Separate pages for 1st and 2nd gen CX-5?

Unfortunately that doesn't work for other markets where the years don't match up to the US market.... like the 2012 cx-5's that never existed in the USA, or perhaps the 2016.5's that never existed anywhere else.... Segmenting the forum by the different generations would be most sensible and easiest for everyone, new and old...
(whistle)

Indeed. We don't get ".5", we go by year or MY17.

It was a bit too...forward... for this forum's CoC, and I didn't feel like numbing it to be PC. We have had a lot of threads lately that have been heavily moderated, and I just didn't feel like it. Basically, I was going to ask him if he even cared enough to LOOK AT THE TSB (listed under the TSB thread...) and if so, how he felt about a TSB being issued in 2012,(and later again, here, if he had cared to Google it: https://mazda.oemdtc.com/272/hood-vibrates-when-driving-at-highway-speeds-2013-2014-mazda-cx-5), applying to the 2nd gen CX5 (2017, you know, when it lists the affected production years IN THE TSB and all...).

I then diverged into an explanation of how time-lines worked, and over-simplified things so that it could be digested without any chewing required. Then I felt like I was at work and just stopped and deleted it, because I'm not getting paid for this.

At any rate, you've succeeded, although this post wasn't quite as excoriating. Maybe I have pounded this topic into a mush that can be digested and assimilated.

I like this guy

These cars aren't different enough. Period. Obtanium says the tranny and ECU are different? Want to bet? The ECU is, I'm sure, the same exact part number, but with a software update. Please show me something somewhere from any official source that the tranny is different? G Vectoring? G vectoring is not a hardware upgrade, it's a software upgrade. I could be wrong on that... I don't think I am. It's like a 17 is a Stage 1 16. :D
OK OK even *IF* the tranny was different... how different could it be? And would a different tranny produce some weird problem endemic to only that specific tranny? Aren't there PLENTY of people here that can diagnose a failing tranny, no matter the model? It's certainly not different enough to warrant its own home. Now if it was a new 9 speed tranny? Maybe.
The "2017 Adaptive Headlights" thread is a good example. The 17 headlights look different... the 17 headlights illuminate a little when in DRL mode but otherwise... they operate exactly like mine do.

Hate to beat this dead horse... But we somehow managed at SaabCentral... http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Well shoot, why then don't we put all the skyactiv cars in the same forum?
(sick)

They are different cars, period... From the inside to the out, from the wiper blades to the wheels, from the engine and trans and ecu, to the different headunits, and different color red paint. From the TPMS systems, to the CD players... There just are hardly any part numbers shared between the two vehicles...

Maybe after 6 months of having to ask "what year CX-5 do you have?", when someone asks where the CD player slot is... (deadhorse

In conclusion, I agree that just by simply putting the model year in the threads title, there would not be much need for separate gen forums.

Last edited:
Well shoot, why then don't we put all the skyactiv cars in the same forum?
(sick)

They are different cars, period... From the inside to the out, from the wiper blades to the wheels, from the engine and trans and ecu, to the different headunits, and different color red paint. From the TPMS systems, to the CD players... There just are hardly any part numbers shared between the two vehicles...

Maybe after 6 months of having to ask "what year CX-5 do you have?", when someone asks where the CD player slot is... (deadhorse

In conclusion, I agree that just by simply putting the model year in the threads title, there would not be much need for separate gen forums.

I think the 16 was a bigger leap than the 17. New infotainment and sport mode on the transmission. The 17 is new sheet metal. No doubt there are minor mechanical updates that go with every version but it's largely the same vehicle underneath.

Get. Over. Yourselves.

Power comes from a 187-hp, 2.5-liter four-cylinder, the only engine available on this model. The engine, mostly carried over from the previous CX-5, does the job well. The six-speed automatic, also carried over and the only version available,

You're not special. You're not a completely different car. I hate to be the one to tell you.
:D :D

(I kid because I care)

Refute it. Why do you think it's NEW?

I think the 16 was a bigger leap than the 17. New infotainment and sport mode on the transmission. The 17 is new sheet metal. No doubt there are minor mechanical updates that go with every version but it's largely the same vehicle underneath.

I am sorry craigo but this is incorrect... Have you seen one in person, or driven one yet? I urge you to watch some videos or read some more on ALL of the changes made to the ALL-NEW 2017 Mazda CX-5.

They share virtually nothing but the name...

Last edited:
My thoughts when 17 came out was - Mazda is milking this drivetrain for another year. Maybe they will keep the same body but offer more options in 2018 or go skyactiv 2 in 2020 - whatever I have read seems that nothing significant will come in 2018/19.
There were no hybrids options. Eco performance hybrid is a space they need to explore - there are people who will not buy anything thats not too eco friendly; there is a market and Toyota / Kia are exploring that.
No engine Options (Mazda till date has 4 engine options in their entire lineup in USA. Maybe same as Mitsubishi)
No electric
No powerful options for zoom zoom type buyers.
No offroad trim or anything different.

They made it more Family type CUV but cargo was reduced - that is confusing. Not only cargo capacity is reduced - its been decimated.
It was overall a "meh" feeling. If my CUV were to be replaced now - I would not consider a 17 even at 15% off msrp. Nope.
The box has been upgraded but the drivetrain is same. I need more wow factor than 'a quieter cabin but drives 99% like my 16.5' - maybe better mileage or something.

A Gen2 is probably what Skyactiv 2/ Hyrbid / Range extended electric / 2.5Turbo with some body or design changes would be.

Last edited:
Would splitting the forum solve issues we're currently facing? I don't think so. Anyway, how would <2017 owners know that they have an inferior vehicle than us if our posts aren't mixed? :p

Its still an engine option (well I hope), true not "all new" but I don't live in the UK so for a Japanese company to bring a diesel in their best seller here well that's pretty significant (and cool) in my book. Poopoo it all you want, 310lb-ft combined with cracking->teehee) highway fe and all a sudden I'm warming up to the thought of gen1.5..they did quietly decimate the cargo hold though completely agree:(

I am sorry craigo but this is incorrect... Have you seen one in person, or driven one yet? I urge you to watch some videos or read some more on ALL of the changes made to the ALL-NEW 2017 Mazda CX-5.

They share virtually nothing but the name...

I'm fairly sure the rear wiper arm and blade are the same. They look exactly like the one on my '14.

Everything else is different on the exterior and interior. Every accessory is different.

Not sure how many different part numbers will be associated with the engine/transmission, but there are definitely some differences.

We had the same debate with the speed forum...the 1st and 2nd gen are almost the same but in reality are different cars and behave differently so they created a section for each and it worked great.

I drove a 16' , 16.5 and they are not on par with the 17'. Yes they share the same name but thats about it, so many little things that are improved/changed that I recommend a dedicated section for it.

Latest posts

Back