2014 CX5 - Metallic rattle in/near passenger side suspension

robber

:
2014 Mazda CX-5
Hi all, please forgive me if this has been answered in previous discussions.
I have only recently bought a 2014 CX5 (right hand drive) and have noticed a metallic clang/rattle in the front passenger side suspension area (I believe). The rattle mainly occurs turning left or right and over uneven road, although sometimes will appear heading in a straight line over uneven road. It has been to Mazda on three seperate occassions and they have been unable to replicate or resolve. Even passengers who have ridden in the car have commented on the sound. In an attempt to fix the issue I have had the brake pads replaced and brake system bolts checked. Does anyone know what may be the cause and how to fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It could be as small as a bushing to a strut needing replaced. Make sure it's actually coming from the front also because it can be in the rear and sound like the front easily.

If you can replicate the problem whenever you want, I'd take out my phone and video the issue (obviously with sound), in all situations where it happens (turns, rough road etc.) and show it to the mechanic.

It could be as small as a bushing to a strut needing replaced. Make sure it's actually coming from the front also because it can be in the rear and sound like the front easily.
I guess this is the main issue I have faced. I am the only driver of car and passengers who hear the noise just say 'it sounds like the front passenger suspension area'. The only way I can replicate the issue is to find bumpy sections of tar (mainly in the middle of intersections) and drive over them. The best way I can describe the noise is like a screw driver being tapped against an empty tin can. Kind of like a 'tang tang tang' sound. I thought it was a heat shield being hit by the exhaust initially but they all appear to firm and in place. The noise has really taken the shine of the purchase of the car :-(

Last edited:
If you can replicate the problem whenever you want, I'd take out my phone and video the issue (obviously with sound), in all situations where it happens (turns, rough road etc.) and show it to the mechanic.
I offered to video the sound for the dealership service area but they said that was not enough. They want me to keep taking a technician for drive each time I bring it back for the same issue which is really time consuming. I will try to mount phone today to video the sound and post in here (if possible).

Latest posts

Back