The official Review Thread

IMO utter rubbish.

Quality is very good here.

Main thing people complain about is MZD connect.

The rest of the vehicle(s) fine.

I've had my 6 for over 2 years and no quality issues whatsoever. I am expecting my next CX-5 to be the same

Agreed. My old Mazdas really didn't have any major issues.
My 3 I have had since new 11 years ago and only blew 2 struts (probably my autocrossing didn't help it).
The RX7 was ok. Engine was fine but interior was a little flimsy but then again it was a 1993 car... Otherwise it ran great. Did a lapping day at Homestead speedway and was doing 140mph or so in the bank/front straight!

LOL - remember that big MPG debate? Nice to see it is basically the same as the pre-2017's.

highway-results-cx5-photo-685718-s-original.jpg

highway-range-cx5-photo-685719-s-original.jpg

"Acceleration

The CX-5 has great throttle response when pulling away from stoplights or hustling around town, so it feels quicker than it actually is. It’s at higher speeds, such as when trying to pass or merging onto the freeway, that the naturally aspirated inline-four feels underpowered. The lack of verve is never worrisome, but having more power would align better with the CX-5’s other well-rounded attributes."

Mazda can easily fix this. They need to get working on putting the 2.5T into the newer CX-5s.

"Acceleration

The CX-5 has great throttle response when pulling away from stoplights or hustling around town, so it feels quicker than it actually is. It’s at higher speeds, such as when trying to pass or merging onto the freeway, that the naturally aspirated inline-four feels underpowered. The lack of verve is never worrisome, but having more power would align better with the CX-5’s other well-rounded attributes."

Mazda can easily fix this. They need to get working on putting the 2.5T into the newer CX-5s.

The diesel will do this as well, as would a 2.0T. I don't think they will ever put the 2.5T into the CX-5. Unless they dramatically improve it for the CX-9. Honestly, if VW can get 220 HP and 250 lb/ft torque from their 2.0T, Mazda should be able to.

"Acceleration

While I agree that having some more juice in there would be beneficial, I just did a trip to Steamboat Springs and back this past weekend. A big chunk of that drive is 2 lane highways with minimal opportunities to pass, and most of it is between 8,000 and 10,000 feet in altitude. I found that drafting a bit, putting in sport mode, I had no issues getting past cars going 60 or so, then returning to my lane.

As the commercial a couple years ago went...more is better. But I've found the lack of power to be a non-issue for me and the way I drive in the mountains. Overall, I've not really had to adjust my style of driving from my 6 cylinder Acura TL with the exception of it not handling as well on curves at speed, and understandably so.

The CX-5 has plenty of staying power for driving over mountain passes here in the NW. It is fantastic at that it falls short though when you need more right now it just isn't there. Overall as a 2.5 nat asp motor it exceeds for what it is. This car is growing on me more and more as I adjust it to my liking (creature comforts).

I gave up 35 HP, a Turbo, and added about 750 pounds....and I'm REEELLY happy with my car.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

While I agree that having some more juice in there would be beneficial, I just did a trip to Steamboat Springs and back this past weekend. A big chunk of that drive is 2 lane highways with minimal opportunities to pass, and most of it is between 8,000 and 10,000 feet in altitude. I found that drafting a bit, putting in sport mode, I had no issues getting past cars going 60 or so, then returning to my lane.

As the commercial a couple years ago went...more is better. But I've found the lack of power to be a non-issue for me and the way I drive in the mountains. Overall, I've not really had to adjust my style of driving from my 6 cylinder Acura TL with the exception of it not handling as well on curves at speed, and understandably so.
Have you tried passing a large truck on the open highways at 70-75 mph? It can be slow in my opinion, depending on where the wind is blowing and how loaded the car is. Drafting is much needed when attempting something like that. On my recent road trip, which I've posted about in the "What did you do... today..." thread, I noted how drafting is the way to go when doing higher speed passes. It actually gives it an extra pep when passing. However sometimes this is not really possible, drafting that is, if there is no vehicle in front of you to draft when passing a vehicle in another lane.

This is subjective really and I cannot fault anyone for thinking 187 HP in a 3450+ lb CUV is adequate. It might be adequate for you, but not adequate enough for me and whoever wrote that section from Car and Driver. Maybe it's my different driving style or maybe it's the environment I'm driving in. All I know is, when passing at highway speeds, I want it to be faster. (I have no issues with it when passing in city driving.)

No...went from a 225 HP Saab with a turbo to a 750 pound heavier CUV.

Ooops reading comprehension fail. In that case, I am amazed that you don't have any issues with it feeling underpowered at higher speeds.

I chalk it up to expectations. I expected the CX-5 to be significantly slower, especially with no Turbo. It's slower, no question....but still very fun to drive. I expected worse.

Driving my mother in-laws Cherokee this week. Unobtainium is so wrong when he says these cars are all the same. This car is anemic compared to mine.

Agreed. My old Mazdas really didn't have any major issues.
My 3 I have had since new 11 years ago and only blew 2 struts (probably my autocrossing didn't help it).
The RX7 was ok. Engine was fine but interior was a little flimsy but then again it was a 1993 car... Otherwise it ran great. Did a lapping day at Homestead speedway and was doing 140mph or so in the bank/front straight!

Over here, Mazda's have really good reputation for reliability.

"Acceleration

If enough reviewers and the public request this then it will happen.

Over here, when the first generation came out, it only had the 2.0L. From memory, on mass people complained so then the 2.5L was added.

But Saabs are kinda chick cars (sorry) so at least you went to something a bit less so:) but seriously the Saab was 2750? +You like Volbeat so that absolves you from prior sin! Dead but rising, who they are...pool of booze, evelyn (which grew on me) my faves. You?

Back