Best oil for my Mazda5 2012

Rod_Valenz

:
Mazda, Mazda5 Sport
Hello community, I hope this thread is on the correct area. I'd like to know about the engine oil my car needs. I recently got a used Mazda 5 2012.

I read on the oil cap that my Mazda uses 0w20, but I'm not sure since I have heard two things:

1) One guy told me that since my car is currently 101k miles I need a 5w20 instead.
2) 5w20 is for cold weather, since I'm in Central America the weather is very hot, so I better use 5w30.

Now, I'm very confused. Hope you can give me an idea on what's the best for my Mazda.

Congratulations and welcome -- good car! :)

Given your location, I'd say you don't have much to worry about assuming that your car's engine is good condition and does not use/consume oil. You should have no issues with 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 as well as straight 30 grade oil of major brands. Not sure what is available where you live but Mobil, Castrol, Shell/Pennzoil, Chevron, Valvoline, Motul, etc will work great.

If your engine consumes oil, you may need to look into high mileage oil although I don't know if those are common outside of North America. Valvoline MaxLife is popular in the States among those with older engines that consume oil.

P.S. When you get a chance post pictures of your new ride!

Last edited:
Congratulations and welcome -- good car! :)

I'd say you don't have much to worry about assuming that your car's engine is good condition and does not use/consume oil. You should have no issues with 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 as well as straight 30 grade oil of major brands. Not sure what is available where you live but Mobil, Castrol, Shell/Pennzoil, Chevron, Valvoline, Motul, etc will work great.

If your engine consumes oil, you may need to look into high mileage oil although I don't know if those are common outside of North America. Valvoline MaxLife if popular in the States among those with older engines that consume oil.
Thank you for your reply. We have all of those brands where I live. I was looking for Citgo, but I will go for Valvoline MaxLife since mine is over 100k miles. Thanks again! :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I was looking for Citgo, but I will go for Valvoline MaxLife since mine is over 100k miles.

MaxLife in the States is available as synthetic blend and full synthetic. Both work well for 5000-7000 miles depending on how the car is used. I'm sure Citgo oil will work well too. I've heard good things about Citgo motor oil being sold here.

MaxLife in the States is available as synthetic blend and full synthetic. Both work well for 5000-7000 miles depending on how the car is used. I'm sure Citgo oil will work well too. I've heard good things about Citgo motor oil being sold here.
I will check prices on Saturday for full synthetic Max Life and what Citgo can offer. I've heard good things about Citgo too. Thank you again for your help.

I bought my Mazda5 brand new in 2011 as a 2012 model. 6 years, 83,000 miles. I have down every oil change myself, every 7500 miles. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic 0w-20. Car doesn't burn a single drop of oil.

Thank you all for your answers. I haven't had time to update on this thread. After reading carefully the user's manual it says that on countries in Latin America we can use 5w20 or 5w30. I went for a MaxLife Synthetic Blend and works amazing! Each mile I'm loving more my Mazda5!

Back