2017 cx-5 adaptive headlights

17CX-5GT

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT premium
Guys I notice and have seen the topics presented on the forum about how the new cx-5 headlights are always on when driving. They are apparently part of the DRL. My question is, during the day when the headlights are on, are they also using the adaptive headlights at the same time? I'm assuming there is motors that swivel the lights back and forth with the steering wheel? I would like to know as I don't want these motors to burn out as I'm assuming it's an expensive fix. It would be pointless to use the adaptive headlights during the day and put extra wear and tear on the car

Simplest way is for you to get a friend/family member to turn the steering wheel with the car moving forward slowly and for you to stand a safe distance away and see if it moves.

Headlight DRL mode is reduced power, not full power, and the headlight AFS swivel are not enabled until the headlights are full on. Unsure if the auto-leveling is functional in DRL mode. I would think it's disabled with AFS but I can't say for certain.

Thanks for the response! I swear I don't see any different from when I have the lights set to auto and then switch it to on during the day. I have done that against the garage door. Studum, your response makes complete sense though. Thank you

Maybe it only starts working when the headlight icon on the dash is lit. That would make sense

Thanks for the response! I swear I don't see any different from when I have the lights set to auto and then switch it to on during the day. I have done that against the garage door. Studum, your response makes complete sense though. Thank you
So far I've seen three 2017 CX-5 owners here said the headlights has the same intensity when used as a part of DRLs but Studum is the only one believes the headlights are at reduced power in DRL mode. I guess it could be because he is in Canada and the setup is different? If the light intensity is the same, I can't see how is it possible the AFS is not activated when the headlights are in DRL mode especially with Auto Headlights. And I agree with your concern on wear and tear of these AFS motor mechanism in addition to the LED circuitry itself which could wear out early if they're on all the time as evidenced by many LED DRL flickering issues on 2016(.5) CX-5's. The auto-leveling mechanism on our seldom used 2001 BMW 528i has worn out at about 10 years.

I can confirm that the headlights are at reduced power when in DRL mode. It's not too noticeable when you flick them on during the day but when driving into an underground parking garage, I can see the headlights turn brighter once it's on. Try it yourselves, drive at night while car is moving, turn light to off position and you'll see it's dimmer at the DRL mode. If you still can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell ya lol

Studum is the only one believes the headlights are at reduced power in DRL mode.

No... I am not the only one. Others have backed me up in other threads, including lowincash above.

As mentioned it's tough to see in the daylight, but pull against a shaded wall or into a darker area like a garage and the step up in brightness from DRL to headlights "on" is visible if you watch the switch happen.

I can't see how is it possible the AFS is not activated when the headlights are in DRL mode especially with Auto Headlights

Anything is possible. DRL and headlights full ON are still 2 separate operation modes governed by a computer somewhere in the car. But don't take my word for it, I've taken the liberty to extract the relevant pages from the North American owner's manual, which also confirm that the auto leveling is not active until the headlights are ON.

Chart explaining headlight modes:
Headlight%20Operations_zpszjaqw83b.jpg

In AUTO mode, like in OFF, the headlights are off until lighting conditions make it necessary to turn them and the other lighting systems on.

Leveling is only activated when the headlights are ON
Auto%20Levelling_zpsax02y2a9.jpg

AFS is only active when the headlights are ON
AFS_zpsmxplpsqm.jpg

Therefore it proves that the auto headlight feature is quite useful to those who wonder why there are auto headlights at all and claim that it's a useless feature when the headlight is illuminated as a DRL. As far as I'm aware the auto system does the following depending on ambient lighting conditions:
- Increases the intensity of headlight output
- Enables auto headlight levelling (if so equipped)
- Enables AFS (if so equipped)
- Illuminates the remainder of the exterior lighting, including side marker / parking lights and tail lights
- Illuminates the interior dash board
- Controls the gauge and dashboard screen brightness

Hope that helps.

I can confirm that the headlights are at reduced power when in DRL mode. It's not too noticeable when you flick them on during the day but when driving into an underground parking garage, I can see the headlights turn brighter once it's on. Try it yourselves, drive at night while car is moving, turn light to off position and you'll see it's dimmer at the DRL mode. If you still can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell ya lol

I wish there was a "like" or "thank you" button on this forum.

Instead I will just say... Thank you.

I wish there was a "like" or "thank you" button on this forum.

Instead I will just say... Thank you.

No problem lol when I first got the car I too thought the headlight was on full in drl mode because it was hard to tell the difference in broad daylight. Then I tried it at night and in dark underground garages and see the difference

One thing I've noticed on this car, during the day when I turn my headlights on, the interior dash light and infotainment screen does not dim but it'll dim if it's dark enough. That's pretty neat as I sometimes turn on headlights on full during inclement weather or when it's dark and gloomy outside.

This is great news that the headlights are not fully turned on with the DRL in day time driving. It makes sense and LED headlights are great for this. When I first heard of the always on headlights issue, I was like, no way Mazda would do something like that. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Yes I also think we need a "Like" or "Thank You" button on here. As well as better notifications, but one thing at a time...

No problem lol when I first got the car I too thought the headlight was on full in drl mode because it was hard to tell the difference in broad daylight. Then I tried it at night and in dark underground garages and see the difference

One thing I've noticed on this car, during the day when I turn my headlights on, the interior dash light and infotainment screen does not dim but it'll dim if it's dark enough. That's pretty neat as I sometimes turn on headlights on full during inclement weather or when it's dark and gloomy outside.

Yep, 2 stage brightness for the LCD display. During dusk / dawn / certain tunnels etc. when it auto mode - or if you manually turn the lights on in bright but rainy weather, etc. it'll leave the LCD screen at full brightness to help maintain contrast / visibility until it gets darker. The first implementation I saw of this was our last car (a Kia) but the screens tended to stay on "bright" too long into the dark and it wasn't adjustable. Strained the eyes at times. I find Mazda is doing a pretty dang good job with their implementation of this - it hasn't bothered me once.

OR OR OR.... You leave lights off and drive to dark road at night then flip them on. You will see the lights get a WEEEE bit brighter. Also I don't think the headlights turn when DRL is on. I drove down the street with DRL only last night testing intensity but don't recall lights bending.

So far I've seen three 2017 CX-5 owners here said the headlights has the same intensity when used as a part of DRLs but Studum is the only one believes the headlights are at reduced power in DRL mode. I guess it could be because he is in Canada and the setup is different? If the light intensity is the same, I can't see how is it possible the AFS is not activated when the headlights are in DRL mode especially with Auto Headlights. And I agree with your concern on wear and tear of these AFS motor mechanism in addition to the LED circuitry itself which could wear out early if they're on all the time as evidenced by many LED DRL flickering issues on 2016(.5) CX-5's. The auto-leveling mechanism on our seldom used 2001 BMW 528i has worn out at about 10 years.

No, LED headlights definitely on at a lower intensity during daytime DRL mode. I pulled up to a storefront with large plate glass windows so I could see the reflection of my vehicle. While still engaged in D on the tranny, I switched from AUTO to ON using the headlight stalk. Headlights got brighter. I'm also thinking the signature LED DRL will dim a bit when in headlight mode but I forgot to check for that.

If in doubt turn off the AFS in settings. Its also an option with my car.

Thank goodness our DRL's are just that...DRL's and they don't use the LED headlights :D

At any rate, LED's last a lot longer than halogens so I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Back