Engine rattle on 2009 Mazda 5

xtwzx

:
2009 Mazda 5
Recently had this "rattle" sounds come from my 2009 Mazda 5. The rattle speeds up as the RPMs rise. In the video I revved to 3k RPMs and you can hear it speed up.

Have also had some AC reliability issues but not sure if it's related.

Seems to be coming from the back of the engine but can't pinpoint it.

Any help would be great.

See vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD8E29FTy7I

It seems like generally most engine rattle sounds are due to loose heat sheld on the exhaust. Take the cover off and look at the back of the engine while it's running to see if you can see a heat shield wobbling loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have 2009 mazda 5 with 96+k miles that intermittently rattles when accelarating bet. 2-3 rpm. Beyond that the rattle disappears.

Was it it a heat shield causing the rattle?

I have the same problem. I keep researching this for 2 years now and the noise still there. I recently change the pulley of the tensioner and the serpentine belt and the small belt due to all my research saying that if you change the tensioner and the belt the noise will be gone. like I said the noise still there no luck.

Most likely a heat shield on the exhaust. Get under the car and hit your fist against the heat shield sections starting from the exhaust manifold going back. When you hear the familiar rattle, either separate the shield from whatever it's hitting to cause the noise or secure it more with a metal screw clamp.

I have similar rattle sounds, but it only occurs when AC is on. It never happens otherwise. It's impossible to diagnose, because it will not happen in P when idling.

Back