Multiple key turns to start up

keepemrunning

:
2002 Mazda Protege5 LX 2.0L
Hello fellow Mazda owners and mechanics. Really appreciate any advice on this. The car has problems with intermittent no-start / no-crank. The car will start, but only after multiple turns of the key.

History: I have a 2002 Protege5 LX 2.0L with 270K+mi. I got this May 2014 and was already well over 200Kmi. The starting problem first began late autumn 2016. Sometimes the car starts after a few turns, and sometimes after a couple dozen. It's random, except I notice that it seems to take more turns the shorter the time between actual starts. So after sitting overnight, the car starts with one or few turns. But starting every time after when going places throughout the day becomes more difficult. So again, it's not a straight up no-start issue, it's intermittent.

I have replaced the spark plugs last summer (misfire issue), starter motor 12/16, and battery (840 CCA) 2 weeks ago. Where I'm focused now is the starter motor possibly going bad. Put in a new Duralast battery 840 CCA a couple weeks ago. It was better, but soon the problem returned.

Again, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back