Idle surge

neveraging

:
Mazda, 5 Touring
Longtime VW driver, became a 5 owner because it is simply the best design...(if only the front passenger seat could fold flat such that dimensional lumber should be transported readily in interior!

BUT

For a while my 5 has behaving dangerously funny in idle; my best take on symptoms:
  • car in Drive
  • Usually with AC on
  • only notice when stopped (foot off gas, foot on brakes) or in coasting idle like when parking (in drive or reverse)
  • engine will surge to the point that if I'm not pressing hard on the brake pedal the stop is overcome and the car will move forward OR when slowly parking the idle surges dangerously lurching in parking area(nervous)(mad)
  • no CEL
  • idle might be a little rough with AC off, haven't noted surge but RPMs might drop a little
  • I took it into my neighborhood mechanic who hooked it to a Dx computer in idle and got nothing, noted when compressor cycled RPMs would slightly increase (from 600 to around 800, then back to 600) but that this might just be normal which seems dangerously dumb; further when hooked up to the computer the 5 of course never really goosed in idle to the level that has me concerned

I've done some rudimentary maintenance and checks that have not improved anything
  • cleaned MAF
  • cleaned airfilter
  • fuel system additive cleaner
  • sprayed starter fluid looking for vacuum leak (didn't find anything, but I'm also not confident I know the vac diagram)

Thoughts? Suggestions?(huh)

thanks in advance

I'm sure there are as it's extremely common. But it's not rocket science. It's the motor mount on the left when you pop the hood. Takes 30 mins to replace with common sense. Otherwise keep searching the forums and YouTube if your not comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry that was a dumb reflexive reply by me.
I found it and eyeballed it by everything looks visibly fine. Top rubbers look intact, metal shows no fatigue.
Are there specific things/angles I need to look at to properly diagnose, or just buy a new one and see if the magic happenss?
I'm at around 56k, is this a standard replace that we all need to do?

Mine looked fine too until I took it out. Fell apart on me! You could pull it just for inspection before buying.

Mine looked fine too until I took it out. Fell apart on me! You could pull it just for inspection before buying.

I'll probably do that, but out of curiosity what year have you? I've a 2013 and doing parts searches only comes up with mounts other than the side mount. But if I look under 2010 model I see what looks just like mine! (if you're my same model year type) Did you order an aftermarket or did you just get one from the dealer? I noted some aftermarket are said to be solid rubber instead of hydraulic fluid filled. Thoughts on what's best?
thanks in advance

I'll probably do that, but out of curiosity what year have you? I've a 2013 and doing parts searches only comes up with mounts other than the side mount. But if I look under 2010 model I see what looks just like mine! (if you're my same model year type) Did you order an aftermarket or did you just get one from the dealer? I noted some aftermarket are said to be solid rubber instead of hydraulic fluid filled. Thoughts on what's best?
thanks in advance

Always best to check with dealer but from what I looked up at one point, here are the OEM part numbers for our gen:
Passenger motor mount - BBN3-39-060B, BBN3-39-060A
Rear motor mount - BBN3-39-040A
Transmission mount - BBM5-39-070C

I don't know of an aftermarket PMM but there may be one.

Went to dealership this morning to have the safety recall on the lift gate seems performed and picked up PMM (spensive at the mothership!).
They did a courtesy check and said the trans mount needs replacement (and various fluids needed flushing). I'll start with the PMM, but think you they they are taking me for a ride?

Went to dealership this morning to have the safety recall on the lift gate seems performed and picked up PMM (spensive at the mothership!).
They did a courtesy check and said the trans mount needs replacement (and various fluids needed flushing). I'll start with the PMM, but think you they they are taking me for a ride?

The two mounts you mention are the most expensive. I believe MSRP's are these...
PMM: $123.99
Trans: $114.89
You can get them for less online except shipping may be expensive. I believe $100 shipped was the best PMM price I've seen.

If they inspected it and suggest it's the trans mount I'm sure they had good view from underneath. Since you're on a late model Mazda5 I think the passenger motor mount may have been redesigned. I would lean towards it being the trans mount. Either way as I first suggested you should inspect before buying.

Back