Separate pages for 1st and 2nd gen CX-5?

Sorry, I don't go into other Mazda forums to know that they aren't separated by generation.
I can understand having the CX-5 Lounge but why not have generation specific pages for Audio, Accessories and Appearance, etc?
As I scan through some of the topics, I can't tell which gen they're talking about.
For example, I found one topic referring to (TSBs?) about hood flutter. As I scrolled through it I couldn't tell which genetation they were referring to...at all !

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well when was the tsb issued?
Critical thinking skills.

I have heard 2017 Infotainment system is also quieter. Definitely its own section.

First of all, thanks to mooreaccurate72 for the heads up and to everyone for the feedback!

I understand the appeal of separate forums but the reality is it may actually reduce activity in the long run. We used to organize forums into generations etc and they were all active for the most part but this was before "Social Media" became so prevalent. In my experience, there is a fine balance between segmentation and activity...Too many segments / sections and no one section is active...Too few sections and organization / experience suffers.

Keep the feedback coming, I'm very interested to know everyone's thoughts on this...I will review the CX-5 section more closely as well...Thanks again!

First of all, thanks to mooreaccurate72 for the heads up and to everyone for the feedback!

I understand the appeal of separate forums but the reality is it may actually reduce activity in the long run. We used to organize forums into generations etc and they were all active for the most part but this was before "Social Media" became so prevalent. In my experience, there is a fine balance between segmentation and activity...Too many segments / sections and no one section is active...Too few sections and organization / experience suffers.

Keep the feedback coming, I'm very interested to know everyone's thoughts on this...I will review the CX-5 section more closely as well...Thanks again!

You are correct that separating forums by model change year does ultimately reduce the traffic in the older thread. However those that keep the vehicles for 8 to 10 years reap the benefits of updates and self help to maintain their cars with separate threads. Also not separating threads can cause members to loose interest due to talk about all the wonderful new features available in the current generation. In the end the older generation will flip back and forth until they purchase a current thread vehicle. I personally belong to a thread that separates every model year change and I enjoy flipping from speaking about my current model to reading about how others are enjoying the current one. In the end everyone wins!

You are correct that separating forums by model change year does ultimately reduce the traffic in the older thread. However those that keep the vehicles for 8 to 10 years reap the benefits of updates and self help to maintain their cars with separate threads. Also not separating threads can cause members to loose interest due to talk about all the wonderful new features available in the current generation. In the end the older generation will flip back and forth until they purchase a current thread vehicle. I personally belong to a thread that separates every model year change and I enjoy flipping from speaking about my current model to reading about how others are enjoying the current one. In the end everyone wins!

Thanks for the thoughts...Valid points! When you say "threads", I believe you mean "forums", correct? Just to clarify...:D

Let's try something...I've created the test prefix "2017+" for the CX-5 forums so for now, you have the option of adding "2017+" to your thread title...What do you guys think? Useful?

Of course, simply adding the appropriate model year to your thread titles can help with this issue. (thumb)

I would have really liked to have read that. Needed a good laugh.

It was a bit too...forward... for this forum's CoC, and I didn't feel like numbing it to be PC. We have had a lot of threads lately that have been heavily moderated, and I just didn't feel like it. Basically, I was going to ask him if he even cared enough to LOOK AT THE TSB (listed under the TSB thread...) and if so, how he felt about a TSB being issued in 2012,(and later again, here, if he had cared to Google it: https://mazda.oemdtc.com/272/hood-vibrates-when-driving-at-highway-speeds-2013-2014-mazda-cx-5), applying to the 2nd gen CX5 (2017, you know, when it lists the affected production years IN THE TSB and all...).

I then diverged into an explanation of how time-lines worked, and over-simplified things so that it could be digested without any chewing required. Then I felt like I was at work and just stopped and deleted it, because I'm not getting paid for this.

At any rate, you've succeeded, although this post wasn't quite as excoriating. Maybe I have pounded this topic into a mush that can be digested and assimilated.

Last edited:
Basically, I was going to ask him if he even cared enough to LOOK AT THE TSB (listed under the TSB thread...) and if so, how he felt about a TSB being issued in 2012,(and later again, here, if he had cared to Google it: https://mazda.oemdtc.com/272/hood-vibrates-when-driving-at-highway-speeds-2013-2014-mazda-cx-5), applying to the 2nd gen CX5 (2017, you know, when it lists the affected production years IN THE TSB and all...).

I then diverged into an explanation of how time-lines worked, and over-simplified things so that it could be digested without any chewing required. Then I felt like I was at work and just stopped and deleted it, because I'm not getting paid for this.

You can't see the forest for the trees. You are missing the point...

This thread is about creating separate threads/topics/pages for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 CX-5. The reason for this?
Because forum users want an easy, intuitive, clear, efficient method for gathering information about their generation vehicle.

This is what the poster said that drew your irrelevant response:
As I scan through some of the topics, I can't tell which gen they're talking about. For example, I found one topic referring to (TSBs?) about hood flutter. As I scrolled through it I couldn't tell which genetation they were referring to...at all !

As he SCANS THROUGH the topics, he can't tell which generation they are talking about. He then provided ONE example.
Yes, of course we can Google every topic on this forum, in an attempt to decipher if it is referencing the 1st or 2nd generation.
But since we're "not getting paid" to be on this forum, that doesn't seem very efficient, does it?

You can't see the forest for the trees. You are missing the point...

This thread is about creating separate threads/topics/pages for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 CX-5. The reason for this?
Because forum users want an easy, intuitive, clear, efficient method for gathering information about their generation vehicle.

This is what the poster said that drew your irrelevant response:
As I scan through some of the topics, I can't tell which gen they're talking about. For example, I found one topic referring to (TSBs?) about hood flutter. As I scrolled through it I couldn't tell which genetation they were referring to...at all !

As he SCANS THROUGH the topics, he can't tell which generation they are talking about. He then provided ONE example.
Yes, of course we can Google every topic on this forum, in an attempt to decipher if it is referencing the 1st or 2nd generation.
But since we're "not getting paid" to be on this forum, that doesn't seem very efficient, does it?

I'm more polite when I'm on the clock.

Common sense is nice. So are separate forums for separate vehicles, which the 2017, functionally, technically, is.

Eh. Look at who posts here everyday.

Are we really a big enough community to be segmenting further? Hell a lot of sections are ghost towns already.

Just properly identify your thread titles and seems like it should be fine.

Thanks for the thoughts...Valid points! When you say "threads", I believe you mean "forums", correct? Just to clarify...:D

Let's try something...I've created the test prefix "2017+" for the CX-5 forums so for now, you have the option of adding "2017+" to your thread title...What do you guys think? Useful?

Of course, simply adding the appropriate model year to your thread titles can help with this issue. (thumb)

Seems like there should be a "2013-16.5" prefix too, then. If a topic applies to both generations, then no need for a prefix.

Seems like there should be a "2013-16.5" prefix too, then. If a topic applies to both generations, then no need for a prefix.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for other markets where the years don't match up to the US market.... like the 2012 cx-5's that never existed in the USA, or perhaps the 2016.5's that never existed anywhere else.... Segmenting the forum by the different generations would be most sensible and easiest for everyone, new and old...
(whistle)

Last edited:
Back