blown lsd- sell now? value?

Another, what's my car worth question.

Dang it- blew the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) yesterday. Maybe this is a sign i should finally move on.

So now I'm thinking about selling it to my a neighbor kid who's had one of these cars in the past and has always admired my well preserved example (<70k, garaged most winters, stock). He just asked to buy it 2 days ago! So, what's my car worth? Stock wheels and overall car are in excellent condition. K1-TS wheels too. Fixed WGA valve (stock), have autox rear sway bar fix so no clunking.
Ignore the ~$3k cost to fix the LSD. (He may do so himself and upgrade things in the process. I'd probably gt OEM, in case i keep autocrossing in stock class, assuming the new one is improved a bit and wont break again anytime soon.)

(I haven't heard if these LSDs fail due to fatigue loading or of being over stressed single loading. Anyone know? just curious. In my case i've autocrossed it plenty and drive spiritedly every occasion I can and yet it always survived, but yesterday i did a max shock loading condition. Specifically, i was going to grab second but instead decided to stay in first. So the sequence was max in first gear, let off gas, then abruptly back on max gas at probably max torque rpm at about the rpm the engine bucks a bit. There was only a little steering angle dialed in as i was finishing a 90 degree turn.)

Another, what's my car worth question.

Dang it- blew the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) yesterday. Maybe this is a sign i should finally move on.

So now I'm thinking about selling it to my a neighbor kid who's had one of these cars in the past and has always admired my well preserved example (<70k, garaged most winters, stock). He just asked to buy it 2 days ago! So, what's my car worth? Stock wheels and overall car are in excellent condition. K1-TS wheels too. Fixed WGA valve (stock), have autox rear sway bar fix so no clunking.
Ignore the ~$3k cost to fix the LSD. (He may do so himself and upgrade things in the process. I'd probably gt OEM, in case i keep autocrossing in stock class, assuming the new one is improved a bit and wont break again anytime soon.)

(I haven't heard if these LSDs fail due to fatigue loading or of being over stressed single loading. Anyone know? just curious. In my case i've autocrossed it plenty and drive spiritedly every occasion I can and yet it always survived, but yesterday i did a max shock loading condition. Specifically, i was going to grab second but instead decided to stay in first. So the sequence was max in first gear, let off gas, then abruptly back on max gas at probably max torque rpm at about the rpm the engine bucks a bit. There was only a little steering angle dialed in as i was finishing a 90 degree turn.)
It's worth what he'll pay. I'd say 2500 and work your way down.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

One owner, garaged, no rust and 70K?

I'd start at 5K and work my way down. LSDs are wear items on these cars. lol.

3K is WAY too much to swap another OEM one in. More like 1/3rd of that. :)

Regardless of mileage, the car is inoperable, so with that being said I would say the 2500 and work down from there option is a good place to start
In good working order these cars dont go for much anymore. and fixing it wouldnt HAVE to be another lsd. Plenty of open diff options for less then 200 from a junkyard to get it running again

Plenty people blow up the LSD in MSPs. Usually from launching.

The dif is now open, but the car drives fine. At least that's how it worked for me. I noticed the inside wheel spinning in tight corners, so I tested the lsd and saw that it was toast.

thanks all.
Natey, the car grinds like a mofo now- there aint no driving until this thing is fixed. i'm still considering options; tending to fix and keep. just got to figure out how to fix this (up/downgrade, stock, etc.)

Dang, I guess I got lucky when I got unlucky. lol

GLWS! (burnout)

Have you driven anything as a potential replacement? A couple years ago I drove an MS3 or two and ended up just putting a few bucks into the MSP instead. IMO, the MSP is much more fun to drive. Yours might be worth fixing instead of letting go of. They don't make em like that anymore and once it's gone you probably wont find another unmolested one. Ever.

/my .2 pennies.

Swapping the LSD can be done yourself, it's not as difficult as you may think. There are not many MSPs out there anymore in good condition and with low mileage. One of mine is in good shape but has 176k and already had a motor and trans swap. A mostly original, under 100k miles MSP is hard to find these days, I would fix it and keep it or fix it and sell it if you want to move on, but selling it not running will not get you more than ~$1k.

I agree 100%. Sell it for anything under 3k and I have a feeling you'll regret it. I know I would.

Another thing to think about is how hard it is to find a new car with even a clutch pedal. The MSP is a dying breed. No driver's aids, under 3000 pounds, turbocharged, LSD, (well, about 1/2 the time), neutral cornering, getting rare, pretty quick, good looking, room for all your gear...etc etc etc.

Even the king of Japanese sleeper sedans, the EVO VIII doesn't have folding rear seats, which is a deal killer for me at least. The MSP is nearly perfect. Sure we'd all like more power, but the fun factor in these cars is definitely there, even at 170+-HP.

keep it!!

If you really want to get the MSP on the road and need a LSD,I have one but i wont sell it until i get my MFactory LSD unit installed in my car first.
I have a 2003.5 LSD revised edition(87k) that i planed on getting wielded and keeping for back stock but if all goes well with the MFactory I'll never need the factory one again.
How much of a hurry are you in to get a lsd?
And how much HP are you gonna push to the trans?

Ruckus, thanks for the idea!
I'm not in a big hurry as i have another car. The Speed is sitting in the street so i'd like to get it moved off in a couple weeks so the neighbors don't get too annoyed (been sitting there a couple weeks already). (My driveway is a hill, so I can't get it out of the street.) How does that match your timing?
My car is stock, so standard horsepower to the trans; i wasn't going the MFactory route because of this.
Do i really need to weld the revised part?! I figured that improved version should of fixed the situation enough without welding?
To clarify, you have the revised differential, GSY1-27-190 correct? Not simply the LSD from the 2003.5 car. I assume the revised differential came out after the 2003.5 cars were sold. I ask because I have a 2003.5 and assume that I broke the standard part, not the revised part.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Does a blown LSD typically require a new case? I'm wondering if there is a typical situation as the tranny shops say they can't give a good quote until they see the carnage and determine if a whole new tranny makes more sense (more expensive for the whole tranny obviously, but less shop time and more comprehensive warranty).

Thanks

If I had more time/space/tools/knowledge, this seems like it'd be a fun project to fix this car's tranny myself.

I can check on the parts number later this week when i visit my mechanic,just wanted to give you a heads up in case you want to get a regular protege trans and swap in the lsd.

I still haven't put in the MFactory lsd yet,should be doing that this week if all goes to plan.
Ill find out what exactly im replacing,when i have it out.
Pretty sure its the revised one since my car was one of the last few hundred built but no telling what the previous owners had done with it.
Just found out the head was ported/polished by a previous owner for example when i took it in for a valve job.

Back