Separate pages for 1st and 2nd gen CX-5?

Would splitting the forum solve issues we're currently facing? I don't think so. Anyway, how would <2017 owners know that they have an inferior vehicle than us if our posts aren't mixed? :p

A slower, worse braking, smaller cargo space, worse ground clearance, worse gas mileage, uglier vehicle(subjective)... Wait who has the inferior vehicle again?

But really, the 17 is largely in part the same vehicle as the 16/16.5. Mazda did some nice things with the 17 but remained stagnant and in fact, objectively got worse in other areas. Like the 17 CRV, Mazda needs to make a big splash and improve across the board. Then I think the CX5 will be deserving of a separate page. Even at that, I think we as a community are better off keeping it all together. Because I agree, the second you start separating everything, we lose the uniqueness and knowledge which is what makes this forum fun and helpful.

Antoine, that's a good idea. I think some users have already done so and it really helps out. Not only do I read the title and see if it portrays to me or if I could help, but seeing the year would further clear up whether a certain post is applicable to a user.

Last edited:
I'm all for "fun and games" but can we actually discuss the topic at hand here...Doesn't seem like anyone is using the test prefix yet (which is fine)...I could put stickies in each CX-5 forum reminding people to include the appropriate model year in their thread titles (if applicable to the topic)...Thoughts?

I also want to add that even with separate forums, some people WILL post in the wrong forum either by mistake or because they're unsure where to post given all the options. Not all CX-5 owners as well as potential-owners are fully versed in CX-5 / Skyactiv terminology and we need to be welcoming to both types!

I also want to add that even with separate forums, some people WILL post in the wrong forum either by mistake or because they're unsure where to post given all the options. Not all CX-5 owners as well as potential-owners are fully versed in CX-5 / Skyactiv terminology and we need to be welcoming to both types!

Definitely. I hope tagging/identifying posts is the best solution, or I predict we'll have many "wrong forum" replies :)

FWIW I have a 2017 and have no problems with the posts being mingled.

A slower, worse braking, smaller cargo space, worse ground clearance, worse gas mileage, uglier vehicle(subjective)... Wait who has the inferior vehicle again?

But really, the 17 is largely in part the same vehicle as the 16/16.5. Mazda did some nice things with the 17 but remained stagnant and in fact, objectively got worse in other areas. Like the 17 CRV, Mazda needs to make a big splash and improve across the board. Then I think the CX5 will be deserving of a separate page. Even at that, I think we as a community are better off keeping it all together. Because I agree, the second you start separating everything, we lose the uniqueness and knowledge which is what makes this forum fun and helpful.

Antoine, that's a good idea. I think some users have already done so and it really helps out. Not only do I read the title and see if it portrays to me or if I could help, but seeing the year would further clear up whether a certain post is applicable to a user.

Yep yep

For those saying this is a 2nd Gen : compare 2013 Corolla with 2014 (which is a true generation switch)
4 spd auto to CVT
highway EPA from 33 to 43
Full styling change front to back
Upgraded info system
Older one was wider - newer one you can touch the passenger side door even if you are 5'7 or 5'8
Another countless changes.
Interior changes - huge.

Anybody can take your 16 and do some changes and ECU tune - give it back to you - you will say ohh it drives totally different. Nope.
This is not a gen step up. Its a facelift at best. Its still the same engine - can it be milked till 2018, Maybe - but I hope transmission failures go down and windshield failure rate goes down.

For those saying this is a 2nd Gen : compare 2013 Corolla with 2014 (which is a true generation switch)
4 spd auto to CVT
highway EPA from 33 to 43
Full styling change front to back
Upgraded info system
Older one was wider - newer one you can touch the passenger side door even if you are 5'7 or 5'8
Another countless changes.
Interior changes - huge.

Anybody can take your 16 and do some changes and ECU tune - give it back to you - you will say ohh it drives totally different. Nope.
This is not a gen step up. Its a facelift at best. Its still the same engine - can it be milked till 2018, Maybe - but I hope transmission failures go down and windshield failure rate goes down.

All new interior
All new exterior
Different chassis
Different steering
Different wheelbase
Different suspension geometry
Different suspension components
Upgraded engine
Upgraded transmission
Upgraded ecu
Aucostic glass
And so many more things...

I honestly don't see how you can say it is the same car?

All new interior
All new exterior
Different chassis
Different steering
Different wheelbase
Different suspension geometry
Different suspension components
Upgraded engine
Upgraded transmission
Upgraded ecu
Aucostic glass
And so many more things...

I honestly don't see how you can say it is the same car?

Who said its the same car? I just said it does not constitute what a Generation Change in the industry is called.
In 2018 if buyers get an upgraded drive train the 17 owners will be left holding a bag imo. Same looking car but goes slower and sips more fuel.

Mazda did the look upgrade now but I cant see this drivetrain with Upgrades doing well in 2020 or even 2019. And the next big upgrade in CX-5 wont be body + drive train. It will mostly be the latter. The body with minimal changes might continue for few more years.

Who said its the same car? I just said it does not constitute what a Generation Change in the industry is called.
In 2018 if buyers get an upgraded drive train the 17 owners will be left holding a bag imo. Same looking car but goes slower and sips more fuel.

Mazda did the look upgrade now but I cant see this drivetrain with Upgrades doing well in 2020 or even 2019. And the next big upgrade in CX-5 wont be body + drive train. It will mostly be the latter. The body with minimal changes might continue for few more years.

I always thought that when everything is changed, and the manufacturer calls it all new, and the manufacturer also changes the generation notation in the VIN, is when we call it a next generation. So you are saying that because the 2.5L motor is virtually the same, that it is not a new generation? The "refresh" to the "KE" gen, was the changes made from the 2015 to the refreshed 2016 model. The 2017 "KF" is an all new, different generation vehicle as defined by Mazda. The "KF" Gen CX-5 will get the diesel for 2018 model year, whereas 2019 model year will see the HCCI engines in the Mazda3 first, with hybrid and plug in platforms expected to reach US market in 2019-2020.

Last edited:
It's the same engine and tranny. Please show me anything official that says otherwise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always thought that when everything is changed, and the manufacturer calls it all new, and the manufacturer also changes the generation notation in the VIN, is when we call it a next generation. So you are saying that because the 2.5L motor is virtually the same, that it is not a new generation? The "refresh" to the "KE" gen, was the changes made from the 2015 to the refreshed 2016 model. The 2017 "KF" is an all new, different generation vehicle as defined by Mazda. The "KF" Gen CX-5 will get the diesel for 2018 model year, whereas 2019 model year will see the HCCI engines in the Mazda3 first, with hybrid and plug in platforms expected to reach US market in 2019-2020.

Several months ago I read an article that was discussing things with a Mazda exec and the discussion was that 2017 was a "sheet metal" change with ~2019-2020 (exact model year TBD) being a true "platform change"

I think "All new" is a stretch by the marketing department.

It's the same engine and tranny. Please show me anything official that says otherwise.

So same engine and transmission used (even if modified slightly) signifies the generation of car cannot change?

Hell, an Audi A3 and a VW GTI have the same engine and transmission. Are they the same car? The same generation of car? Why even separate one as Audi and one as VW? Only difference between the two is just a little sheet metal, few interior parts, maybe modified suspension, but hell they are basically the same car right?

If you need other examples I can give them to you, but I think you get the point.

Yep, looking more and more like this will be my first and only Mazda...

Changes to the engine were in piston shape and design, and increase of power from 184 to 187hp.
Changes to the transmission were in shifting logic, and gearing ratios.

Wikipedia pages calls it a new generation too? (not the best source though...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_CX-5

Here is the MAZDA OFFICAL PRESS RELEASE...
http://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/release/2016/201612/161215a.html

Last edited:
Thank you. Looked everywhere for that. Doesn't change my opinion that we shouldn't split. I doubt we'll have any piston issues to discuss. LOL.

Thank you. Looked everywhere for that. Doesn't change my opinion that we shouldn't split. I doubt we'll have any piston issues to discuss. LOL.

You are very welcome!

Yes, after hearing the logic from both sides, I have to say I agree. Leave it like it is, and just maintain a descriptive model year in the thread title.

Several months ago I read an article that was discussing things with a Mazda exec and the discussion was that 2017 was a "sheet metal" change with ~2019-2020 (exact model year TBD) being a true "platform change"

I think "All new" is a stretch by the marketing department.

I can't find that article, maybe you have a link? Car and Driver and MotorTrend both mention the '17 as second generation CX5.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Japan-Spec: A First Taste of Mazda's Next-Gen Crossover
"For the CX-5s second generation, the 2017 iteration takes design cues from the new CX-9 and the Mazda 3 while nearly matching its predecessors dimensions."
Car and Driver http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-mazda-cx-5-japan-spec-prototype-drive-review

2017 MAZDA CX-5 GRAND TOURING AWD FIRST TEST
"The previous-generation CX-5 was great on a back road, too, but it was one of the loudest crossovers in the class on the freeway."
Motor Trend http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-5/2017/2017-mazda-cx-5-grand-touring-awd-first-test-review/

I agree there is no need to separate the generations. But there is definitely a difference.

I think maybe a 2017+ infotainment etc section would be sufficient

Latest posts

Back