Broken clip/hose connection above intake manifold

Blue Pro5

:
Mazda Protege5
Hey all,

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but looking to replace a broken clip/hose connector on top of the intake manifold. Not sure what it's called, but hope to fix it quickly. Looking closely at it, it seems as though a prior "mechanic" probably noticed and/or broke it, then attempted to glue it back down. There is glue residue around the base of it.

Any help is appreciated. This pic shows both the green and white electrical connections, the broken unit is the white one on the right.
n3S1DKd.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
Did you put an image up on your post? Looks like it may be a broken link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not wrong. (yes)

Green is VTCS, white is VICS.
VTCS = Variable Tumble Control System. VICS = Variable Interial Charging System
The VICS turns on at 5250 rpms, and VTCS is for cold starts.

Check this old post out:

See the green and white connectors right below the red strut tower bar? Kinda center-passenger side?
cache.php

The white one is the solenoid that controls the secondary intake shutter valve. It's also called an EGR vacuum solenoid. The green one is the exact same solenoid, but it controls something else. Same part tho, if you're in the junkyard searching around either one will work.
wink.gif

If you want a new one, they're semi cheap and you can replace it yourself in 5 min with no tools.
http://www.carid.com/dorman/egr-vac...oyJdBobXXLmwh0aTBNcvLgEUvwIq8aBSTwaAlhk8P8HAQ

Before anyone jumps down my throat to correct me. I'm not saying that's the EGR solenoid. I'm saying that it's the exact same part number.

Last edited:
Thanks you guys, I knew I could count on this forum to supply the knowledge and answers I needed. (headbang)

What should I be noticing in terms of how the car is running with this solenoid not functioning?

Loss of power/maybe some stumbling at the higher end (above 5k or so) It basically controls Mazda's version of Vtec.

It looks like it's seen better days, and might have been toast for awhile now. I'll bet you'll notice the difference when you replace it.

It's your car and to each his own, so I'm definitely not telling you what to do, but I'd bail the red wire covers. Who knows if the end of that thing sawed through your wire or pulled on it in a weird way?

Loss of power/maybe some stumbling at the higher end (above 5k or so) It basically controls Mazda's version of Vtec.

It looks like it's seen better days, and might have been toast for awhile now. I'll bet you'll notice the difference when you replace it.

It's your car and to each his own, so I'm definitely not telling you what to do, but I'd bail the red wire covers. Who knows if the end of that thing sawed through your wire or pulled on it in a weird way?

Gotcha. It doesn't get pushed very hard anymore with well over 250k on the original motor (some work done but not enough). I'll take your advice and remove the red wire/hose covers, they were an impulse mod nearly 12 years ago.

Solenoid received in the mail yesterday and replaced. When I disconnected the hose from the back of the old solenoid, it sounded like air being let out of a tire. Everything seems fine with the new one in place, even rev'ed up the motor to 5500 in a couple of gears to see how it felt. Seems smooth, but no difference noted.

Back