2013 CX-5 Front dash Speakers not working

Black_Z28

:
2013 CX-5
Hello all, first post here. I just started having problem with the front dash speakers in my wife's 2013 CX-5 GT. This does have the Bose and Navi, if that matters. So, yesterday while driving home from a road trip, which the radio worked perfectly fine the whole 13 other hours of driving, I ran into a issue. I got fuel, when I started the car, the front dash speakers didn't work. The front doors seem to work, and the rear doors I can easily hear...but the front dash speakers are non-existent. This really blows, because you can no longer use the hands free calling.

Anyone have any ideas where to start? Does one amp run the whole system, or are there dedicated amps for particular locations in the car? I assume I could check voltage at the speaker...and I would assume 12v, correct? Also, this is the same on all functions of the radio....IE AM/FM, Bluetooth, ect.. When I try using the hands free phone, I can barely hear a muffled voice, which I assume is coming from the mids in the doors.

Thanks for any help.

Hello all, first post here. I just started having problem with the front dash speakers in my wife's 2013 CX-5 GT. This does have the Bose and Navi, if that matters. So, yesterday while driving home from a road trip, which the radio worked perfectly fine the whole 13 other hours of driving, I ran into a issue. I got fuel, when I started the car, the front dash speakers didn't work. The front doors seem to work, and the rear doors I can easily hear...but the front dash speakers are non-existent. This really blows, because you can no longer use the hands free calling.

Anyone have any ideas where to start? Does one amp run the whole system, or are there dedicated amps for particular locations in the car? I assume I could check voltage at the speaker...and I would assume 12v, correct? Also, this is the same on all functions of the radio....IE AM/FM, Bluetooth, ect.. When I try using the hands free phone, I can barely hear a muffled voice, which I assume is coming from the mids in the doors.

Thanks for any help.
Try the hard reset (please do a search) first. And check the audio setup on fader. Does the center dash speaker work? No, the speaker wire voltage is dynamic and is not 12V. The easiest way to verify the speaker which is good or bad is to hook up another known good speaker and try. You can also measure the resistance of the speaker with multimeter and see if it's in 2~3 Ω.

There's one Bose amp with crossover built-in. Honestly if your fader setup is correct I feel your amp should be the culprit. This's highly unlikely all 3 front dash speakers are all out at the same time.

I can't help with your problem per-se, but if you have the NB1 stereo, here's a link to a site which describes how to enter the hidden menu - one item on the menu is a speaker test...

http://mr-fix.info/mazda-nb1-hidden-menu-tomtom-navigation/

Well, I tried that out. Didn't really find much. Did a speaker check, of course the dash speakers didn't work. Did a amp test and didn't really get anything, but on the screen it showed a L.

Where's the amp located on these cars? Maybe something simply is loose.

Well, I tried that out. Didn't really find much. Did a speaker check, of course the dash speakers didn't work. Did a amp test and didn't really get anything, but on the screen it showed a L.

Where's the amp located on these cars? Maybe something simply is loose.
Bose amp is under the passenger seat.

Anyone have any ideas where to start?
Yes, carefully snap out the speaker covers and remove the speakers and test with a multi-meter, or 1.5v battery. The dash speakers should have a DC resistance of about 3.2 ohms; zero or very high ohms, get new speaker. If using a battery rub the speaker's terminals with wires connected to each pole of the battery and listen for scratching. No scratching, get new speaker.

Does one amp run the whole system, or are there dedicated amps for particular locations in the car?
There is one multi-channel amp for all of the speakers. It's possible some channels failed.

I assume I could check voltage at the speaker...and I would assume 12v, correct?
No, No! The amp outputs an AC voltage that varies from 1 to 10 volts, at sane listening levels.

Also, this is the same on all functions of the radio....IE AM/FM, Bluetooth, ect.. When I try using the hands free phone, I can barely hear a muffled voice, which I assume is coming from the mids in the doors.

Thanks for any help.

Very likely your amp partly failed, though it could also be wiring into the amp, or from the amp to the speakers. Look behind the outside kick panel on the right side of the car for a large lump of aluminum with thick wiring harnesses going to it. A salvage yard unit will be affordable.

I know somebody who wrecked a 2015 with Blose!
:p

Last edited:
Try the hard reset (please do a search) first. And check the audio setup on fader. Does the center dash speaker work? No, the speaker wire voltage is dynamic and is not 12V. The easiest way to verify the speaker which is good or bad is to hook up another known good speaker and try. You can also measure the resistance of the speaker with multimeter and see if it's in 2~3 Ω.

There's one Bose amp with crossover built-in. Honestly if your fader setup is correct I feel your amp should be the culprit. This's highly unlikely all 3 front dash speakers are all out at the same time.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing....how the heck could all three speakers fail at the same time...unless there was a surge...which then you'd think I would have heard that.

Very likely your amp partly failed, though it could also be wiring into the amp, or from the amp to the speakers. Look behind the outside kick panel on the right side of the car for a large lump of aluminum with thick wiring harnesses going to it. A salvage yard unit will be affordable.

I know somebody who wrecked a 2015 with Blose!
:p

I'll check that out tonight, and see if something somehow rattle loose during the drive. Still seems odd.

Anyone know what Bose Amp I'd be looking for on ebay or the such?

I'd be all over just changing everything over to something else..but this is my wife's car and she could care less about audio upgrades.

Thanks for your help fellas.

Whelp...messed with the amp a bit last night. At least the thing is easy to get to being the kick panel and glove box. Checked all the connections...and they all seemed to be good. So, looks like the amp failed....that's pretty lame.

Anyways, do any of you guys know if any other Mazda cars used the same amp? I'm finding one amp on ebay for $300...and it says CHEAP!!! Yeah right. :) Thanks again for your help.

I still don't know how to rewire the amp system but if I were in your shoes, id take advantage of the opportunity to use a different brand instead of Bose.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Back