Candy Apple Red

OldGinger

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Red / Parchment

Hello Folks,

Just bought my car, just joined you all. In explaining to my sister why I--a 70 year old man--bought a 2017 Soul Red Crystal CX 5, I told her it all began in the late 1950's, for me at least. In those days cool guys bought old cars, stripped them down, and customized them with baby moons and all the other festive touches celebrated in a song like "Little Deuce Coupe." And the cool guys' favorite color was called Candy Apple Red. These guys were my heroes. I had no car; my dad drove a green Ford.

I thought it was gone forever, but it has been reborn, courtesy of our Japanese friends, as Soul Red Crystal.

The Honda CRV I was also considering somehow never touched me, never reached out to me. I am not an engineer, and this is not an engineer's way of speaking; or an accountant's either, for that matter.

So my purpose in writing--besides to say hello--is to contribute my little piece to the endless thread about Honda vs.Mazda, but mainly to ask if any of you remember that old color--candy apple red--and recognize it in the gorgeous car now beaded with rain water in my driveway.

My God, he's right?!? It's the modern Candy Apple Red!?!
😎👍
Welcome to the forum, brother!
1fb5fabd1dfb75cf5795053ad4818272.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wow, you're right. That is a beautiful red, reborn!

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I am not old enough to know about this "Candy Apple Red". Congrats on your new car!

I've had quite a few people ask me about the color and make reference to candy apple red. It turns a lot of heads, which is neat especially around here where i'm surrounded by BMW's, Mercedes, Lexus', and Maserati's, with the occasional Phantom, Lambo's and the mother of them all, Ferrari's.

great color choice OldGinger, CONGRATS !!! I saw one in person on the local street and the 2017 red seemed like a deeper more reflective red than 2016

2017-cx5-gt-soulred-frontangle-global.png

Last edited:
I see that this is your first post. Welcome to the forum from Long Island, NY
I will suggest it to my daughter, since she was looking for the darker gray or the silver.
Lots of health to enjoy it.[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you play battlefield1? There is a 70 year old on a server i play on.

2017 Soul Red is a different formulation from the previous 2016 and before model and goes by the full name Soul Red Crystal.

great color choice OldGinger, CONGRATS !!! I saw one in person on the local street and the 2017 red seemed like a deeper more reflective red than 2016

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Gorgeous color and great car! Congrats!

Thanks for the warm welcome! The CX-5 is impressive in almost any color, but it's no accident that Mazda, in its glossies and websites and so on, puffs the red. An unforgettable color. Don't know about you, but red strikes me as a hard color to get just right. Think of the problem any gardener has in combining red flowers with other colors...

My second place choice was the Eternal Blue, but my wife ho-hummed me out of that idea.

Generally I scorn the unimaginative and imitative color choices offered these days by most companies. Believe it or not, I almost considered a Chevy Spark just because of a beautiful lemon cream color they had. The Honda CRV "parallel" to the Mazda red is Crimson Lava if I recall. It is unpleasantly suffused with orange. Their Red Basque Pearl is ok but dwindles into darkness next to candy apple red.

I'm hoping to learn from all of you.

OldGinger - Us too! Same generation. Same memories of 'Candy Apple Red.' And ... maybe, the same generational 'anti everything sentiments' including now - in 2017, "Down with the fifty shades of gray!" worn by so many other cars.

Candy Apple Souls ...

Mazda and other makers have brought a deep, rich, red to the masses with the three-layer tinted clearcoat premium paints. However, if you've ever seen the hot-rod show car candy paints, particularly the 20+-layer hand-rubbed lacquer custom jobs, they are amazing. My favorite is Candy Brandywine

Hello Flyer,

You are deeply into the topic. Do you have an easily uploaded photo of the Candy Brandywine?

Back