New Calipers at 7,800 Miles!

:
2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto
Hi all

The short story is that discovered one of my rear wheels was overheating. The TPMS warning came on due to excessive tyre pressure on overheated wheel. Mazda recovery came out and car low-loaded to dealer. Dealer waiting for parts as new caliper(s) required. Will be fixed under warranty as known problem? Meantime driving a hire car, Vauxhall (GM) Mokka X. Err. horrible car, very noisy and gutless auto petrol (140hp) engine.

Anyone else had caliper issues?

I gather that this is due to an issue with the EBP control unit not releasing the park brake properly.

Heard of 2 other cases, one currently being fixed here in Aus, same symptoms. Will need a new EPB control unit and rear discs, pads and possibly calipers depending on damage done.

Actually you should consider yourself lucky as you've got new revised rear calipers to prevent future problem on electrical parking brake as many of 2016(.5) CX-5 owners may encounter the same problem eventually but their CX-5's are out of warranty. There's a TSB R052/16C for replacing the rear calipers、discs、and pads due to the rear brake dragging resulting in overheating、brake noise and the outer disc pad abnormally worn out caused by poorly designed rear brake calipers for EPB. Anchorman had the same problem and he posted the TSB. Read and print the TSB and make sure your dealer ordered BOTH revised rear calipers with correct part number and everything else listed in the TSB.

Glad you appreciate the PDFs. I really enjoy reading them.

The control module is no longer part of the TSB, they found changing it was not effective. I had one rear brake getting hot. I couldn't feel it but I could see the discoloration of the disc so might be worth checking. They did both calipers, the discoloured disc and a new set of pads all under warranty.

This shows how to operate maintenance mode

View attachment 216813

This is the latest TSB

View attachment 216814

This is how to change the rear pad and note NOT to press and turn the piston. You only need to turn slightly without pressing if the pins don't line up.

View attachment 216815

This one shows the operation of the EPB and the emergency braking mode.

View attachment 216816

Good reading! Guess I might have some of this to look forward to. I didn't realize there was an actual emergency braking function with this unit.

Actually you should consider yourself lucky as you've got new revised rear calipers to prevent future problem on electrical parking brake as many of 2016(.5) CX-5 owners may encounter the same problem eventually but their CX-5's are out of warranty. There's a TSB R052/16C for replacing the rear calipers、discs、and pads due to the rear brake dragging resulting in overheating、brake noise and the outer disc pad abnormally worn out caused by poorly designed rear brake calipers for EPB. Anchorman had the same problem and he posted the TSB. Read and print the TSB and make sure your dealer ordered BOTH revised rear calipers with correct part number and everything else listed in the TSB.

yrwei52 and Anchorman you are both stars(yippy)(yippy)(yippy)(yippy)(yippy)

The dealer I'm using has been good in the past so hopefully they will do a thorough job. THIS IS what forums are designed to do which is help people without constant bitching about CRV advantages/disadvantages blah blah blah.

Jonno21

It's perhaps worth mentioning that I couldn't actually feel mine dragging but I did notice the discolouration of the disc. I then paid attention and noticed it smelling one day so I always prepare a case ready for any situation and collected some evidence which I've shown here in photos. There are the two different temperatures and the discolouration. As it was the dealer fully accepted my explanation and changed both calipers, one disc and fitted a new set of pads. Advice then is go and look and if you see anything, get straight on to the dealer.

IMG_3280_zpsk8udxqu1.jpg

IMG_3281_zps3nwh1rwl.jpg

IMG_3282_zpsorhrdznq.jpg

Interestingly, I couldn't feel any dragging. I was about 1 mile from home from a long journey when the TPMS light and beep started, so I assumed I had a puncture. When I got out the car it was obvious something was wrong as there was a lot of banging and metallic pinging noises coming from the rear nearside wheel as though it was cooking. The heat was intense as i could feel it 2 to 3 feet away. I couldn't touch the tyre as it was so hot. When Mazda Assist came later the wheel had cooled down. We went out again for approx 2 miles with no evidence of dragging and when measured the offending side was already at 55 degrees centigrade and the others were about 40 degrees.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that I couldn't actually feel mine dragging but I did notice the discolouration of the disc. I then paid attention and noticed it smelling one day so I always prepare a case ready for any situation and collected some evidence which I've shown here in photos. There are the two different temperatures and the discolouration. As it was the dealer fully accepted my explanation and changed both calipers, one disc and fitted a new set of pads. Advice then is go and look and if you see anything, get straight on to the dealer.

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php
I have the same type of IR gun, guess I'll keep it with me. My car's build date is 8/16, a month before the TSB came out.

The dealer I'm using has been good in the past so hopefully they will do a thorough job. THIS IS what forums are designed to do which is help people without constant bitching about CRV advantages/disadvantages blah blah blah.
If I were you I'd make sure the service advisor is aware the latest R052/16C TSB as I found they sometimes don't bother to check. This TSB started with replacing the EPB control module with revised one on first 2 TSBs, now the revised rear calipers.

As for "vs" thread I don't really mind to read and write on both sides as long as it doesn't get too emotional and starts personal attacks. :)

Thanks for the tips. Never thought about getting an IR gun for any use but now I think I need one to check the temperature on rear disks. My warranty is getting close to expire and I hope I can find some early evidence to get this TSB performed. It seems dragging always happens to the right rear?

Im going to recheck my brakes, as I had the EBP control unit replaced under the earlier version of this TSB due to a "warped disc" noise from the rear brakes.

At the time it was replaced, the dealer said the discs and pads were fine. I might see if I can find that code on the calipers to see what their production date is.

Thanks for the updated TSB.

Im going to recheck my brakes, as I had the EBP control unit replaced under the earlier version of this TSB due to a "warped disc" noise from the rear brakes.

At the time it was replaced, the dealer said the discs and pads were fine. I might see if I can find that code on the calipers to see what their production date is.

Thanks for the updated TSB.

You'll see it. It does stand out because I checked the new ones. Quite sure I did it with the wheels on.

You'll see it. It does stand out because I checked the new ones. Quite sure I did it with the wheels on.

Just had a look. Calipers are late 2015 build. (My car was also a late 2015 build). Discs look fine, I cant see any discolouration.

I then did a couple of the diagnostic tests as per the TSB

1. Brakes release evenly, no roll to one side is evident. Brakes release quickly when the car is driven off.
2. no noise from brakes at low speed
3. No discolouration of rear discs as previousy noted

So given no other symptoms, I dont think I have a problem, I am however going to get the dealer to check the rear brakes comprehensively as per the TSB procedures, at the next service, which is in about 5000kms.

From reading the TSB, the ultimate sign of this problem is that one rear brake pad will be worn disproportionately badly. The TSB also seems quite clear that if the checks are all done and the pads are all evenly worn, the problem simply doesnt exist.

One thing is obvious - this problem clearly does not happen in all CX5's in the VIN range. Otherwise there would be tens of thousands of reports of the issue, this forum would be inundated with complaints, and we are simply not seeing that.

In fact compliants about this issue are few and far between.

I wonder if there is a reason for that?

One thing - until today, I had never driven off with the park brake still on so that the auto-release mechanism activated - I had always manually turned it off before moving off.

To tell the truth, I didnt know that my car had the auto-release park brake feature! LOL! Checked the owners manual and its in there, but buried on about the second or third page covering the electric park brake!

So i wonder if the worse cases of this problem has something to do with the regular use of the auto-release of the park brake? Rather than mnaually releasing it? Anchorman, have you been a regular user of the auto-release?

Or whether it is just one of those things where a few vehicles get unlucky?

Last edited:
So i wonder if the worse cases of this problem has something to do with the regular use of the auto-release of the park brake? Rather than mnaually releasing it? Anchorman, have you been a regular user of the auto-release?

Hi Moonlighter

Speaking from personal experience only, I hardly ever use the auto-release function as old habits die hard with the old school handbrakes. Seems to be the luck of the draw

Jonno21

Thanks Jonno.

It's a strange thing then!

We have 1 member on the Aus Mazda CX5 Fb page whose car is at their dealer at the moment having this issue addressed. But they are keeping her in the dark as to what has happened etc. I have sent her a copy of the updated TSB.

Last edited:
Just had a look. Calipers are late 2015 build. (My car was also a late 2015 build). Discs look fine, I cant see any discolouration.

I then did a couple of the diagnostic tests as per the TSB

1. Brakes release evenly, no roll to one side is evident. Brakes release quickly when the car is driven off.
2. no noise from brakes at low speed
3. No discolouration of rear discs as previousy noted

So given no other symptoms, I dont think I have a problem, I am however going to get the dealer to check the rear brakes comprehensively as per the TSB procedures, at the next service, which is in about 5000kms.

From reading the TSB, the ultimate sign of this problem is that one rear brake pad will be worn disproportionately badly. The TSB also seems quite clear that if the checks are all done and the pads are all evenly worn, the problem simply doesnt exist.

One thing is obvious - this problem clearly does not happen in all CX5's in the VIN range. Otherwise there would be tens of thousands of reports of the issue, this forum would be inundated with complaints, and we are simply not seeing that.

In fact compliants about this issue are few and far between.

I wonder if there is a reason for that?

One thing - until today, I had never driven off with the park brake still on so that the auto-release mechanism activated - I had always manually turned it off before moving off.

To tell the truth, I didnt know that my car had the auto-release park brake feature! LOL! Checked the owners manual and its in there, but buried on about the second or third page covering the electric park brake!

I did use the drive away feature quite a lot and I could feel the car pull down on one side.

The other consideration for all readers is that my car didn't always do it. It started then got worse so try and make sure you monitor it in the first three years while under warranty.

It's almost funny, I never use the parking brake. Now I probably should to determine if my car has defective rear calipers.

It's almost funny, I never use the parking brake. Now I probably should to determine if my car has defective rear calipers.
If Mazda has redesigned the rear caliper to resolve dragging issue from EPB, this means every old style caliper sooner or later will develop similar problems.

If Mazda has redesigned the rear caliper to resolve dragging issue from EPB, this means every old style caliper sooner or later will develop similar problems.

Mazda doesnt seem to agree. From the last line in the Diagnostic section of the TSB:

If the disc plates and pads are in normal condition, the problem does not exist. This
Service Information is not applicable.

That, plus there are still only a small number of reports of the symptoms of this issue being reported by owners, suggests that your statement is just an opinion.

Last edited:
Back