2017 cx-5 adaptive headlights

Thank goodness our DRL's are just that...DRL's and they don't use the LED headlights :D

At any rate, LED's last a lot longer than halogens so I wouldn't worry too much about them.
You never know. LED itself should last a lot longer than halogan and xenon but many times it's the other components failed due to the heat generated by LED. More powerful LED such as the LED headlight generates more heat. If we keep the LED headlights on all the time, reduced intensity or not, they would fail earlier than keep them on only when necessary! Besides, I can live with a section of accent strip DRLs burned out but not the LED headlights after the warranty expired. And based on the past LED DRLs experience from our 2016(.5) CX-5 I don't have too much confidence on these expensive LED headlights which can last long if you keep them on all the time. That's why I really hope MNAO can change 2nd-gen DRL setup back to the 2016's way, no more headlights with DRLs like in all other regions!

Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Indeed you never know.

FYI - no issues at all with any of the LED's on my current Mazda6 for which I've now owned for over 2 years.

So guys, I can confirm with my own eyes that the Auto daytime DRL/headlights are in fact a dimmer light than the actual headlight for night driving. I did the test in my garage, and there is definately a difference (not a huge difference) but noticeable.

So guys, I can confirm with my own eyes that the Auto daytime DRL/headlights are in fact a dimmer light than the actual headlight for night driving. I did the test in my garage, and there is definately a difference (not a huge difference) but noticeable.
What about the headlights moving left and right?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The LEDs should last a very long time. They are pretty high end LEDs. Mazda doesn't want to have you replacing them often. There will always be some issues, they live in a pretty harsh environment. But, hell I have LED lights in my living room. Going on 5 years now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The LEDs should last a very long time. They are pretty high end LEDs. Mazda doesn't want to have you replacing them often. There will always be some issues, they live in a pretty harsh environment. But, hell I have LED lights in my living room. Going on 5 years now.

(iagree)

A LED in a living room is different from a LED in a much more harsh environment as a headlight. Have you ever seen the latest aftermarket headlight LEDs they're even equipped with cooling fan! The track record on longevity of LED DRLs from 2016(.5) CX-5 is not good either based on the number of complains here.

A LED in a living room is different from a LED in a much more harsh environment as a headlight. Have you ever seen the latest aftermarket headlight LEDs they're even equipped with cooling fan! The track record on longevity of LED DRLs from 2016(.5) CX-5 is not good either based on the number of complains here.

That's why modern LED bulbs doesn't use cooling fans anymore. Most of the modern aftermarket LED bulbs use braided heatsink. Fans are prone to failure.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

AFAIK not many complaints here

Yeah I have no idea what he is talking about. I have yet to see any LED complaints since introduced in the 16 CX5. Only issue was the milky residue inside the headlight compartment but that was unrelated to the actual LEDs. I do also remember reading about snow/ice freezing up around the headlights as well due to lack of heat from like a halogen bulb. But again, nothing directly related to LEDs and their technology.

Yeah I have no idea what he is talking about. I have yet to see any LED complaints since introduced in the 16 CX5. Only issue was the milky residue inside the headlight compartment but that was unrelated to the actual LEDs. I do also remember reading about snow/ice freezing up around the headlights as well due to lack of heat from like a halogen bulb. But again, nothing directly related to LEDs and their technology.
See the thread link in post #21:

You never know. LED itself should last a lot longer than halogan and xenon but many times it's the other components failed due to the heat generated by LED. More powerful LED such as the LED headlight generates more heat. If we keep the LED headlights on all the time, reduced intensity or not, they would fail earlier than keep them on only when necessary! Besides, I can live with a section of accent strip DRLs burned out but not the LED headlights after the warranty expired. And based on the past LED DRLs experience from our 2016(.5) CX-5 I don't have too much confidence on these expensive LED headlights which can last long if you keep them on all the time. That's why I really hope MNAO can change 2nd-gen DRL setup back to the 2016's way, no more headlights with DRLs like in all other regions!

Daytime running lights dim/flickering

See the thread link in post #21:

Fair enough but that's just one, very isolated issue. I agree, its an issue nonetheless. I was more specifically talking about the LED headlight itself though. But regarding the DRL LED, I see those out all the time. On a variety of manufacturers. Not sure what it is but LED DRL seem to have an issue on many cars. Like brand new cars, and I'll see one completely out.

That's why modern LED bulbs doesn't use cooling fans anymore. Most of the modern aftermarket LED bulbs use braided heatsink. Fans are prone to failure.
One would prefer using only the heatsink to dissipate the heat generated by LED. But due to space limitation as the halogen bulb replacement and large amount of heat, many modern aftermarket high-powered headlight LEDs have to use cooling fan such as this Opt-7 FluxBeam LED Headlights which is often to get voted as the best LED headlights:

fluxbeam-original-LED-headlight-kit__49488.1497396379.1280.1280.jpg

There are quite a few CX-5s with LEDs and pretty much all of them are working fine here

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fair enough but that's just one, very isolated issue. I agree, its an issue nonetheless. I was more specifically talking about the LED headlight itself though. But regarding the DRL LED, I see those out all the time. On a variety of manufacturers. Not sure what it is but LED DRL seem to have an issue on many cars. Like brand new cars, and I'll see one completely out.
That one thread has 9 failed LED DRL examples only from 2016(.5) CX-5 GT with Tech Package. There's another thread has several but I can't locate it right now. I actually don't see too many failures on those accent strip DRLs in person on the road, that's why I'm concerned about LED quality of our CX-5.

And why you see more issues on LED DRLs? Becausd they're on all the time and they should fail early. I can predict the LED headlights on 2017 CX-5 will have more failures than 2016(.5) CX-5 as the headlights are on all the time. And we can live with failed LED DRLs, but can't live with failed LED headlights.

Right? I've seen one post about someone needing a new light. And that post was before my time here.

Last edited:
I'm not going to worry much about any headlight issues on this car. Everyone is jumping the gun here, I guess I'll worry about headlights failing as the time comes, but for now I'll just enjoy this car. I bought extended warranty for a reason, in case of any issues later down the road.

One would prefer using only the heatsink to dissipate the heat generated by LED. But due to space limitation as the halogen bulb replacement and large amount of heat, many modern aftermarket high-powered headlight LEDs have to use cooling fan such as this Opt-7 FluxBeam LED Headlights which is often to get voted as the best LED headlights:

fluxbeam-original-LED-headlight-kit__49488.1497396379.1280.1280.jpg
Thanks. I see where you're coming from. I guess it's manufacturer design.

Here's the type of bulb that I'm using:

It's Cree XHP-70.

http://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-arrays/xlamp-xhp70-2

Here's my old LED bulb. It's Philips Luxeon MZ

http://www.lumileds.com/products/high-power-leds/luxeon-mz

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Guys, at night when I shut off my car, if you stick your ear by the headlamp assembly, you will here a fan coming from the headlight. I'm assuming it's a cooling fan?

Back