Steering wheel peeling in 2016

jhu8

:
16 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech
This peeling is very small and most wouldn't notice it, but I do. Easily. It's in a three different spots, one being the size of a piece of rice and the other two spots about half the size of a piece of rice. It seems like its the outer "glossy" layer and underneath the peal its dull. This is minimal and not necessarily a huge deal but, my worry is what's to come in the future. Guessing it's only going to get worse. Has anyone had anything like this happen with their CX5's steering wheel? 2016 with about 24k miles on it. I haven't cleaned it with any wipes or anything either because I know they can mess with steering wheel. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and looking to get it replaced while I am still under warranty. I hope this is possible.

Be careful with the dealer saying part of wear and tear and then refusing to replace it.

Got any pictures? I know on my 2014 the part of the outer wheel facing the windshield started to really fade drastically. Noticed it about a year ago, I rarely paid attention to that side, I just put a cover on it afterward and did the same to my 2016 to protect it from the sun. I keep meaning to pick up that 303 Protectant stuff but keep forgetting.

Be careful with the dealer saying part of wear and tear and then refusing to replace it.

Hmm very good point. I could totally see them saying that. Any tips on responding to that? My thought was just saying that of all my cars that had much more miles, their leather wrapped steering wheels never had this issue. Certainly not on a new vehicle.

Got any pictures? I know on my 2014 the part of the outer wheel facing the windshield started to really fade drastically. Noticed it about a year ago, I rarely paid attention to that side, I just put a cover on it afterward and did the same to my 2016 to protect it from the sun. I keep meaning to pick up that 303 Protectant stuff but keep forgetting.

I will post tomorrow morning with better lighting. It's around 10-11 o'clock on the steering wheel so its not like its directly hitting the sun. Either way if it is the sun, seems like a faulty product. I am not sure though.

Hmm very good point. I could totally see them saying that. Any tips on responding to that? My thought was just saying that of all my cars that had much more miles, their leather wrapped steering wheels never had this issue. Certainly not on a new vehicle.

I would suggest saying the vehicle is only 2 years old and this sort of thing should not be happening at an early stage. Also be prepared to refute claims that substances on your hands may have contributed to this peeling.

Is your CX-5 parked in the sun most of the time (scratch)
Does the interior of your CX-5 get quite hot when parked especially during the summer (scratch)

No way the dealer tries to get out of it. Not even 2 years old, that is not wear and tear.
Are you positive it's a worn spot? I only ask because I had a white spot on mine. Thought it was also peeling. I was annoyed. But then dug at it with my finger nail and it came off. Wasn't torn. 3 spots though? Yea I doubt that's it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would suggest saying the vehicle is only 2 years old and this sort of thing should not be happening at an early stage. Also be prepared to refute claims that substances on your hands may have contributed to this peeling.

Is your CX-5 parked in the sun most of the time (scratch)
Does the interior of your CX-5 get quite hot when parked especially during the summer (scratch)

Okay thanks. Yeah, I work in the medical field so my not like I have dirty hands for instance if I was a mechanic, in construction, etc.

Um yeah, I'd say in the summer it gets very hot sometimes. But I mean, its only for a couple months that its like this here in Baltimore and no different weather than what my other cars had been subjected to.

No way the dealer tries to get out of it. Not even 2 years old, that is not wear and tear.
Are you positive it's a worn spot? I only ask because I had a white spot on mine. Thought it was also peeling. I was annoyed. But then dug at it with my finger nail and it came off. Wasn't torn. 3 spots though? Yea I doubt that's it.

Yeah it's definitely torn. I tried scratching at it and I could feel the surface difference and nothing came up. If anything, I just had black leather on my finger. Extremely small piece of debris though. But yeah, I hope you're right. I agree that no way could 2 years into ownership be considered wear and tear. Most people would probably just shrug it off and laugh at me but I mean, its there. Its noticeable. And I shouldn't have to worry about it this early on.

Okay thanks. Yeah, I work in the medical field so my not like I have dirty hands for instance if I was a mechanic, in construction, etc.

Um yeah, I'd say in the summer it gets very hot sometimes. But I mean, its only for a couple months that its like this here in Baltimore and no different weather than what my other cars had been subjected to.

Then I suspect the weather shouldn't be that much of a factor in the peeling of your steering wheel. My guess is yours was made using poor materials :(

I would as a precautionary measure use a sun screen/shade on your front windscreen and maybe cover up your steering wheel with a towel so stop the suns rays from the front side windows.

They will try. Just saying

Then I suspect the weather shouldn't be that much of a factor in the peeling of your steering wheel. My guess is yours was made using poor materials :(

I would as a precautionary measure use a sun screen/shade on your front windscreen and maybe cover up your steering wheel with a towel so stop the suns rays from the front side windows.

Yeah I have actually been debating getting one of those sun shades. If I can get them to replace it, I definitely will. I know they will probably give me a hard time especially since its a very small spot but my main point is not now, but that it is only going to get worse and I am not going to worry about this post warranty coverage. At least I want to protect myself now as much as possible.

Yeah I have actually been debating getting one of those sun shades. If I can get them to replace it, I definitely will. I know they will probably give me a hard time especially since its a very small spot but my main point is not now, but that it is only going to get worse and I am not going to worry about this post warranty coverage. At least I want to protect myself now as much as possible.

I have a sunshade in my Mazda 6 primarily so the dashboard doesn't crack. Bonus coverage of steering wheel too.

Stick to your guns if they give you a hard time, escalate the matter if needed

They will try. Just saying
Not if they want repeat business. LOL Dealers don't pay for warranty work, at least in my admittedly limited experience, my Volvo dealer is always happy to do recall or warranty work.

Not if they want repeat business. LOL Dealers don't pay for warranty work, at least in my admittedly limited experience, my Volvo dealer is always happy to do recall or warranty work.

You never know. They will always have customers provided word of mouth says they are bad.

Here is a picture of the peeling. Like I said, very small but noticeable and probably only going to get worse.

EDIT: Not sure why the picture is turned but oh well.

2s1w57m.jpg

Weird, yeah that looks like peeling to me.

No peeling here. 2014, 50k miles.

I have the same problem: peeling.

As per the German CX-5 forum, several 2016 cx-5's exhibit this same phenomenon; it appears that these came from the same supplier.

But good news : all these "problem"-steering wheels were exchanged, free of charge.

Good luck!

The dealer ordered the wheel with no resistance at all. Completely agreed with me. Hopefully this new one will be trouble free.

The dealer ordered the wheel with no resistance at all. Completely agreed with me. Hopefully this new one will be trouble free.
Good to know. It must be a known problem for Mazda like p38cyq said. There might be a TSB somewhere. I'd better check mine to make sure. Thanks for the update.

i have a 2016 model and i am on my third steering wheel. first one started peeling at 2,500 miles. second one started peeling at 12,000 miles. new one seems ok so far. both times the dealer just replaced it without any problems at all. they just took a look and said you got a bad wheel and ordered a replacement.

Back