TSB - Creaking noise at low speed and over any bumps - 2016 CX-9.

AreDee

Contributor
:
2016 CX-9 Grand Touring Sonic Silver 2017 CX-5 GT Eternal Blue
Several evenings ago on an errand run I noticed a creaking noise from the suspension of the passenger rear wheel. It isn't apparent at highway speed but definitely noticeable at lower speeds and over a few bumps. I could also replicate it by opening the rear passenger door and bouncing the suspension. For me it was like fingernails on a chalkboard. I was able to get it into the dealership the next day. Within 5 minutes the service advisor showed me a technical service bulletin describing the situation perfectly. One of the rear springs is touching a rubber housing and making the noise. They had to order a new spring. This apparently only presents itself on the passenger side. I'll check in again with an update after the fix that will happen with an oil change in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting this, I have a noise every time I pull into my driveway when I go over the curb. I will bring this up at my next service.

I have the same on my July 2016 AU CX9. Service team recognise the fault and have had the part on order for 5 months....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got lucky. My spring is in at the dealership and I am getting it fixed at my oil change next week.

I got lucky. My spring is in at the dealership and I am getting it fixed at my oil change next week.

Took my car in for service and spring replacement for the creaking noise. The dealership then noticed that it would need a rubber housing as well as it was worn. I'll be taking it back in when the rubber housing is in. They said they located one and it should be in soon.. We'll see....

I finally got this done late last week - the rubber housing finally arrived. It is an enhanced spring that was installed as well as the identical rubber housing. The creaking noise is gone - all work was under warranty.

Thanks so much for posting about this. I thought I was going nuts -- I hear the noise every time I pull into the driveway.

Thanks so much for posting about this. I thought I was going nuts -- I hear the noise every time I pull into the driveway.

No problem! I'd get it in to the dealer as soon as possible - the rubber housing that will probably need to be replaced may take a while to locate as they have replaced quite a few of them. They should easily be able to find the TSB. Good luck!

Took my car in for service and spring replacement for the creaking noise. The dealership then noticed that it would need a rubber housing as well as it was worn. I'll be taking it back in when the rubber housing is in. They said they located one and it should be in soon.. We'll see....

I'm wondering why a 2016 vehicle would have anything that needs to be replaced in 2017? A "rubber housing" is "worn?" Was that part making physical contact with the defective spring causing it to wear abnormally? Else, I would be asking why a part only 1 year old would need replacing so soon.

Just FYI.

2016 Mazda CX-9 with same problem. The link to the TSB suggested replacing both springs. Did anyone get both replaced or did the dealer only replace the right side? Mine replaced one and when I mentioned the information on the link provided here they said it is from a blog and not the actual TSB.
Thank you,

Is this on the rear or front? I've had both front strut towers replaced on my 2016 GT and noticed smaller noises in the rear. But also a larger "thunk" when rolling to a stop and turning the wheel ever so slightly. Like a CV joint making noise or the car is shifting into 1st gear. Either way I'm sick of my car being back for these issues. Ready to get an attorney and get my money back.

Is this on the rear or front? I've had both front strut towers replaced on my 2016 GT and noticed smaller noises in the rear. But also a larger "thunk" when rolling to a stop and turning the wheel ever so slightly. Like a CV joint making noise or the car is shifting into 1st gear. Either way I'm sick of my car being back for these issues. Ready to get an attorney and get my money back.
This was the rear. It sounds like you have a different issue going on.

Is this only a 2016 issue and has been fixed in the 2017/2018 models?
I think that it has been fixed. It appears that it happened during a specific period of manufacturing. According to my service advisor, it was just a faulty batch of springs. He said that the problem was isolated to that build period.

Thanks for sharing the post! I heard the same noise from the rear passenger of my 16 GT. The dealership ordered the part and had it replaced. I asked if the spring on the left rear should also be replaced but the service adviser told me that they had to hear the noise first.

Back