Any one else having a/c issues?

VegasGMC`

:
2014 CX-9 Touring
I have a 2014 I bought 6 months ago. Has 40k miles. When outside temp is over 100F , the a/c doesn't blow as cold as other cars I've had and doesn't even cool well on the freeway. I'm sweating with a/c set at 60F. When its under 100, the air is freezing cold. I've been seeing a lot of complaints online about the new model having the same issue. Thanks

I have a 2014 I bought 6 months ago. Has 40k miles. When outside temp is over 100F , the a/c doesn't blow as cold as other cars I've had and doesn't even cool well on the freeway. I'm sweating with a/c set at 60F. When its under 100, the air is freezing cold. I've been seeing a lot of complaints online about the new model having the same issue. Thanks

easy fix, I had the same issue, you need re-charge your AC refrigerant , Wal-mart sells DIY kits or you can go to any independent shop to do it.

you need re-charge your AC refrigerant
Maybe. If the system has a different problem, and too much refrigerant is added, the cooling capacity is diminished.

Is the condenser...the radiator-like thing in front of the car's radiator...clean for good air flow or plugged with bugs & dirt? It needs to be clean.

Are these cooling fans 2 speed? It was 115 today and a/c was barely working. When I got home and popped the hood, I couldn't touch anything because it was so hot. Hood prop burned my finger and the fans were barely making noise. They should be roaring at these temps.

Are these cooling fans 2 speed? It was 115 today and a/c was barely working. When I got home and popped the hood, I couldn't touch anything because it was so hot. Hood prop burned my finger and the fans were barely making noise. They should be roaring at these temps.

Well roaring is a bit much to ask of an electric fan these days. If they are both turning that's a good thing. Whether or not they are turning fast enough depends on several factors.

As for speeds, there are actually more than 2. The CX-9 fan control module varies the voltage output to the fans as follows (from service manual):

DUAL FAN CONTROL MODULE RESULT REFERENCE
Inspection Condition - A/C - Engine coolant temp. - Result

IG SW ON or idling OFF Less than 96C {205F} 0 V (Fan stops.)
Idling OFF 96-106C {205-223F} 4.11-10.29 V
Idling ON(1) 96-106C {205-223F} Approx. 6.6 V
Idling ON(2) 96-106C {205-223F} Approx. 7.5 V
Idling OFF More than 106C {223F} B+
(1) Refrigerant pressure switch (middle) is off.
(2) Refrigerant pressure switch (middle) is on.

So if your coolant is above 223F, the fans get all 12 volts from the battery.

You can test the fans directly by disconnecting them from the control module and giving them 12 volts directly - that's your maximum speed.

I'd have your AC checked out and/or recharged. Oh, and yeah, that hood prop is always far too hot IMHO under even the best circumstances.

Thanks. I was thinking the fan module too. Unfortunately they are $400. I was hoping it used the same one the Lincoln 3.7 uses but they don't. The ones for Fords are $99. Its not a low charge. My pressures seem high-60/360, which makes me think not enough air flow. I guess I'll have the dealer check it. I'm also hearing a whine in 1st gear. Hope I didn't get a lemon.

Back