2017 cx-5 adaptive headlights

Guys, at night when I shut off my car, if you stick your ear by the headlamp assembly, you will here a fan coming from the headlight. I'm assuming it's a cooling fan?

Don't think they have fans, it sounds similar to hid ballast buzzing sound. I had the same sound from my mazda 3 with oem hid.

Guys, at night when I shut off my car, if you stick your ear by the headlamp assembly, you will here a fan coming from the headlight. I'm assuming it's a cooling fan?

It's the engine cooling fan. Nothing to worry about

Good to see Mazda is still maintaining mechanical AFS since US law won't allow the more advanced. That being said... Lexus only maintains mechanical AFS LED on their $7x.K LS. No other '17 Lexus models get this other than mechanical self-leveling.

Here we go again with yrwei on these headlights...

One would prefer using only the heatsink to dissipate the heat generated by LED. But due to space limitation as the halogen bulb replacement and large amount of heat, many modern aftermarket high-powered headlight LEDs have to use cooling fan such as this

Whether you care to recognize it or not there is a major difference in an aftermarket retrofit kit designed to fit into a housing not originally designed for an LED lighting element and an OEM LED headlight assembly designed from the ground up as an LED headlight. You're comparing apples to oranges....

That one thread has 9 failed LED DRL examples only from 2016(.5) CX-5 GT with Tech Package. There's another thread has several but I can't locate it right now. I actually don't see too many failures on those accent strip DRLs in person on the road, that's why I'm concerned about LED quality of our CX-5.

And why you see more issues on LED DRLs? Becausd they're on all the time and they should fail early. I can predict the LED headlights on 2017 CX-5 will have more failures than 2016(.5) CX-5 as the headlights are on all the time. And we can live with failed LED DRLs, but can't live with failed LED headlights.

As mentioned before... sh*t happens. 9 failed lights in one thread... ok... out of how many produced? If you have a barrel of apples a couple are going to be bad or go bad sooner than planned even if your quality control is top notch.

Yet another thread being turned into a LED DRL thread by yrwei52 for what is a non-issue.

The OP's intent of this thread was to discuss and clarify the adaptive lighting system, which has been done. The operation of the headlight full on vs DRL mode was brought in to explain the differences in the modes to the OP and elaborate on how the advanced operations of the headlight work.

May I kindly suggest that if you want to carry on this argument that you go back to that "are my DRL's working properly?" thread where this has already been discussed, or create a dedicated thread and discuss there.

So far I've seen three 2017 CX-5 owners here said the headlights has the same intensity when used as a part of DRLs but Studum is the only one believes the headlights are at reduced power in DRL mode. I guess it could be because he is in Canada and the setup is different? If the light intensity is the same, I can't see how is it possible the AFS is not activated when the headlights are in DRL mode especially with Auto Headlights. And I agree with your concern on wear and tear of these AFS motor mechanism in addition to the LED circuitry itself which could wear out early if they're on all the time as evidenced by many LED DRL flickering issues on 2016(.5) CX-5's. The auto-leveling mechanism on our seldom used 2001 BMW 528i has worn out at about 10 years.

I've seen the difference when turning on my lights during the day. I leave my lights in Auto mode, and while parked behind someone in traffic, if I turn the lights on you can see the brightness increase. If you were standing outside looking at the car and had someone turn the light to the on position you'd see the difference. It's slight, but it's there.

Good to see Mazda is still maintaining mechanical AFS since US law won't allow the more advanced. That being said... Lexus only maintains mechanical AFS LED on their $7x.K LS. No other '17 Lexus models get this other than mechanical self-leveling.
Why won't they allow it (scratch)

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Because they are still using out dated regulations. Have you seen what they do in other countries? It's pretty incredible.

https://youtu.be/8EZK_i4Zeoo

I want that more then any other car feature.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Any Aussies, Europeans? I think our Japanese friend got his 17 and bailed on us. LOL

Because they are still using out dated regulations. Have you seen what they do in other countries? It's pretty incredible.

https://youtu.be/8EZK_i4Zeoo

I want that more then any other car feature.

Yeah, bummer. I had thought we were getting that for quite a while. Also thought we were getting folding mirrors (no big deal) and some other stuff.

Here we go again with yrwei on these headlights...
People brought up the reliability issue on LED headlights. I answered it with my opinion.

Whether you care to recognize it or not there is a major difference in an aftermarket retrofit kit designed to fit into a housing not originally designed for an LED lighting element and an OEM LED headlight assembly designed from the ground up as an LED headlight. You're comparing apples to oranges....
I've already said in my post that the top-rated "aftermarket" LED headlights use cooling fan to dissipate heat generated by high-powered LEDs. Just because OEM LED headlights have integrated design, it still can't escape the heat issues. Heat is the major cause kills these LED lights. The more you use it, the faster the LED components would burn out as evidenced by those 2016(.5) CX-5 LED DRLs.

As mentioned before... sh*t happens. 9 failed lights in one thread... ok... out of how many produced? If you have a barrel of apples a couple are going to be bad or go bad sooner than planned even if your quality control is top notch.
How many 2016(.5) CX-5 GT with Tech owners are on this board and how many of them are active? And how many of those CX-5 GT with Tech owners are aware their LED DRLs are having problems as most owners won't pay attention to it? You make us sounded like only 9 out of may be 10,000 2016(.5) CX-5 GT's with LED have experienced failed LED DRLs. There're much more failures than 9 as most of these CX-5 owners don't even visit this community as a guest!

Yet another thread being turned into a LED DRL thread by yrwei52 for what is a non-issue.

The OP's intent of this thread was to discuss and clarify the adaptive lighting system, which has been done. The operation of the headlight full on vs DRL mode was brought in to explain the differences in the modes to the OP and elaborate on how the advanced operations of the headlight work.

May I kindly suggest that if you want to carry on this argument that you go back to that "are my DRL's working properly?" thread where this has already been discussed, or create a dedicated thread and discuss there.
I used many failed CX-5 LED DRLs as an example to counter the point that all LED are reliable. I didn't start the reliability discussion. You believe the LED headlights on all the time is a non-issue but I believe the opposite. To each his own and we can agree to disagree.

But there're many out of topic posts in this thread along I wonder if you should say something to them too? Or you just targeted any post or person that has different opinion than yours?

I disagree that owners won't pay attention to it. I promise you I will know if there is an issue with my DRL. I see them in the reflections of cars in front of me every day. I will know right away if mine are having issues.

I FINALLY saw someone with my DRL's today. A Mazda 6. He was in front of me getting on the highway. I caught up to him and got in front of him. DAMN those things are bright. First time I've really seen them in the wild (that wasn't a reflection in someone else's car). So glad I got them. :D

I FINALLY saw someone with my DRL's today. A Mazda 6. He was in front of me getting on the highway. I caught up to him and got in front of him. DAMN those things are bright. First time I've really seen them in the wild (that wasn't a reflection in someone else's car). So glad I got them. :D

I know they are bright :D

Any Aussies, Europeans? I think our Japanese friend got his 17 and bailed on us. LOL

Where are my Aussies with the top end models? Someone here has to have this fancy lights. What about our German friend? Our Japanese friend? Someone has to have these.

Where are my Aussies with the top end models? Someone here has to have this fancy lights. What about our German friend? Our Japanese friend? Someone has to have these.

Aussie here. Need to sell my 6 first before I can get the CX-5 with the fancy lights! (lol)

So I wonder what's changed recently?!? In another thread I brought up Volvo with thier option packages. Couldn't remember how many exactly they had. Went to check and noticed a new option for the 2018: "Adaptive Brights" in the US which will dim the lights around a car in front of you.

1b8bf321c7de816f05a5ad02f99bceba.jpg

Mazda's is similar. Individual leds are dimmed/turned off when a car is directly infront but light beams around the vehicle infront. A given the lights also turn as the steering wheel is turned

So I wonder what's changed recently?!? In another thread I brought up Volvo with thier option packages. Couldn't remember how many exactly they had. Went to check and noticed a new option for the 2018: "Adaptive Brights" in the US which will dim the lights around a car in front of you.
F
1b8bf321c7de816f05a5ad02f99bceba.jpg
US Volvo's Full LED Headlights w/Active Bending Lights (ABL) & Active High Beams (AHB) are similar to our AFS with Auto High-Beam Control (HBC) with some more added LED lights aimed to the curb sides at low speed. That picture is misleading. As long as the high-beam is mentioned, it should be a mechanical lighting system, not no-moving-parts full electronic LED lightings like Mazda's ALH. I hope we can have much better and reliable ALH available in the US soon!

Back