75k mile maintenance observation / recommendation

I see it is a '13... I think the fluid change is a red herring.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...e-Bulletins)&p=6322426&viewfull=1#post6322426

TSB: 05-004/14

MULTI-MODEL - WHINING NOISE FROM AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE

BULLETIN NOTE

This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletins 05-004/14 issued on 03/05/14 and 03/19/14. The DESCRIPTION has been revised.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2012-2014 Mazda3 with VINS lower than JM1BM1K73E1144608 (produced before November 11, 2013)

2013-2014 CX-5 with VINS lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013)

2014 Mazda6 with VINS lower than JM1GJ1U60E1158307 (produced before November 12, 2013)

DESCRIPTION

Some customers may complain of a whining noise from the automatic transaxle when driving at 10 mph and above. The noise:

Depends on the vehicle’s speed only (the more speed, the more noise)

Occurs with all types of driving (acceleration, deceleration, steady speed)

Does not depend on rpm, gear, or ATF temperature

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Verify customer concern.
2. Replace the 6AT assembly with a new one according to MS3 online instructions or Workshop Manual section 05-17.
3. Verify repair.

I see it is a '13... I think the fluid change is a red herring.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...e-Bulletins)&p=6322426&viewfull=1#post6322426

MULTI-MODEL - WHINING NOISE FROM AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE

BULLETIN NOTE

This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletins 05-004/14 issued on 03/05/14 and 03/19/14. The DESCRIPTION has been revised.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2012-2014 Mazda3 with VINS lower than JM1BM1K73E1144608 (produced before November 11, 2013)

2013-2014 CX-5 with VINS lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013)

2014 Mazda6 with VINS lower than JM1GJ1U60E1158307 (produced before November 12, 2013)

DESCRIPTION

Some customers may complain of a whining noise from the automatic transaxle when driving at 10 mph and above. The noise:

Depends on the vehicle’s speed only (the more speed, the more noise)

Occurs with all types of driving (acceleration, deceleration, steady speed)

Does not depend on rpm, gear, or ATF temperature

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Verify customer concern.
2. Replace the 6AT assembly with a new one according to MS3 online instructions or Workshop Manual section 05-17.
3. Verify repair.

So you trust a Mazda tsb...and ignore Mazda maintenance recommendations? Mazda went to the ends of the earth to keep you people from wrecking their transmissions. And yet...

I mean, it has No conventional dipstick. No drain plug. It's not meant to be messed with.

If we were talking a flush I would be with you... a partial fluid swap... no I really don't believe that is cause of failure unless OP didn't refill with correct amount.

It does have a drain plug and dipstick though. Dipstick is hard to reach but you can still measure fluid level.

Hard to reach and bolted down.
I've played the game. I won the prize. I've had enough transmissions die from drain and fill to know better nowadays. Ymmv, but OP learnt.

Do note though... as vehicle ages I would be reluctant to swap fluid if it hadn't been done before. I think after 60K miles I would probably let it ride myself.

I'm only the cranky stubborn you must fluid swap guy if I am starting out with a new vehicle or one less than 50k miles.

I changed the spark plugs on my 528i at around 75k miles after an ignition coil burned out and it didnt make much of a difference. I guess it was the diff fluids then?

either way, 75k on original spark plugs is way too much. you should change them around 60k.

The whining and performance decrease was the reason I serviced the vehicle. My wife would comment that my car was starting to sound like a go cart and I recall a time when I almost got hit taking a quick left because gear would not engage off a dead stop. Transmission was still working even though something had failed around 50 to 60k causing the whirling sound, that progressed to a grinding sound 20k miles later. Servicing my vehicle’s fluids does not support your personal narrative that it kills parts. Of course YMMV.

Funny thing about that TSB.... I was convinced the sound/problem was a wheel bearing (experienced that before), but as I played with the throttle response, like throttling a boat... it was getting more and more apparent that the noise was not based on wheel revolution.

Keep in mind - I’m just a driver, not a mechanic.

On the positive side, if it’s determined to be this TSB then that transaxle went almost 30k to 40k miles on a defect and I didn’t tow her in.

The whining and performance decrease was the reason I serviced the vehicle. My wife would comment that my car was starting to sound like a go cart and I recall a time when I almost got hit taking a quick left because gear would not engage off a dead stop. Transmission was still working even though something had failed around 50 to 60k causing the whirling sound, that progressed to a grinding sound 20k miles later. Servicing my vehicle’s fluids does not support your personal narrative that it kills parts. Of course YMMV.

That is new info to the thread, or I missed it. Sounds like you had a legit defect. Glad they took care!

I changed the spark plugs on my 528i at around 75k miles after an ignition coil burned out and it didnt make much of a difference. I guess it was the diff fluids then?

either way, 75k on original spark plugs is way too much. you should change them around 60k.
I actually left the stock plugs in my ws.6 for 147k miles. It was just as fast as it was when it left the lot. Running right next to 2010 camaro ss, bone stock. Kill in c5 vettes etc. Getting 27 to 28mpg on road trips.

That is new info to the thread, or I missed it. Sounds like you had a legit defect. Glad they took care!

Check first post for that clue. Funny I didn’t put it together, but I am not particularly gifted with mechanics.

Yes - obsessively watching transmission videos on YouTube, this repair is no small task. Glad I had the CPO because I did not recognize within the 60k. I already miss her!

Check first post for that clue. Funny I didn’t put it together, but I am not particularly gifted with mechanics.

Yes - obsessively watching transmission videos on YouTube, this repair is no small task. Glad I had the CPO because I did not recognize within the 60k. I already miss her!

Skilled or not, you'd need special kit to do the job. I have an aftermarket warranty because, after thinking long and hard, I am going t o do one of two things. Dump this car at 95-99K miles, or keep it until the wheels fall off. Residual vs. owed is going to determine that. Last time I checked, my 2015 Touring AWD was worth $13,500. That was 8mo ago. I checked again today, and the dealership gave me a $10-13K range, depending on condition (I asked for a fly-by estimate, no driving my car or anything, I was just t here to buy a part and wanted something to mull over).

If they give you 10 then they think they can sell it for 15. I would opt for a private sale under 100k miles.... something like 80k and warranty transfer to sweeten the deal in the 13k dollar range. I would think these hold value better then a 5 year old GM equinox or the like.

My plan is always to drive until they won’t move. Cost of ownership is expensive enough, let alone payments.

Im very alarmed with all these transmission failures. Is it because of the added weight in the Cx-5 perhaps? My Mazda 6 has about 60k on it, and the transmission has been doing quite well.

I sense a transmission failure is uncommon and that your sense of alarm might be skewed due to reading forums where issues are more likely to be discussed then folks saying everything is “a ok”. I certainly can’t guide you either way, but listening to your vehicle and performing maintenance, should bubble issues to the surface.

There are thousands of variables and thousands of parts - so to generalize based on my experience would be a mistake. I just thought to share, since it could be a good lesson for others, not to be afraid of your dealer or servicing your vehicle.

So far this has been a positive experience with a minor inconvenience. I will certainly update if that changes. Weight could certainly be a part of it, especially if something in there was faulty as I suspect.

I sense a transmission failure is uncommon and that your sense of alarm might be skewed due to reading forums where issues are more likely to be discussed then folks saying everything is “a ok”. I certainly can’t guide you either way, but listening to your vehicle and performing maintenance, should bubble issues to the surface.

There are thousands of variables and thousands of parts - so to generalize based on my experience would be a mistake. I just thought to share, since it could be a good lesson for others, not to be afraid of your dealer or servicing your vehicle.

So far this has been a positive experience with a minor inconvenience. I will certainly update if that changes. Weight could certainly be a part of it, especially if something in there was faulty as I suspect.
We appreciate your update on transmission problem of your 2013 CX-5. I read the TSB 05-004/14 from another website a while ago with more details. It did say The whining noise is caused by front input shaft bearing, and Mazda made a production change on transmission front casing to prevent this problem from happening. This means the older version of SkyActiv-Drive transmission before the casing change will be facing input shaft bearing problem sooner or later. That’s why when our Moderator Chris_Top_Her needed a used transmission, he was looking for specific version with new front casing. Yeah when the bearing started generating noise, it could still functioning for quite a while like you’d found out.

Sorry Unobtanium I totally agree with Kedis82ZE8 about ATF change. My 1998、180,372-mile Honda CR-V has been getting ATF drain-and-fill 4 times so far. The differences are Honda does have the ATF Drain-and-Fill listed in maintenance schedule with exact amount of ATF needed specified, no bolt securing the dipstick, and easy-to-access、nothing needs to be removed during the drain-and-fill process.

We appreciate your update on transmission problem of your 2013 CX-5. I read the TSB 05-004/14 from another website a while ago with more details. It did say The whining noise is caused by front input shaft bearing, and Mazda made a production change on transmission front casing to prevent this problem from happening. This means the older version of SkyActiv-Drive transmission before the casing change will be facing input shaft bearing problem sooner or later. That’s why when our Moderator Chris_Top_Her needed a used transmission, he was looking for specific version with new front casing. Yeah when the bearing started generating noise, it could still functioning for quite a while like you’d found out.

Sorry Unobtanium I totally agree with Kedis82ZE8 about ATF change. My 1998、180,372-mile Honda CR-V has been getting ATF drain-and-fill 4 times so far. The differences are Honda does have the ATF Drain-and-Fill listed in maintenance schedule with exact amount of ATF needed specified, no bolt securing the dipstick, and easy-to-access、nothing needs to be removed during the drain-and-fill process.

It's fine that you disagree, I'm just saying I've never changed ATF on a vehicle without negative results, including those meant to have it done, and within the specified intervals. So now I don't. Mainly because I've never seen anyone have issues NOT changing it. Does it get dark? Does it look like ass? Yeah, but the vehicles with 200K+ shift just fine.

Anyway, we will see how t his does me, if I keep the CX5 past 100K. I'm torn on it. Honestly, I'd like to change the ATF and not doing so bugs me, but I'd have to do it every 30K miles to feel good about that decision, and I'm not at all convinced it's a good idea on these CX5's, even still.

Just to update - remanufactured transmission installed and she is driving like a dream again. Paperwork suggests faulty part referenced in the TSB and a repair related to a whining noise above 10mph. Dealer was excellent to work with and had me back in the CX5 in roughly 2 business days. Appreciate the info.

I was undecided on ATF oil change - but I am now in favor of it. Lifetime for Mazda means life of transmission and if their cars last 150K - they are not liable for any Tx issues. Lifetime never means 300-400K. There could be examples but driving habits and environments need to be considered.

Unob is in a spot - he needs to decide if he wants an ATF change as he has 75K miles. Once its 90 or 100 - probably too late.
I would do one at 60+ k miles and then at 120K. Specially with so many Txn failures happening - just keeping oil relatively clean and less abrasive will help with these txns.

Btw Scotty Kilmer convinced me. He just released a Y tube video for txn oil change lol.

I was undecided on ATF oil change - but I am now in favor of it. Lifetime for Mazda means life of transmission and if their cars last 150K - they are not liable for any Tx issues. Lifetime never means 300-400K. There could be examples but driving habits and environments need to be considered.

Unob is in a spot - he needs to decide if he wants an ATF change as he has 75K miles. Once its 90 or 100 - probably too late.
I would do one at 60+ k miles and then at 120K. Specially with so many Txn failures happening - just keeping oil relatively clean and less abrasive will help with these txns.

Btw Scotty Kilmer convinced me. He just released a Y tube video for txn oil change lol.

I'm not going to change it because I've never had a problem with an automatic that I didn't change it in, but have ALWAYS had issues changing it. Even before 75K miles. So I'll pass. I think my Dad's work van has around 450K miles on the OEM fluid, now, and he isn't a gentle driver. Surely Mazda can keep up with early 2000's GM transmission...

Back