Nearest Mazda Dealer is 2 hours Away...How Big a Disadvantage?

OldGinger

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Red / Parchment

I've already bought my 2017 CX-5, so in a sense I've already answered my own question. Still...

Nearest Mazda dealer is 2 hours away. This fact alone almost made me embrace the Honda CRV...until I actually saw and drove the Mazda. So I'm wondering how those of you with a similar situation deal with it. I've barely had the car a week, so there's no urgency yet, but I'm not looking forward to frequent service trips 2 hours each way.

I think the larger--and maybe more interesting question--is this: can capable local garages these days somehow get hold of whatever software they might need to troubleshoot a new Mazda? How might I judge their competence?

Thanks to anyone willing to spend time answering these questions.(scratch)

It wouldn't be a huge deal, but it also would lead me to probably buy a different vehicle if I had no super strong feelings for the Mazda. So for me, yeah, I'd have bought something else were I you. This is a convenience vehicle. Not an enthusiast car. And that doesn't sound very convenient.

How often do you visit a dealer? I am guessing you don't plan on servicing your vehicle there. Just if you need warranty work or anything specific. Which is what a couple times a year if that? I wouldn't worry about it. I would of probably leaned toward buying another vehicle but I wouldn't worry about it I was you.

How often do you visit a dealer? I am guessing you don't plan on servicing your vehicle there. Just if you need warranty work or anything specific. Which is what a couple times a year if that? I wouldn't worry about it. I would of probably leaned toward buying another vehicle but I wouldn't worry about it I was you.

Agreed. Likely, the only issue might be recalls, not reliability issues. I have an Escape that never saw the dealership again (236,000 miles and 11 years).
I have had a few recalls on the CX-5, and got another one the other day for the liftgate strut. Nothing to worry about.

This is a convenience vehicle. Not an enthusiast car. And that doesn't sound very convenient.
You're pretty much the only one here that feels that way. I can count on one hand and have 4 fingers left over re: the number of people here that think they bought an "econobox".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bought my mazda3 in 2006 new and the only time after that it went to a dealership was when I test drove the CX-5 and when I traded it in with 120,000 miles on it. Only failure on the car was a leaky strut that I replaced. I also ran about 5 autocrosses with and did a round trip from Miami to Boston during XMas with it.

That said new cars are totally different but from my history with Mazda (and actually cars in general) it's been pretty good.

You're pretty much the only one here that feels that way. I can count on one hand and have 4 fingers left over re: the number of people here that think they bought an "econobox".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agreed, LOL.

Unless you are getting free oil changes from the dealer, then realistically, I don't think you'll be making enough trips to them to make a difference. Enjoy your new CX-5 :)

The nearest dealership to my home is 30 miles, but the dealership I bought my CX-5 from is 50 miles from my home, and they gave my four free oil changes, so I anticipate going there for the first year or two, anyway. I did have a great garage by my house that serviced my previous cars, and I expect I'll take the CX-5 there when I'm finished with the free oil changes. Any garage can service. If you feel comfortable with them, I don't think you HAVE to go to a dealership for anything except warranty work.

I don't go to dealers for service after the free stuff is done.Have a great indie garage close by

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You have a GT with a lot of tech in it. If some sensors go bad - mostly your local shop wont be able to fix it. If there is a TSB again - only a dealer. If you have fitment issues which is a very genuine possibility its a combination of how "perfect" a car you want and your willingness to drive 50 miles. And then if you have one of those - dealer cant replicate issues - I hope its a scenic 50 mile drive.

My experience with Mazda has been this
1. I got a good discount
2. In Dallas Ftw which is a big market - sampled 3 Mazda dealers, cant say I am happy.

If i Compared to a Toyota ownership - it was simple, you go in and you come out. Done, $60. My last Mazda visit had a $20 line item which was literally named- looking for leaks under the hood. . What will leak in a 12K vehicle? Is this a dodge. Lady had no idea what Moly oil was. A regular service ended up being $100. Thats pricey imo.
In future I should be willing to trade above #1 for a good dealer relationship. But Mazda dealerships do seem more shady, avoid TSBs and seem always profit hungry whereas Toyota ones due to volume dont do this.

Infact I would really recommend a Rav4 to anyone who does not have 2-3 dealer choices. I will probably go to the last one again due to convenience but hey $100 for a sub 20K econo box CUV. Nope.

If my car goes back to the dealer after I purchase, I bought the wrong car.

No way in hell will my car ever be serviced at a dealer, I feel sorry for those old ladies...

I agree, the Mazda dealerships I have visited have been rather lacking in all departments.

Maintenance doesn't have to be done at Mazda. If you choose an independent garage or do your own maintenance just make sure you keep all receipts.

Maintenance doesn't have to be done at Mazda. If you choose an independent garage or do your own maintenance just make sure you keep all receipts.

Unfortunately, this isn't common sense here in America. At least you have a choice to make a hefty money mistake or not as in other countries, Canada maybe (?), you have to have your dealer serviced at a Mazda dealer to keep the warranty. Pure scam there as some of the worst mechanics I've encountered work at dealerships...

If you do 7,500 mile oil changes, you shouldn't be frequently at the dealership. So if you love the car you bought, I don't think it's a big deal.

Kaps, have you tried the Hiley Mazda dealership in Arlington? They have been pretty good to me.

Tried Hiley at Hurst.
Called ahead and said ok to a TSB. Did not do TSB (killit). Did not have Moly or were not interested. Had multiple dirty air filters on their desks - so I saw them bring it out a few times to show other customers. Lol.

Yeah the one in Arlington is too far. I like Freeman - just that I think they fleece you if you get a loaner. I got a 120 mile CX5 sport 2016 as a loaner - so pretty new. Got groceries that day jejeje. Plus driving in DFW during office traffic is excruciatingly painful.

My first choice was cx5 crv and rav4 were at the bottom after driving multiple cars on the same exact roads.Too noisy axed them both.Im happy with the cx5 and it will see the dealer if the need comes up.Im not worried about all the tech,its under warranty

Tried Hiley at Hurst.
Called ahead and said ok to a TSB. Did not do TSB (killit). Did not have Moly or were not interested. Had multiple dirty air filters on their desks - so I saw them bring it out a few times to show other customers. Lol.

Yeah the one in Arlington is too far. I like Freeman - just that I think they fleece you if you get a loaner. I got a 120 mile CX5 sport 2016 as a loaner - so pretty new. Got groceries that day jejeje. Plus driving in DFW during office traffic is excruciatingly painful.
If I remember correctly, the service department at Hiley Mazda Arlington also didn't have the Mazda Moly oil. Not an issue with me since I usually bring my own oil for the car anyway. However it would be nice if they did stock the Moly oil. I usually have my cars serviced on a weekend, so if they give me a loaner and they don't finish working on the car, I get to keep the loaner through the weekend.

So, you use your own oil and still go to the dealer for service?

Why are people so content on service at the dealer for 2-3x the cost? Especially on oil changes that anyone could do...

So, you use your own oil and still go to the dealer for service?

Why are people so content on service at the dealer for 2-3x the cost? Especially on oil changes that anyone could do...

Dealer oil change - $59. Jiffy Lube - $79 :'(

I miss my free oil changes.

Is it cheaper if you bring your own oil, or do they still charge the same price?

Latest posts

Back