2017 Accessories- Mud guards and trunk guard install today

Don't know about the eBay product, but the OEM Mazda mud guards come with instructions and installation hardware. At least they did for the ones I bought for my 6.
There were no holes to drill either. They are already there.
I can't see that there's much difference between the CX-5 and the 6 mud guards. They look the same in pics.

Thanks, looks like I need to do some cutting to the plastic, because the clips for the screws come with it seems too short.
Do you still have the instructions somewhere?

Last edited:
Thanks, looks like I need to do some cutting to the plastic, because the clips for the screws come with it seems too short.
Do you still have the instructions somewhere?

I think I still have the instructions, but will have to dig in the garage for them.
Have you tried googling the instructions?
The clips and screws were the right size for mine. The screws are extremely hard to turn in, and after I did the first one, I "pre-screwed" the clip.
I held the clip with a vise grip in one hand, and turned the screw in with the other, then out again. Made it a lot easier when I did it on the car.
I also dabbed the screw and clip in a little grease to (hopefully) reduce the chances of them rusting out in a few years.

On the 6, the front guards just went in without having to cut any plastic or anything. The holes are visibly there.
You just have to remove the two plastic retainers that hold the plastic wheel well shroud in place.
The rears holes are there as well, in the sheet metal. They are covered up by the plastic wheel well insert though. No plastic clips there.
The instructions tell you to cut away a small part of the plastic shroud, to expose the holes,
but I just gently made a hole in the plastic where the holes are. Same result.
The rears are a bit more of a PITA, especially because you can't move the rear tire out of the way, like you can with the fronts.
Hope this makes sense.

Edit: I just googled Mazda 6 mud flap instructions, and the OEM instructions are there in PDF form.
I suspect it's the same for the CX-5.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I think I still have the instructions, but will have to dig in the garage for them.
Have you tried googling the instructions?
The clips and screws were the right size for mine. The screws are extremely hard to turn in, and after I did the first one, I "pre-screwed" the clip.
I held the clip with a vise grip in one hand, and turned the screw in with the other, then out again. Made it a lot easier when I did it on the car.
I also dabbed the screw and clip in a little grease to (hopefully) reduce the chances of them rusting out in a few years.

On the 6, the front guards just went in without having to cut any plastic or anything. The holes are visibly there.
You just have to remove the two plastic retainers that hold the plastic wheel well shroud in place.
The rears holes are there as well, in the sheet metal. They are covered up by the plastic wheel well insert though. No plastic clips there.
The instructions tell you to cut away a small part of the plastic shroud, to expose the holes,
but I just gently made a hole in the plastic where the holes are. Same result.
The rears are a bit more of a PITA, especially because you can't move the rear tire out of the way, like you can with the fronts.
Hope this makes sense.

Edit: I just googled Mazda 6 mud flap instructions, and the OEM instructions are there in PDF form.
I suspect it's the same for the CX-5.
Good luck.

Thanks again!! I am sure I can get some ideas from here.

My install experience.

This is a copy of a review I left on ebay after doing the install. I suspect the folks on this forum are a little more savvy than the average guy, but figure it couldn't hurt to post my experience here.

I bought these hoping they'll help keep the car a bit cleaner in day to day use, stopping some of the splashing on the side if the car. I love the Soul Red, but keeping it clean is something of a part time hobby. I like it more than my last gray one, but it's a bear to keep looking it's best.

So on to the flaps. This is for the OEM flaps, not aftermarket jobs. I would suggest the OEM ones as I've found it's worth it to get something you know will fit the first time when dealing with something like this. More dough, but less improvising time in my experience.

I'd suggest downloading the front's installation manual, reading it upfront will help you decide if you want to make this a DIY project. The rears are quite easy.

Mounting them is a bit interesting, but not particularly difficult if you're a tool user. If you can master an Ikea shelving unit you can probably do this yourself. It'll be easier on a nice day when you can blast your wheel wells clean first, then let everything dry out. I didn't have that option, and did it after some not nice snowy weather. It was messy, but doable.

The rears are pretty straight forward to mount. You have to pop out some retainers, then there's a little bit of plastic snipping necessary, but it's clearly defined and only takes a minute to do. After that you just need to snap on some little clips that the screws attach to, screw it down and it's pretty much done. The first one took me 20 minutes, the second maybe 10.

The fronts are more interesting, and require a bit more patience. When you read the instructions the first thing you'll probably wonder about is the need for a tool called a jack nut tool. You don't need it, a bit of easy improv will work fine. The jack nut tool is sort of like a large pop riveter, designed to mount a jack nut (a sort of metal expandable fastener) from one side of a panel. Since you attach the jack nut to the lower over fender piece after you remove it you can get at both sides of the jack nut. So all you need to do is get an M5 bolt about an inch long, screw it into the nut from the rear, than put a couple of washers and a nut on the other end and torque it down so that it expands into its locked down state. This will make more sense if you have it in front of you, but it took no time at all to get it in place.

The other thing you need is an adhesive promoter. Don't ignore this, I read where other people didn't use it and the double stick tape didn't adhere for long. What you want is 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter, Sponge Applicator, Amazon for about 8 bucks. I only used one of the three pads but could see where this stuff could be useful elsewhere in my life. They should just include it, but whatever. The kit comes with an alcohol pad for pre-cleaning, which I didn't notice until I had already cleaned the fender piece with gas. Figures.

A couple of other hints. When you go to unsnap the upper front over fender, the bottom snap fastener will put up a fight. It'll pop right out if you slide a pair of flat head screwdrivers in between the fender and the metal piece it snaps into on either side of the snap, then turn both screwdrivers in opposite directions to make it pop out. Again, it'll make sense when you see it.

Lastly, there are 2 replacement snap fasteners that come with each flap, one with a large head, one smaller. Nothing in the directions states where to use which one, it just shows where to put them not specifying which belongs exactly where. It's counter-intuitive, the big one looks like it should go up top due to the fact it looks like the one it replaces, only longer. But it won't fit, at least on my install. Use the small one on top and the big one on the bottom and they snap in nicely. I dunno if that's spec but it worked fine.

That's about it, the rest is just tightening screws. The first one took about 40minutes, pre-fitting each piece as I went along just to be cautious. The second was half that time.

They look nice on the car. I'll try and add some pics after we get some better weather and I can really wash the car. Right now it's too dirty to give any sort of cosmetic impression against the red. I can't say if they actually help keep the car cleaner as I haven't had a chance to drive it around yet, but I wanted to write all this out before I forgot it. At 60 the old gray mare's memory ain't what it used to be...

I hope this is helpful for anyone wanting to take a crack at this themselves.

Useful accessories. Have you thought of adding a sunroof deflector? Makes for a quiet highway ride.

Some additional photos of my install yesterday

I installed a set of guards that I purchased from AliExpress, $33 each.

I had to order two because first set one guard was damaged.

I attached the guard to the lower corner piece first and that is shown in the first photo with the insert on the back side, if I didn't install it first there was no way to hold the insert as I tightened screw from the underside.

Attachments

• 2018-07-29 10.25.11.jpg
    2018-07-29 10.25.11.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 438
  • 2018-07-29 10.36.43.jpg
    2018-07-29 10.36.43.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 415
  • 2018-07-29 10.36.47.jpg
    2018-07-29 10.36.47.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 2018-07-29 10.25.27.jpg
    2018-07-29 10.25.27.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 413
  • 2018-07-29 10.29.38.jpg
    2018-07-29 10.29.38.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 407
I was just looking at these on Mazda's website.

Funny, there are some differences between the accessories listed when you navigate to them through the vehicles webpage https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-5/shop/accessories
and the accessories listed when you are in the Build Your Own area (where things are priced out, excluding installation) https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-t...TR|18CX5TR2A&ex=46G&in=V_KD8&p=1TE&ip=&o=&io=

The Build Your Own page does not show/price the Splash Guards or the Alloy Pedals.
The pure Accessories page does not show the Bumper Trim, the Wheel Locks or the Interior Lighting.

But that's not what I came here for.

Are the Mazda splash guards effective? As others have pointed out, they look rather small...but they do extend below the bottom of the frame My primary motive would be to deflect gravel (and other paint-chipping stuff) rather than just liquid splashes. I'd just as soon order them when I buy the car and see if I can get the dealer to install them for free as I'm negotiating the deal. But I don't really want to pay for them if they're merely a cosmetic accessory.

So I see a couple of folks installed them. Do you think they are effective at blocking gravel & debris?

Last edited:
I don't have them, but I think I heard some folks (7eregrine maybe?) who got them say that they are effective.

Then I saw some folks with those big ass ones that belong on 18 wheelers with Yosemite Sam. (rlaugh)

I don't have them, but I think I heard some folks (7eregrine maybe?) who got them say that they are effective.

Then I saw some folks with those big ass ones that belong on 18 wheelers with Yosemite Sam. (rlaugh)

I was looking at them as just one more way to mitigate paint chips.

Regarding large Looney Tunes mud flaps and jewelry stores hanging from rear-view mirrors, there are times I embrace our freedoms and then there are times I think people should be more highly supervised. Not you & me, of course, but certainly others ;)

I was just looking at these on Mazda's website.

Funny, there are some differences between the accessories listed when you navigate to them through the vehicles webpage https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-5/shop/accessories
and the accessories listed when you are in the Build Your Own area (where things are priced out, excluding installation) https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-t...TR|18CX5TR2A&ex=46G&in=V_KD8&p=1TE&ip=&o=&io=

The Build Your Own page does not show/price the Splash Guards or the Alloy Pedals.
The pure Accessories page does not show the Bumper Trim, the Wheel Locks or the Interior Lighting.

But that's not what I came here for.

Are the Mazda splash guards effective? As others have pointed out, they look rather small...but they do extend below the bottom of the frame My primary motive would be to deflect gravel (and other paint-chipping stuff) rather than just liquid splashes. I'd just as soon order them when I buy the car and see if I can get the dealer to install them for free as I'm negotiating the deal. But I don't really want to pay for them if they're merely a cosmetic accessory.

So I see a couple of folks installed them. Do you think they are effective at blocking gravel & debris?

I am considering getting them installed when the tyres gets rotated at the first service. I was sceptical but it might actual make a difference

I am considering getting them installed when the tyres gets rotated at the first service. I was sceptical but it might actual make a difference

I'm really looking for anything to mitigate stress on the paint.

And if I do it now, maybe I can get a free install...and I can get it financed.

They DO look narrow, though.

I'm really looking for anything to mitigate stress on the paint.

And if I do it now, maybe I can get a free install...and I can get it financed.

They DO look narrow, though.

For me the reason is water/dirt/mud etc splash on rainy days.

Couple of times I looked down around the bottom half of the doors and rear panel after driving in the rain and those areas get pretty unclean.

If these help to reduce the water/dirt/mud etc a bit then should be worth the investment.

Absolutely recommend. The wheel wells get dirty as hell, but the body doesn't. They work well.

Absolutely recommend. The wheel wells get dirty as hell, but the body doesn't. They work well.

Good to know. As I said, maybe I can get free dealer installation thrown in if I buy them when I order the car. If nothing else, they're financed over the life of the loan (the American way, eh?)

Think mud guards are more useful for rain puddle splashes etc rather than snow

agreed, depending on how wet and cold the temperature is, it just packs up inside that space and rubs up against the tires. TBH though, that's going to happen regardless if there's mud flaps or not.

Is it me or do most mud-flaps get resourced from the same place? It doesn't matter if it's a BMW, honda or Mazda, they all look very similar in fit and finish.

Back