Rear Camera vs Rear Cross Traffic Alert vs Rear Parking Sensor System

dulanypeters

:
Car Coming Soon!
I have a 2017 Grand Touring and I believe it is equipped with all 3 of these features....Can anybody explain the differences? They seem to be sort of part of the same thing, and all utilize the rear camera.

When I am in reverse I see the gridlines (the rear camera). When I am backing out of a spot and I there is a car running across the traffic alert sensors will go off (and it shows as a BSM warning). But what is the Rear Parking Sensor System? Is this system in addition to these other two? And what are the alerts.

Also a bit confused as to how to ensure these are all turned 'on'.....

Thx

I have a 2017 Grand Touring and I believe it is equipped with all 3 of these features....Can anybody explain the differences? They seem to be sort of part of the same thing, and all utilize the rear camera.

When I am in reverse I see the gridlines (the rear camera). When I am backing out of a spot and I there is a car running across the traffic alert sensors will go off (and it shows as a BSM warning). But what is the Rear Parking Sensor System? Is this system in addition to these other two? And what are the alerts.

Thx

The rear parking sensor works in conjunction with the rear camera where if you are backing up to say another car or wall while parking, it gives off a proximity warning to gauge the distance using those 4 tiny sensors found on the rear bumpers before hitting the obstruction. To simply explain it, rear parking sensors work off of the sensors from rear bumper that's short distance while the RCTA is more of a longer-distance warning that uses radars found inside the rear side bumpers (radars not visible from exterior) that senses pedestrian or vehicles on-coming from both sides as far as 15ft away - the warnings are both audible and visible (appear in backup camera and side mirror). Hope this helps you better understand the differences and their intended purposes.

Thanks...Do you know at what distance the warning go off (like if backing up toward a wall or a parked car)?

Thx. I realize I did not have the parking sensor turned on. It's a bit confusing since all the others switches are set to on and to turn them off you actively push them (and a light shows). Parking sensor is the opposite. But I guess maybe the sensor is only something people turn on as needed (in a parking lot).

Thx. I realize I did not have the parking sensor turned on. It's a bit confusing since all the others switches are set to on and to turn them off you actively push them (and a light shows). Parking sensor is the opposite. But I guess maybe the sensor is only something people turn on as needed (in a parking lot).

I actually always leave it on (rear parking sensors) that way I won't have to remember turning them on when parking

Thx

Here's an explanation of how rear cross traffic alert works:

Back