The official Review Thread

Had a 9-3 wagon. Not a chick car. Had a 900 coupe. The most unchick Saab. Wife had Convertible. Chick car.
Favorite Volbeat tunes. Tied for favorite: Black Rose, Sad Man's Tongue. #2 The Devil's Bleeding Crown. Evelyn hasn't quite grown on me. I like the later part when he sings normal but don't like the death metally s*** in the beginning.
Edit/ when I heard Bleeding Crown for the first time I swear I rewound that song no less then 30 times again, and again and again....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dig deeper..sad mans tongue certainly no qualms but black rose? Yeah? That song is part of why i don't like them as much as i used to...is it a bad song? No but for them just kinda weak sing-songy stuff..live record covers almost all of what i love from them. Seal the deal & gates of babylon probably my favorite of the new stuff. Previous 2 records just so much more solid in their entirety imo...

Saab and not a chick car (and I'm really not that guy) kind of a tough sell, but maybe i just didn't get it. Volvo R cars? Easy buyer if i had the $, which i really didn't back then. Mecedes c230 coupe...that was my guilty pleasure..but with 6mt, rwd, @27k, w/maintenance included, i accepted its chick car image with solid value and mechanicals

Last edited:
Re: Dark Rose. The lyrics speak to me. I like the singy songy stuff. Counting days til it's over, my friend, til it's over my friend, count along. I just love the flow of that. Getting older. What's important? A bag full of hopes and dreams... memories for me and you. So innocent were the days.... The solo? Love.
The end where the tune changes? Love.
I'm a huge lyrics guy. I like vocalists a lot, too and love the guest vocalist in that tune. That album, in general, is just one of those albums where I like nearly every tune.
I like Heaven and Hell a lot, too but didn't want to mention it, being a single and all. LOL
Sad Man was THE song that introduced them to me, thanks to a friend.
Haven't listened to Live yet. I'll be sure to pick that up.

Last edited:
Ok respect that...def get live (or download via gpm etc), and pick up tix, they're a great live act..Poulsen is truly a stand out rock vocalist and performer..nothing more was also fantastic imo..

Last edited:
Pick up Tix. 😫 Taunting me now. Fuckers skipping CLE. Haven't ruled out the COL show yet, though.

Getting older? Favorite band you're yet to see? Sounds like a job for the cx5!

Have you tried passing a large truck on the open highways at 70-75 mph? It can be slow in my opinion, depending on where the wind is blowing and how loaded the car is. Drafting is much needed when attempting something like that. On my recent road trip, which I've posted about in the "What did you do... today..." thread, I noted how drafting is the way to go when doing higher speed passes. It actually gives it an extra pep when passing. However sometimes this is not really possible, drafting that is, if there is no vehicle in front of you to draft when passing a vehicle in another lane.

This is subjective really and I cannot fault anyone for thinking 187 HP in a 3450+ lb CUV is adequate. It might be adequate for you, but not adequate enough for me and whoever wrote that section from Car and Driver. Maybe it's my different driving style or maybe it's the environment I'm driving in. All I know is, when passing at highway speeds, I want it to be faster. (I have no issues with it when passing in city driving.)

On my trip, I recall passing a large RV. I doubt they were doing 70/75 as the speed limit is 65 in most cases and I don't mind going five over. But, it was much easier to get to 80/85 on numerous occasions of passing than I expected. I also passed a line of three cars at one point on a small pass. There really wasn't much of a wind, nor was the car loaded up - just me and a bag with some clothes. I'm guessing I was also at a higher altitude that you were on your trip - i don't recall exactly where you were on your road trip.

It's definitely subjective and what works for me, won't necessarily work for you. However, I'll freely admit that I've been quite pleasantly surprised at how little I miss the extra power.

On my trip, I recall passing a large RV. I doubt they were doing 70/75 as the speed limit is 65 in most cases and I don't mind going five over. But, it was much easier to get to 80/85 on numerous occasions of passing than I expected. I also passed a line of three cars at one point on a small pass. There really wasn't much of a wind, nor was the car loaded up - just me and a bag with some clothes. I'm guessing I was also at a higher altitude that you were on your trip - i don't recall exactly where you were on your road trip.

It's definitely subjective and what works for me, won't necessarily work for you. However, I'll freely admit that I've been quite pleasantly surprised at how little I miss the extra power.
Well said fellow Coloradan.

I also never have issues passing. I often have to do a double take of my speedometer and slow myself down.

And I'm guessing we are absolutely higher elevation than most in these cases.

Don't drive your CX-5 like a granny folks :)

On my commute home, I often do this little juke move. A new lane merges in on the right from an on ramp and stays a lane. Before the lane fully merges... quite a bit before while there's still a large divide before it merges completely: I punch it in the Mazda, zip over the divide and get in front of 2 or 3 cars. I tried that in the Jeep yesterday. OMG. I am embarrassed for the Jeep. It was awful.

Well said fellow Coloradan.

I also never have issues passing. I often have to do a double take of my speedometer and slow myself down.

And I'm guessing we are absolutely higher elevation than most in these cases.

Don't drive your CX-5 like a granny folks :)

Never had a problem passing on I-25 or on the Autobahn. It doesn't have the pep of my M4, but it is adequate for road trips. I'm not sure I can relate to these folks complaining about rolling acceleration because cafe racing isn't even the point of this car.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

The throttle response does feel a lot lighter on this car compared to my mazda3, especially after changing out the stock air filter for the jbr drop in filter. On my commute to work, I'm often going 70+ without knowing when I'm in the cx-5 as it seems to take very little effort going over speed limit once you're up to speed. This can also be due to how quiet and smooth this car is compared to my previous car, my mazda3 was lowered and much more road/wind noise so it gets louder the faster I go. However, I can definitely feel the extra weight of the cx-5 when merging onto the freeway compared to the mazda3. I'll try using sport mode next time when merging onto the freeway from a standstill next time to see if it makes any difference. Speaking of sport mode, I haven't needed to use it much on the cx-5 and the few times that I've tried it while on the freeway, it isn't as smooth and engaging as it was on the mazda3, probably be due to its extra weight. With the mazda3 when I have my parents in the car I would have sport mode on when on the freeway for the car to feel lighter on its feet, w/o sport mode on I feel like I have to floor it more often. Don't have to do this on the cx-5 so far. Overall, no complaints on this car, it's very comfortable and still fun to drive. Looking forward to taking it on my road trip next year to see how it does.

Never had a problem passing on I-25 or on the Autobahn. It doesn't have the pep of my M4, but it is adequate for road trips. I'm not sure I can relate to these folks complaining about rolling acceleration because cafe racing isn't even the point of this car.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
You can't relate because every time a little more power is needed in this car shows up, it's always talked about as racing and performance, and it has absolutely nothing to do with that...This car would benefit greatly with a few extra ponies under the hood, and it could be easily accomplished with the same setup offered now with even the same gas mileage to boot...

On my commute home, I often do this little juke move. A new lane merges in on the right from an on ramp and stays a lane. Before the lane fully merges... quite a bit before while there's still a large divide before it merges completely: I punch it in the Mazda, zip over the divide and get in front of 2 or 3 cars. I tried that in the Jeep yesterday. OMG. I am embarrassed for the Jeep. It was awful.

Haha yea my sister has a Cherokee and they think it's the greatest. Even that junk ZF 9 speed...... I don't get it because it even stranded them once when the transmission just decided PayPal refuse to move. (Software issue there was a recall for which I informed them about and they still didn't take care of it until it stranded them). Now she's saying she wants a Grand Cherokee.

The post FCA interiors got better but I think the reliability actually got worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over here, Mazda's have really good reputation for reliability.

I think they do here as well with those familiar with them. I think the problem is a lot of people here in the states just look at Honda and Toyota, only domestic, or they might like the Germans. Part of that is probably from the Ford days when it was neither domestic or foreign. Subaru managed to pull out of obscurity here. I think Mazda can too. They have the product but probably need to work on brand marketing.

I think they do here as well with those familiar with them. I think the problem is a lot of people here in the states just look at Honda and Toyota, only domestic, or they might like the Germans. Part of that is probably from the Ford days when it was neither domestic or foreign. Subaru managed to pull out of obscurity here. I think Mazda can too. They have the product but probably need to work on brand marketing.

Well their image is changing from the bad old Ford days so the peoples should take another informed look at Mazda now

Back