The official Review Thread

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
NG CX-5 The official Review Thread [2017+]

Time for an "OFFICIAL" Review thread. (No, I don't work here and have no authority to call something official ... I'm just using words).
A thread to help folks with a 1 stop shop so to speak to find both PRO and OWNER reviews on the NG (NEW GEN) CX-5.

Please refrain from full on comparison arguments. I don't want is this to become a 100 page CX-5 versus *any* other model thread. Obviously you can certainly mention other cars in your review, but if someone has a disparaging remark about your favorite car, please try to refrain from defending it.
"Yea, but at least the Rogue has Apple Car Play!". Please. Don't.

This one just popped across my news feed. I like the last line: "A crossover that drives this well, looks this good, feels this luxurious and costs this little is an absolute kingslayer." Ha!
I also like how they mention the front end. Seems like every other car company is totally focused on making sure the front ends look identical across every model. Not Mazda. Not yet, anyway... after all they did add the 6 front chrome trim piece to the CX-5.

Mazda CX-5 review: One of the best compact crossovers on the market

Last edited:
I was thinking just a collection of YT and Pro reviews and a place we could comment on them.
Doesn't matter to me. What say the group?

What I don't want is this to become a 100 page CX-5 versus *any* other model thread. Obviously you can certainly mention other cars in your review, but if someone has a disparaging remark about your favorite car, please try to refrain from defending it.
"Yea, but at least the Rogue has Apple Car Play!". Please. Don't.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Just put out a format for personal reviews?

Review:

Pros:
Cons:

Conclusion:

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Just edited first post. No specific format needed. I do like the idea to end with: PROS, CONS, CONCLUSIONS. But not required.
Also edited title, this is for the 17's+, obviously.

I also like how they mention the front end. Seems like every other car company is totally focused on making sure the front ends look identical across every model. Not Mazda. Not yet, anyway... after all they did add the 6 front chrome trim piece to the CX-5.

My coworker said he almost got in an accident looking inside a CX-5, trying to see the HUD after I told him about mine. Then he said, but that one didn't look like a shark in the front like yours. (probably helps I got the gray as well)

Well CR likes it I guess..now 2nd alone with 80pts behind the Forester and in front of Rav and CRV. Funny their touring stopped 4' shorter, did the avoidance manuever 2mph faster and they also like the ride better vs CRV. 0-60 took 8.6 vs 8.2 for CRV...I'd post the link but seems the site still hasn't been updated with test results..cheers

Well CR likes it I guess..now 2nd alone with 80pts behind the Forester and in front of Rav and CRV. Funny their touring stopped 4' shorter, did the avoidance manuever 2mph faster and they also like the ride better vs CRV. 0-60 took 8.6 vs 8.2 for CRV...I'd post the link but seems the site still hasn't been updated with test results..cheers

Interesting. Let us know more details, as you get them.

The CR review says our CX-5 gained some weight in 2017, 155 pounds, but that is a good thing, better ride, not so "boomy" over the bumps, and nicer interior.

I love my 2016.5 Touring and I will put the 2017 on my list when it comes time to trade.

I read the review and it is positive. It is interesting that the CX-5 TOURING AWD scored 80 points which is the same score as the Audi Q3 which costs $10k more! I emphasize TOURING because CR failed to explain the trim levels. I was surprised that they did not talk about Sport, Touring and GT and the different features. I also wonder what a GT would have scored.

Also from the review:
Highs: Ride, quietness, handling, standard forward-collision warning with low speed automatic emergency braking
Lows: Low mounted dash vents, complicated infotainment system
MPG: 24
Reliability: Above average (vs. average for the Honda CRV)

Last edited:
I have never understood the "complicated infotainment system" comments when they arise. I find Mazda's system to be one of the easiest and most intuitive I've ever come across.

Agree. And some reviews praise it for being intuitive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The CR review says our CX-5 gained some weight in 2017, 155 pounds, but that is a good thing, better ride, not so "boomy" over the bumps, and nicer interior.

I love my 2016.5 Touring and I will put the 2017 on my list when it comes time to trade.
It's actually only gained 88lbs

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have never understood the "complicated infotainment system" comments when they arise. I find Mazda's system to be one of the easiest and most intuitive I've ever come across.
Same here

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have a morbid curiosity about what the difference is between people who find Mazda's system complicated versus those of us who consider it easy and intuitive.

I have a morbid curiosity about what the difference is between people who find Mazda's system complicated versus those of us who consider it easy and intuitive.

Basically with more use, in my case I know exactly where the functions I use are located.

Back