Tire Pressure light illuminated alongwith DSC/TCS light came on - 2016.5 Touring

Kaps

Contributor
:
CX-5 Touring 2016.5
So I was doing my daily yesterday and these two lights
images

1.htm5.gif

Came on at the same time. I pulled over and checked my tire pressure - all checked out well.
Started the car and drove carefully. Just before I pull into my parking- the lights went on.

Note both lights came on - stayed on, did not flicker. They turned off at the same time.

When I parked - i measured the tire pressure and due to the heat some tires had 40 psi. I know once it cools down it should go down a bit, I still pulled 1-2 psi out of all tires.

Any idea why is this happening? Can i drive it till monday when I give in for service. also pretty sure its hard to recreate this in front of a dealer.

I had a similar thing happen to my VW Jetta. It turned out to be a bad rear wheel speed sensor. Actually not the sensor but the magnetic ring that's built into the rear hub. Initially I replaced the sensor, no help. After replacing the hub all was well once again.

If you're asking what the speed sensor has to do with the tire pressure and the traction control systems, the computer uses data from the speed sensor to determine what's going on with the wheels for the TCS and the TPMS.

I had a similar thing happen to my VW Jetta. It turned out to be a bad rear wheel speed sensor. Actually not the sensor but the magnetic ring that's built into the rear hub. Initially I replaced the sensor, no help. After replacing the hub all was well once again.

If you're asking what the speed sensor has to do with the tire pressure and the traction control systems, the computer uses data from the speed sensor to determine what's going on with the wheels for the TCS and the TPMS.

It seems its safe to drive - I will keep an eye and tell the service dept. Not sure how much incentive they have to check it though.

It seems its safe to drive - I will keep an eye and tell the service dept. Not sure how much incentive they have to check it though.

It will store some kind of code. Both on at the same time suggests an error - but who knows, it could be temporary. I've had the TPMS bong at me when pressure was fine. I reset it and no problems since.

May be you'll get lucky like Jonno21 who got TPMS light and have a TSB performed with a pair of newly revised rear calipers to resolve the inevitable EPB problem? :)

But honestly I believe you have different issues as you had both TPMS and TCS on, and you checked your tire pressure and there was no issues. It should be a one time glitch or some ABS speed sensor issues. But I hate "one-time glitch" which usually means it eventually will happen again in the future! I actually would drive more and try to duplicate the issue. Hope you took some pictures to show your dealer what was happened.

As recommended, set your tire pressure when the tires are cold (I like overnight) and reset the monitor. Ed

As recommended, set your tire pressure when the tires are cold (I like overnight) and reset the monitor. Ed

The OP said that he is also getting warnings from the TCS system, so the issue is more than just resetting the TPMS.

If one tire is triggering the low pressure light then it may very well set the TCS system light. Nothing can be determined UNTIL the tire pressures are set cold with a good gauge and, the system is normalized. The owners manual should have the procedure for this model. Ed

So I was doing my daily yesterday and these two lights
images

1.htm5.gif

Came on at the same time. I pulled over and checked my tire pressure - all checked out well.
Started the car and drove carefully. Just before I pull into my parking- the lights went on.

Note both lights came on - stayed on, did not flicker. They turned off at the same time.

When I parked - i measured the tire pressure and due to the heat some tires had 40 psi. I know once it cools down it should go down a bit, I still pulled 1-2 psi out of all tires.

Any idea why is this happening? Can i drive it till monday when I give in for service. also pretty sure its hard to recreate this in front of a dealer.

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I have something similar going on. Took it to the dealership a few weeks back and they reflashed the throttle control module which seemed to have fixed things. This morning, though, the same lights came on again. I think in my case it might be a bad sensor. My vehicle isn't driving strangely in any way. Along with these two lights I also have a check engine and the automatic transaxle lights illuminated.

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I have something similar going on. Took it to the dealership a few weeks back and they reflashed the throttle control module which seemed to have fixed things. This morning, though, the same lights came on again. I think in my case it might be a bad sensor. My vehicle isn't driving strangely in any way. Along with these two lights I also have a check engine and the automatic transaxle lights illuminated.
You definitely have more issues than Kaps. You can take your CX-5 to AutoZone to read the codes for free and get a printout with a list of associated problems. Then take your CX-5 with the printout to your Mazda dealer for warranty service. Of course you want to mention this's a 2nd try for the same problem.

You definitely have more issues than Kaps. You can take your CX-5 to AutoZone to read the codes for free and get a printout with a list of associated problems. Then take your CX-5 with the printout to your Mazda dealer for warranty service. Of course you want to mention this's a 2nd try for the same problem.

Thanks for the advice, mate. I've already set up another appointment with the dealership so I'll just go by AutoZone beforehand.

So, just wanted to update my side of things. A lot of ppl don't update issues that they have in here so that doesn't help should someone else experience the same or similar thing.

This was part of a service bulletin. I'm not sure which one so if someone wants to help me dig, I'd be happy to work together or something. If not, I can ask when I go back to see if they can tell me more details. Basically this was a 2 part service bulletin. If flashing my throttle control module didn't fix the issue of the AT, TCS/DCS, tire pressure and check engine light coming on randomly, the 2nd part to this is for them to pull the transmission pan and go in and check that area out. I was informed today that a part was ordered (even before doing this) so sounds like it's a part issue. I will be sure to get more precise detail when I (hopefully) go in to get my car on Monday. What sucks about all of this is that I've been trying to deal with the original dealership because they've needed to repaint a door and didn't do a good job the first time around. That's another story for another time. Cheers!

Since you have a check engine light on, you can go to an auto parts store and have them pull the codes for free. There will probably be more than one code, So be ready to write them down. I had the two lights on along with check engine light, and the parts store pulled about 5 codes. All pointed to the brake light switch at the brake pedal. It was a $20 fix, two years ago. No problems since.

Had the exact same thing happen in my 2016 when I had apprx 900 miles on the odo. Checked all tires and pressure was good. Reset the TPMS and everything went away and never returned. Even the warning messages disappeared from the warning screen. Currently have 17,900 on odo and no problems since.

If there's no CEL doubtful there would be codes. He can check the Warning Screen and see if there's anything there. If so take a pic in case the warnings go away.

I suppose it would've been smart of me to say that my vehicle has just over 19k miles on it and is still under the new car warranty through Mazda. All the work they're doing is free of charge. No need to take it to AutoZone ;) also the check engine light went out before I had a chance to get there. Not sure how long before codes get cleared but I'm aware they can clear on their own. Anyway, the mechanical work is done. I'm going by in a few hours so I'll have more details after that as to what the issue was.

As promised, here are the details. The paperwork includes the service bulletin number. Apparently the cause was oil pressure switches that needed to be replaced with updated ones. Please see link for details/paperwork

Service Bulletin 05-005/16

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kJ9TBO6EiduDRRZ42
Thanks for the follow-up posting and it sure would help other CX-5 owners having a similar situation. Unfortunately you didnt have a chance to pull the codes (yes, the CEL codes would be there to read for a while) so that we can see what the CEL codes and related problems would be by an AutoZone reader for your specific case due to the oil pressure switch stuck on.

Interestingly TSB 05-005/16 has never been posted here before. And therere 2 parts for oil pressure switch, FZ01-21-2C0 for switch A and FZ01-21-2J0 for switch B. More strangely, your dealer did a free ATF drain-and-fill for you with 4 quarts of fresh Mazda FZ ATF and a new ATF strainer/filter FZ01-21-500 by taking the ATF pan down! (uhm)

The posted invoice states "P0847 OIL PRESSURE SWITCH STUCK ON". CEL P0847 for generic OBDII code means the transmission fluid pressure sensor in sensor B circuit is not working properly. This means 2 "oil" pressure switch A and B are actually the ATF pressure switches. That explains why joydestroy's CX-5 got a free ATF change.

Back