New Mazda 2 owner

FastNX

:
2011 Mazda 2 GS
Hi,

I am the new owner of a 2011 Mazda 2 GS but not new to the modified car scene.

My goal for this car is to have a fuel efficient fun car that I can put a ton of miles on. I drive about 50,000 km per year, mostly for work. I drive on rural roads, a lot of them are un-paved and not well plowed in the winter. I have 2 race cars so this will always be a streetable daily driver that is comfortable and not punishing, I don't have any plans to lap or autocross the Mazda 2.

I have had the car for about 3 weeks. So far I have installed a Cusco 1 way clutch type LSD, lightweight flywheel, solid dogbone motor mount and corksport adjustable shocks.

Future plans are for Whiteline offset control arm bushings, shifter bushings, cold air intake, rear sway bar, and perhaps better speakers and having the drivers seat stuffed with firmer foam and a tuned computer.

What companies offer ECU tuning? Any experiences to share?

Jeff

Last edited:
How do you like the LSD? Lots done is such a short time!

Can't offer any advice, just here to say welcome! Hope to see you around (I drive through/around Erin fairly often).

So far I can't tell the LSD is there which is perfect this time of year. I was concerned it would chatter but it is silent. I was on a dirt road last week and took off quickly in first gear and hardly had any wheelspin. The reason this is important to me is that I have been stuck on uphill roads and once in a customers driveway in the snow. My previous car was a 2002 civic sir and before that an Acura RSX and I hated the open diff in the winter. A long time ago I had a Nissan NX2000 which came from the factory with an lsd and it was a beast in the winter. The diff was not inexpensive but I see this as a very cheap alternative to an AWD car (and much easier to work on).

As for the flywheel it is a Racing Beat unit for a 1.6l Miata. I had heard this would fit the 2 but could not confirm it so I took a risk and ordered the flywheel and it just happened to work. Just to confirm and to make this searchable, a 1.6l Miata flywheel does fit a Mazda 2. Its hard to tell how much difference it made since I did not drive the car much before doing the work, but it downshifts very nicely. The drive by wire calibration isn't as snappy as I would like so I may have it tuned if the intake does not give satisfactory results.

I believe OrangeVirus Tuning offers ECU tuning, but I personally have not gotten it. Their website doesn't have anything for the 2, but when I emailed them, they referred me to the Mazda 3 handheld tuner.

Back