Coming up on 60k service - questions from newb

Its been a long while since I've had a car to 60K miles, but I've decided to get out of the leasing game and bought a 2017 CX-5 that I plan on driving till the wheels fall off. I have a garage and tools and do my own oil changes, though I expect I will bring the car back to the dealer when brakes, or anything much beyond an oil change is required. Personally I subscribe to the theory that if the transmission is functioning properly its best not to screw with it. Im honestly not sure I trust a shop to drop the pan and reseal it properly and I think the only way to change the fluid is to drop the pan....but thats just me. As far as diff fluid, that is a fairly simple job the shop is not likely to screw up. I bought a beater 1998 Rav 4 last year with 160,000 miles on it and changed the diff fluid myself. I doubt it had ever been changed, in fact I would bet most people never change it and unless the transaxle is submerged, I'm not sure its even necessary. I always use a dedicated tire shop for rotations and other tire issues. Air filter can be done without tools I assume...so I would do it myself. One thing I have come to believe SHOULD be done is brake flud change...which I think only VW ever reccomends....but I think it is necessary. My basic rule is not to return to the dealer unless absolutely necessary....but as I get older and less motivated im sure that will change...just my two cents which is worth less than that!

Last edited:
A transmission drain and fill isn't a bad idea, if it hasn't been done before. If you've just been doing oil changes and no other fluids like brake, the 60k service might be good. Seems a bit high in price, probably has a lot of filler items. An air filter costs $14 and is easy to self replace. Same with the cabin filter.

edit: just noticed it's CPO. Any idea of past maintenance? Would a CPO vehicle with those miles have had some of these items done?

I have a 2013 CPO and changed plugs, ATF fluid, rear and front diff at 75k, because I was noticing a performance decrease. I don't think there is a magic number here - just listen and feel what your vehicle is telling you. I noticed it mostly up hills and low gear acceleration. A lot smoother now.

75k seemed like a good spot since power-train warranty goes to 100K and if something was faulty due to a fluid change I have 25k miles to figure it out and also 150k is an easy number to remember for next service.

CPO gets a 300 point service before they sell. Mine was in great shape when I bought it, but i doubt ATF or gear lube was changed based on my experience.

You might want to pop the top cover off the top of the engine and check for this oil leak, seems to be common around that mileage. Should be covered under your power train warranty.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123848381-Small-Leak-on-Top-of-Engine-(Sensor-)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    623.3 KB · Views: 884
Last edited:
The very first thing to do is read the maintenance section in your owners manual. I do believe that anything else is not needed unless it makes you feel happy. Dealers are know for up-selling services that the manufacture doesn't think is necessary or required. Ed

Back