it is so loud. With the 2 being the nicest car I've ever owned, I'm not picky about leather, a sunroof, or Sirius Radio. Been meaning to test drive them both though.

Back