Hard to start

Filter is new, at least the one in the pump/assembly (not the sock, but the assembly thing itself).

You know... Now that I think about it. My fuel tank was leaking a couple years ago, and I replaced it with an aftermarket unit. With the new tank, when it started getting low on fuel (maybe 4 gallons or less) the engine would cut out if you made a right turn, and then after a couple seconds come back. I presumed this was fuel sloshing away from the pump. I suppose its conceivable that could hasten the demise of the pump. I still can't understand why anyone would be that stupid to design a tank that is susceptible to that, but maybe I need to find a nice condition used tank and see if that solves the cutting out problem and then replace the pump.

Last edited:
...maybe I need to find a nice condition used tank and see if that solves the cutting out problem and then replace the pump.

That sounds like a lot of work...
I think you should just keep your tank above 1/4 full...
I never let my tank drop to 1/4 full.. It let's moist air into the tank that condenses into water... And the fuel in the tank works as a coolant for the pump... It's better to have your pump submerged in fuel.

My last vehicle (tracker) only got 300 km on a tank of gas.... I get a lot further in my P5 even keeping it above 1/4 full.

A fuel pump running dry is REALLY bad for it...

You can burn it out by running out of gas a couple of times.

In my 25 years of driving, I've only run out of gas once, and it was because I was new to the car, and used to own a similar car and assumed the gas gauges on the two cars read the same way. The notion that I should always keep at least 5 gallons of gas in it at all times for fear of it cutting out is absurd. If you think that's damaging the pump, then it's likely the pump is already damaged, and I need to replace the tank.

... If you think that's damaging the pump, then it's likely the pump is already damaged, and I need to replace the tank.

I guess... You've already replaced the tank once so you know what you're in for.

I hope a new tank solves the cutting out issue.

Can you see any other possible explanation for it cutting out while turning right when the car is low on gas? I mean, the only way I see it could cut out when turning right and it being low on gas, but only then is that for whatever reason the tank allows fuel to slosh away from the pickup. It's an aftermarket tank, so there is no guarantee that the internals of the tank, which are what are responsible for keeping the fuel near the pickup is the same as the original tank. The only other possibility, I could see is that somehow, I installed the tank wrong, which seems unlikely. Also, if you fill the tank until it clicks off and drive off, the fuel gauge (after taking some time to come up to the correct level) will show about 85% full. It can probably still take 2 gallons after it appears to be full.

I actually don't remember what is involved in replacing the tank, I'm sure it was a pain, but I have a lift, and I suspect a lot of the pain is associated with removing fasteners or hoses which were stuck. The good news is that since I've already cycled them, I doubt they'll be a big deal. I always replace questionable fasteners, typically with stainless if they are in nasty areas so hopefully it won't be too bad. There's a junkyard an hour from me that has a P5 tank for $50, so I'm going to go take a look and probably buy it.

Last edited:
Can you see any other possible explanation for it cutting out while turning right when the car is low on gas?

No... But.. Who Knows ?!!

It would really suck if you replace your tank and you still have turn right no go issues.....

I think you should open up your fuel tank cover and see of you see baffles like this... (+and replace your fuel pump while your there...) And go from there !!!

Last edited:
Have I lost every picture !!!

Fricken Photobucket...

Sent from my 7040T using Tapatalk
Pull your fuel tank cover and look for baffles...

If you see baffles, think twice.
If you don't see them replace it all...

(Fricken Photobucket,.. Shutting me down..._)
d80c6b7fa57ce39af63e49f97f751cc7.jpg

Pull your fuel tank cover and look for baffles...

If you see baffles, think twice.
If you don't see them replace it all...

(Fricken Photobucket,.. Shutting me down..._)
d80c6b7fa57ce39af63e49f97f751cc7.jpg

781840eddf99f2f0fecf17a7557b5e66.jpg
ccc2e6696d8346e83ed3b1c1884d066b.jpg

It's too late, I already bought the tank. I saw baffles when I looked at it, but that doesn't mean its correct inside. Like I said, other than the tank being installed in some odd orientation (which may itself be a defect in the design of the tank), I just don't see what could cause the problem other than the baffles being wrong. I mean, the baffles are designed to prevent EXACTLY the problem I am having. And yes, you're right it's going to be a pain to fix the problem, but I'm getting sick of all the fuel related issues (can't fill up fully, it cuts out when turning right when I only have a few gallons in the tank, and apparently, now it can be challenging to start the car).

.... (can't fill up fully, it cuts out when turning right when I only have a few gallons in the tank, and apparently, now it can be challenging to start the car).

I hear ya...

All I know is I'm not touching my rusty crap till I have to...

I put on a new fuel tank shield few years ago...
I broke a bolt and had to drill and tap a new threaded hole into the frame...

I hear ya...

All I know is I'm not touching my rusty crap till I have to...

I put on a new fuel tank shield few years ago...
I broke a bolt and had to drill and tap a new threaded hole into the frame...
65f7da7a8d33a7e573f4f3762b55dcbb.jpg

Back