2017 CX-5: Scratches on Piano Black Exterior Pillars

clads01

:
2017 CX-5 GT FWD Machine Gray
Well, we somehow managed to get a couple of moderate scratches on the exterior, piano black panel at the B-pillar (front of rear door). This appears to me to be a polished plastic surface (i.e., no paint/clearcoat). Anyone have any tips on methods or products to repair or buff out?

20170626_184245.jpg

By the way, I saw a 2016.5 yesterday in a parking lot and made a note that it did not have these glossy/shiny surfaces on the exterior pillars. I forsee an ongoing challenge to keep these looking nice. In fact, even without those scratches, there are already a bunch of swirl marks on them -- perhaps from getting washed at the dealer? I've only washed the car once since I've taken delivery, and did so by hand with a microfiber wash mitt. I suppose the swirls could have been from grit that got picked up on the mitt, though.

Last edited:
Well, we somehow managed to get a couple of moderate scratches on the exterior, piano black panel at the B-pillar (front of rear door). This appears to me to be a polished plastic surface (i.e., no paint/clearcoat). Anyone have any tips on methods or products to repair or buff out?

20170626_184245.jpg

By the way, I saw a 2016.5 yesterday in a parking lot and made a note that it did not have these glossy/shiny surfaces on the exterior pillars. I forsee an ongoing challenge to keep these looking nice. In fact, even without those scratches, there are already a bunch of swirl marks on them -- perhaps from getting washed at the dealer? I've only washed the car once since I've taken delivery, and did so by hand with a microfiber wash mitt. I suppose the swirls could have been from grit that got picked up on the mitt, though.

that scratch is pretty deep and the black color looks like it's just painted on grey plastic and not a true full black molded plastic so the more you buff the more grey it will become, probably just easier to get a new trim piece and replace the damaged one, but add a clear film protector before installing the new trim

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/polish-black-trim/

that scratch is pretty deep and the black color looks like it's just painted on grey plastic and not a true full black molded plastic so the more you buff the more grey it will become, probably just easier to get a new trim piece and replace the damaged one, but add a clear film protector before installing the new trim

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/polish-black-trim/

That guy has some pretty great videos on how to keep your car looking new.

Didn't realize Mazda was continuing/expanding use of piano black trim. Really wish they'd get over it. It's so "2005"! And yes, it scratches way too easily.

The appearance of gray underneath the black is the lighting hitting just right off the scratches. I took the picture like this on purpose to highlight the scratches. From other angles, the scratches are less noticeable.

After skimming through the video and thinking about the elbow grease required to fix, I'll probably just buy a new trim piece or live with it as is.

I may put a clear 3m film on mine after giving it a good polish. I can't stand seeing those little marks all over it. If I look at the damn piece it scratches. I don't feel too bad though because I saw a Maserati Ghibli yesterday with the same plastic piece on it's door and it was really scuffed up.

Mine seemed to come with some light scratches from the factory. If it bugs me enough, I may take some gloss black vinyl to them.

I noticed the scratches on mine before I signed the paperwork last Friday. I even noticed scratches in the clear coat on the paint. I definitely plan on adding the 3M film on the shinny black plastic door trim like I did on my last car.

Back