Heads up display: Do you like it and why?

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Long time fan, first time potential Mazda owner. Looking at a 2017 CX-5 comments, and noticed that many people claim to like the heads up display; however, I don't see any explanation to WHY they like it so much. Clearly, no explanation is needed, but I'm wondering if anyone is willing to share their feelings of why they like the HUD?

The package to get this is costly, but I would be more interested in the 2-position memory seat. I wish there was a cheaper way to get this feature. At any rate, if someone can sell me on the advantage of the HUD, then maybe I would feel better about the package.

Appreciated, dub00

My previous car is a 2014 mazda 3 sGT which has the HUD from a flip up plastic piece. This was the first car I've had that has a HUD and I liked it a lot. It's nice to have the information at your line of sight without having to look down. Having had that car for over 3 1/2 years, I've become accustomed to the HUD. Only thing I did not like was sometime that plastic screen would not flip up and I would need to turn off the car and restart it, ended up having it replaced.

Now on the 2017 CX-5, this would be the second car I've had with the HUD. I love the one on this car a lot better because it's actually projected onto the windshield like a proper HUD. The amount of information on it is pretty good too and being able to see the speed limit on it is a nice touch. I have prescription sunglasses that are polarized and it makes the HUD disappear. However, I tinted my windshield (70% tint) and I can actually see the display now with my sunglasses on. I guess it reduced a lot of glare or something. I guess by now I'm just used to seeing the speed up on the windshield at eye level, but yeah I do like it a lot lol

On my mazda 3 one of the things I wished it had was one touch close sunroof and memory seats, I just hated whenever the seat is moved and it takes forever to find the right spot again. Plus auto closing sunroof is a plus for me now lol

Already been discussed at length here:

The HUD display in the 2017

On my mazda 3 one of the things I wished it had was one touch close sunroof and memory seats, I just hated whenever the seat is moved and it takes forever to find the right spot again.

In the 2017 CX-5 GT, you can program your memory seat into the transponder. So when you unlock the door and open it, the seat will automatically adjust to your preferred setting.

Memory seat 1 to transponder 1
Memory seat 2 to transponder 2

Last edited:
I like my HUD very much. I hardly even look down at the speedometer anymore. It also gives you simplified and easy-to read nav instructions. When you get the "premium package" you get more than just the HUD. You also get the 2-position driver memory seat, 6-way power passenger seat; and cold-weather niceties like rear heated seats, heated steering wheel and windshield wiper de-icer.

Just didn't go for it

I test-drove with the HUD twice and didn't like it; found it distracting. For the $$ price of the package, didn't care about heated back passenger seats or automated front passenger seat settings. Auto memory drivers seat, though, I REALLY wanted that, and was very surprised it only came with the premium deal. So, no automated seat for me but happy enough to have passed on the rest. We have had other cars where the auto memory was standing on GT models, so, big disappointment.

You will get used to the heads up display. I first found it annoying on my mazda 3 but after a while I found it really useful and it becomes second nature to you. Having it display the speed limit is most useful IMHO. I was a bit disappointed I had to get the premium package in order to get the HUD. However I wanted memory seats and HUD, I could care less for the heated rear seats and wiper deicer since it never freeze or snow here lol

I test-drove with the HUD twice and didn't like it; found it distracting. For the $$ price of the package, didn't care about heated back passenger seats or automated front passenger seat settings. Auto memory drivers seat, though, I REALLY wanted that, and was very surprised it only came with the premium deal. So, no automated seat for me but happy enough to have passed on the rest. We have had other cars where the auto memory was standing on GT models, so, big disappointment.

If this version is very similar to the CX-9's, you should be able to turn off HUD:

1. On your infotainment touchscreen display, selecting the Settings icon from the Home screen.
  2. Select the AD-Disp tab.
  3. From here, you should be able to select the Active Driving Display On/Off option to turn off the display completely.

Source: How to Turn Off the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Active Driving Display

Therefore you could've got the rest of the package including memory drivers seat and not needed to use HUD.

Just a thought.

⋯ Therefore you could've got the rest of the package including memory drivers seat and not needed to use HUD.
Just a thought.
It's the matter of how much these features will cost. $1,830 for a GT Premium Package with only a memory seat you REALLY want, that's too much! I really hope Mazda North American Operations can follow the configuration like Mazda Canada - with memory seat standard in CX-5 GT since 2016.5 MY!

It's the matter of how much these features will cost. $1,830 for a GT Premium Package with only a memory seat you REALLY want, that's too much! I really hope Mazda North American Operations can follow the configuration like Mazda Canada - with memory seat standard in CX-5 GT since 2016.5 MY!

I know but at this time, its the only way to go.

Here's hoping Mazda USA HQ wake up to themselves and throw in more standard features!

I think the other features in the package would win you over

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wifey really likes the HU - keeps her from speeding. Trust me, that's a GOOD thing.

That said, I don't care for it that much, the 2-pos seat memory is fine but not a deal-breaker if it didn't have it, and we surely don't need rear heated seats or a heated wheel. But alas, that's what she wanted so the car has it.

I don't care for the lane departure thingy either, I turn it off, she turns it back on. It's fine on a trip, but we only use signals about half the time in so-Cal so that thing is tugging at you all the time.

IMO there's too much going on with the HU too. But that's how they do it, so like it or lump it. At least you can turn it off you don't like it.

Oh, and with polarized sunglasses it virtually disappears. :)

Wifey really likes the HU - keeps her from speeding. Trust me, that's a GOOD thing.

That said, I don't care for it that much, the 2-pos seat memory is fine but not a deal-breaker if it didn't have it, and we surely don't need rear heated seats or a heated wheel. But alas, that's what she wanted so the car has it.

I don't care for the lane departure thingy either, I turn it off, she turns it back on. It's fine on a trip, but we only use signals about half the time in so-Cal so that thing is tugging at you all the time.

IMO there's too much going on with the HU too. But that's how they do it, so like it or lump it. At least you can turn it off you don't like it.

Oh, and with polarized sunglasses it virtually disappears. :)

You know you can have the lane departure only warn you and not actually drag you back, right? You can turn off the assist portion and only have the warning portion.

After some more time with it, the only thing I really don't like on it is the braking/distance to the car in front of me. I can see the car in front of me just fine without the HUD. I haven't found an option to turn it off at this point.

But the speed, speed limit, blind spot monitors without having to look at the mirrors and Nav integration are all very useful for me.

And it's easy enough to turn the HUD brightness to manual with the brightness cranked up a bit when wearing polarized sunglasses during the day, if necessary.

Sounds like you should be in a BMW because their turn signals never seem to work. Also, start using your dang turn signal. (chair)

Back on topic, I love the HUD. It allows me to keep my eyes on the road.

I love the HUD a plastic thing that pops up. I have stopped looking at the speedometer. The HUD has all the information you need (speed, speed limit, turn and exit direction from navigator, blind spot warning, etc)and at the eye level. You do not know what you are missing!

We have a new-to-us 2021 CR-9. I love the Heads-up Display, however my wife, for whom we bought this car, hates it. (I have one in my BMW and love it.) We have figured out how to turn it off, but it comes on again the next time we start the car. It doesn't remember the "off" setting. Any ideas how to fix this?

Mazda can't please everybody. If you don't like the HUD turn it off. I personally like it very much. on my 2022 PP

We have a new-to-us 2021 CR-9. I love the Heads-up Display, however my wife, for whom we bought this car, hates it. (I have one in my BMW and love it.) We have figured out how to turn it off, but it comes on again the next time we start the car. It doesn't remember the "off" setting. Any ideas how to fix this?
Just select the seat selection that corresponds to your wifes. I assume one setting is for her and one for you.
Once you select the wife's setting move the HUD down below sight line, it's in the settings screen.
This way your wife won't see it.

Back