Steering wheel peeling in 2016

Yes, in the TSB, it says that they went to a more tactile and durable material. If only I could find it!

Yes good info! Hopefully people can see this or find it. Try an get all those TSBs done while in warranty.

Dammit...just noticed mine starting to peel this evening - feels like a small nick right at 12 o'clock on the wheel that is similar to the pic jhui8 posted. It was too dark to snap a good photo, but I can clearly see a surface blemish using the flashlight on my phone. I applied a bit of leather conditioner (not cheap stuff) for the time being and will ask the dealer about it when I get an oil change next month.

One question did they have the replacement wheel in stock or the was it special order?

Dammit...just noticed mine starting to peel this evening - feels like a small nick right at 12 o'clock on the wheel that is similar to the pic jhui8 posted. It was too dark to snap a good photo, but I can clearly see a surface blemish using the flashlight on my phone. I applied a bit of leather conditioner (not cheap stuff) for the time being and will ask the dealer about it when I get an oil change next month.

One question did they have the replacement wheel in stock or the was it special order?

It was a special order. Took a week to come in. YMMV at your dealer though. But yeah, definitely get it replaced! The new material feels more durable but who knows. Hopefully it holds up.

No peeling here at 75k for 2013 CX-5 and 30k for 2016 Mazda6.......if it did I'd ask if Mazda was willing to reimburse me for an aftermarket Leather cover :)

It was a special order. Took a week to come in. YMMV at your dealer though. But yeah, definitely get it replaced! The new material feels more durable but who knows. Hopefully it holds up.
It would have to be special order as somehow I doubt Mazda would keep that many spare steering wheels in stock

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

It would have to be special order as somehow I doubt Mazda would keep that many spare steering wheels in stock

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

for the record, I am replying here to say that our '16 Touring is exhibiting the same symptoms as mentioned in this post. The outer layer of the steering wheel at the 0900, 0930, 1000 positions; right where the left hand goes.

When looking at the damage, you can visible see the outer layer has crinkled and in a few spots peeled away to reveal a 2-3mm circular-ish sport where the under layer can be seen.

There is also some damage on the top of the wheel around the 1230-1300 position. The car is garaged most of the time (spouse is stay at home) and when we are out in the sun, we have sun shields.

The wheel was "clean" when we bought it CPO with 8999 miles. It now has 21,2xx and will have been in our possession 1 year in the middle of April (going in for 20k service on Friday); so approx 12,200 miles in that time. I wouldn't call ourselves hard on cars, but in equal fairness our '04 Japanese built Pathfinder had steering wheel covering deterioration at the 7-8 year point in the form of cracking and rough spots.

For the record, I have a 14yo VW GTI with a leather steering wheel (the smooth leather, not the dimpled leather) and its steering wheel is virtually flawless with no signs of wear at any hand position or that can be felt while running your hand around the wheel. The GTI has been in my possession the whole time and has just over 121k miles. It lives in the same garage as the CX-5 and it has a sun shield that is used on a daily basis, year 'round.

I guess I will be asking about the steering wheel material/peeling on Friday, when it goes in for the 20k mile service.

for the record, I am replying here to say that our '16 Touring is exhibiting the same symptoms as mentioned in this post. The outer layer of the steering wheel at the 0900, 0930, 1000 positions; right where the left hand goes.

When looking at the damage, you can visible see the outer layer has crinkled and in a few spots peeled away to reveal a 2-3mm circular-ish sport where the under layer can be seen.

There is also some damage on the top of the wheel around the 1230-1300 position. The car is garaged most of the time (spouse is stay at home) and when we are out in the sun, we have sun shields.

The wheel was "clean" when we bought it CPO with 8999 miles. It now has 21,2xx and will have been in our possession 1 year in the middle of April (going in for 20k service on Friday); so approx 12,200 miles in that time. I wouldn't call ourselves hard on cars, but in equal fairness our '04 Japanese built Pathfinder had steering wheel covering deterioration at the 7-8 year point in the form of cracking and rough spots.

For the record, I have a 14yo VW GTI with a leather steering wheel (the smooth leather, not the dimpled leather) and its steering wheel is virtually flawless with no signs of wear at any hand position or that can be felt while running your hand around the wheel. The GTI has been in my possession the whole time and has just over 121k miles. It lives in the same garage as the CX-5 and it has a sun shield that is used on a daily basis, year 'round.

I guess I will be asking about the steering wheel material/peeling on Friday, when it goes in for the 20k mile service.

Sounds like Mazda quality is less than other manufacturers

⋯ I guess I will be asking about the steering wheel material/peeling on Friday, when it goes in for the 20k mile service.
Although your 2016 CX-5 is a CPO it should be still covered under 3-year/36-month new-car warranty. You should demand your Mazda dealer replacing your leather-peeling steering wheel under TSB 06-001/17 - LEATHER STEERING WHEEL SURFACE WEAR / PEEL. The only problem is according to TSB there're 3 part numbers for CX-5 black-leather steering wheel: KD46-32-982C02 or KDY6-32-982 (Leather, black stitch) and KA0G-32-982 02 (Smooth leather, black stitch), and it's hard to tell which one would last longer. Since your dealer most likely is going to special order it, ask them to order KD46-32-982C02 if I were you as it seems to be the latest revision and the leather should come with more textured feeling and "rough" like the one jhu8 got.

Luckily (or unluckily ;)) the "smooth-leather" steering wheel of my 2016 CX-5 GT with 24,931 miles from factory still looks fine and I couldn't get a new steering wheel last time I went in getting all warranty/TSB services and recalls done right before my new-car warranty expires.

attachment.php

IMG_0258.PNG

They’re using a more durable leather.
The TSB says:
Ref. No. R102/16D said:
CAUSE
This concern is caused by an insufficient wear resistance of the steering wheel surface.
MASS PRODUCTION CHANGE
For Mazda6 (GJ), Mazda3 (BM), and CX-5 (KE), the mass-productions have been discontinued. For, Mazda6 (GL), Mazda2 (DJ) and CX-3 (DK), the wear-resistance of the steering wheel has been improved.

So for those who are out of new-car warranty are out of luck ⋯ :(

Interestingly there's smooth leather steering wheel with RED stitches, K066-32-982, for CX-5 in other regions.

The TSB says:

So for those who are out of new-car warranty are out of luck ⋯ :(

Interestingly there's smooth leather steering wheel with RED stitches, K066-32-982, for CX-5 in other regions.

Not necessarily. There is always some recourse available.

They’ve cured it and are fitting modified steering wheels.

Yes, I mentioned it with the service writer when I took it in for the oil change and they ordered a new wheel [no questions]. It took about 2 weeks for arrival. Now, I just need to schedule another appointment to get it installed.

I will run through all of the controls and keep an eye on the positioning.

Yes, I mentioned it with the service writer when I took it in for the oil change and they ordered a new wheel [no questions]. It took about 2 weeks for arrival. Now, I just need to schedule another appointment to get it installed.

I will run through all of the controls and keep an eye on the positioning.

Good result.

Good result.

Almost...

The good news is the install takes a couple of hours (or less). The new/replacement steering wheel is thicker in circumference than the original '16 wheel. The leather material is definitely different, a slightly lighter shade of black, but seems to provide a more tactile feel.

The not so good news is after the install and driving the car for myself several days afterwards revealed the new steering wheel to be off about 5*-10* to the 1130 position when going straight. If I put the wheel at 1200, the car would jet to the right in a hurry. The old steering wheel did not do this. Car tracks/brakes/goes straight, it is just now the wheel is constantly pointing slightly to the left.

Took the car in Monday; spoke to the service writer on Tuesday (today) and he said the wheel was installed correctly with the pins in the proper position. I don't know how the steering wheel aligns to the shaft and if there are pins or splines or keyed alignment teeth. The techs are now looking into the issue to see why the wheel does not line up straight to make the vehicle track straight. Again, no alignment issues before the replacement. the dealer has been helpful and listens, so I am confident things will turn out good in the end. [I don't want to burn bridges as I'm eyeing a '6 for me; just not sure when...]

Hopefully good news tomorrow (Wed). In the meantime, we're trying out a '17 CX-5 Sport w/Katzkin Leather seats. The first time/drop off got us a '17 CX-5 Grand Touring. Wife liked the GT better...go figure.

Last edited:
Back