Removing factory hatch spoiler

MrMook

:
2006 Mazda 5
Has anyone ever removed the stock spoiler on the hatch?

I just replaced our '06 5 with an '07, but the new one does not have the rear spoiler, which I personally think really completes the look of the 5. The roofline just ends so abruptly without it.

Anyway, before I scrap the old one, I'd like to pull off the spoiler. It seems like it's just a plastic piece that is bolted to the hatch, but I'm wondering if anyone here has ever removed theirs. I have limited time to pull parts, and have to put the car back together (it's in my mechanic's back lot, and he's not a dismantler, so cars need to stay relatively intact), and I want to know ahead of time if I have to pull the entire hatch to get at it.

The new one has this bob-tailed style hatch:
2010-mazda-mazda5-sport-wagon-angular-rear.png

I believe on the first generation 5, the spoiler is integrated into the hatch itself and is not actually a bolt-on like it appears or like it is on the second gen.

Pretty sure it's one piece... but shouldn't be too much trouble to just swap the entire rear hatch as long as they are the same colour?

Pretty sure it's one piece... but shouldn't be too much trouble to just swap the entire rear hatch as long as they are the same colour?

Different color hatches, otherwise I'd just swap them and be done. Plan was to take off the spoiler (if possible) and paint it at a later date. Easier to store in an apartment than an entire hatch.

Different color hatches, otherwise I'd just swap them and be done. Plan was to take off the spoiler (if possible) and paint it at a later date. Easier to store in an apartment than an entire hatch.

You could probably get a matching full hatch from one of your local pick and pulls

Back