The official Review Thread

I love the 3 hatch though! I also think a hatch is a short wagon or a wagon is a long hatch If you prefer.

CRV is just funky all around and inside too. Such disjointed styling. Lots of space though I guess.

There is a marked difference between a hatch and a wagon.

Agreed. That's why I don't understand this line (uhm)

Yet you already own a tall wagon...

You guys sure do some impressive mental gymnastics to suit your own little internal narratives lol

Unless some folks are using hatchback/wagon interchangeably.

CX-5 looks like a way better proportioned 3 hatchback (imo). Doesn't look like a wagon at all.

Last edited:
I love the 3 hatch though! I also think a hatch is a short wagon or a wagon is a long hatch If you prefer.

There is a marked difference between a hatch and a wagon.

Yes that difference is length. For example golf vs gold sportwagen. Or focus hatch bs estate.

I guess length can be a deciding factor, as can the number of pillars.

I always considered the CX5 a wagon... sorry ColoradoDriver! (drinks)

Yea the 2 isn’t that great but I didn’t mention it because they don’t sell it here as a Mazda. Its sold as a Scion though.

That's not sold here anymore. Also agree 3 Sedan is weakest model..

Still is here:

image.png

Hatches are much smaller then wagons. To wit:

Saab 9-3 Hatch

1999_saab_9-3_2_dr_viggen_turbo_hatchback-pic-1288013183704822376-640x480.jpeg

Saab 9-3 Wagon

041c5ffa554af83d47ae0e1dafe003d1--saab--slammed-cars.jpg

Volvo Hatchback
35322406_SD.jpg

Volvo Wagon
gdltuxgihcrk5dhii97k.jpg

I mean, my god, the Volvo is barely from the same planet.

Not fair Mr Falconer.... you're intentionally selecting only 3 doors for your HB pics....

So here's a 2 door wagon:

bottlerats427wagonb.JPG

Also- I like this new emoji:

(thinkbeer

Last edited:
One example I’ll bring up. In MKV before the Jetta split the Golf, Sportwagen, and Jetta were all basically the same car. The Golf was shorter and considered a hatch of course. The Jetta and Sportwagen though were the same length actually. Just that the Jetta has a trunk vs the straight back open space of the wagon. Some wagons have roofs that slant back and sometimes almost look like a sedan. Example Tesla model S. This all gets very subjective you see.

Hatches are much smaller then wagons.

Not always:

MiniWagon.jpg

Going back on topic, another latest review of CX-5:

2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring awd petrol review - could this be the sweet spot for mazda's medium suv

VERDICT | OVERALL

Truly, the medium SUV segment is as competitive as you’ll find right now. The Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage are both excellent buys with superior warranties, and soon Holden will have what could be its first competitive product with a re-badged version of the Chevrolet Equinox (time will tell).
Already Mazda has to fend off strong competition from Subaru, Honda, and Volkswagen while battling against the respected (but ageing) competitors from Toyota and Mitsubishi. There’s no doubt about it - buying in this segment right now is a boggling experience.

Yet despite the white noise, the Mazda CX-5 still stands out - partially because of how it drives and partially because of how inclusive the Touring model is, with plenty of equipment and a price that’s (just) friendly enough to appeal to hard-working families without feeling like you’ve had to downgrade.

Back