2017 CX-5 Bose Centerpoint Poll

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Hi All,

Long-time viewer, first-time posting! I just got a 2017 CX-5 GT with the Premium Package and was curious to know of those of you that have the Bose system in your CX-5 if you turn the Bose Centerpoint option on or leave it off? My take is that it definitely makes it sound different, but not necessarily better so I leave mine off. Any thoughts on this? (And, sorry, if this has been asked before - I looked but couldn't find it.)

Also, I'm coming from a 2014 BMW 328 and this forum was really instrumental in helping me make up my mind on the CX-5, so great big thanks to you all!

Cheers!

I've got a 2016 so it may sound a bit different, but I've taken to leaving it on. It does work better with certain types of music, so I do turn it off occasionally, but for me the default is ON. It gives a more expansive soundstage, making the speakers "disappear" a bit. Others (I'm sure!) will disagree.

I leave CenterPoint off. To my ears it makes the music sound unnatural. My wife likes it better on, go figure.

I've got a 2016 so it may sound a bit different, but I've taken to leaving it on. It does work better with certain types of music, so I do turn it off occasionally, but for me the default is ON. It gives a more expansive soundstage, making the speakers "disappear" a bit. Others (I'm sure!) will disagree.

Same.

I thought it was a neat effect at first, but I've turned it off. Anyone else notice how much better the speakers sound now that they're broken in?

OP: Where in LA are you from?
Me, I live in Westchester and work near DTLA (USC).

I leave mine off because it make the sound stage disappear. Nobody should listen to music in surround sound...why would you wanna listen to music in surround sound?? It's not like the artist comes around and sings at every corner during a concert. I get so annoyed with centerpoint.

Off for me. Left it on at first, but it's too processed. When off, the soundstage is nice and wide.

I leave mine off because it make the sound stage disappear. Nobody should listen to music in surround sound...why would you wanna listen to music in surround sound?? It's not like the artist comes around and sings at every corner during a concert. I get so annoyed with centerpoint.
Exactly! I've been saying all along that surround sound system is for movie watching, not for music listening! Surround sound is originally designed for home theater system, not for high fidelity music system.

But since we always have a strong mid-range center dash speaker and weak surround sound fill-in mono channel D-pillar rear speakers, our Bose system would never be sounded right even if we turned the fake Centerpoint surround sound off.

I thought it was a neat effect at first, but I've turned it off. Anyone else notice how much better the speakers sound now that they're broken in?

OP: Where in LA are you from?
Me, I live in Westchester and work near DTLA (USC).

Beverly Grove - between the Grove and the Beverly Center. Starting to see a couple of other new CX-5s in the neighborhood. Thanks for the response!

Thanks all for the replies! Okay, now, what about the AudioPilot noise compensation? On or off? Haven't had enough chance to see if it makes a difference.

On. It's makes a difference. I've had it in other cars, always on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ive got a 3 month old 2017 CX5, and Ive got to say that Im pretty disappointed by the Bose speaker system.

I thought Id be blown a away by the sound quality, but the 9 or however many speakers dont even sound as good as my Sonos 5 speakers.

Looks like taking off Centrepoint might improve a bit. Do they get better after a while?

Generally speaking, new speakers sound "better" after they've been "broken in". I've noticed this with car stereos, home stereos and guitar amps/cabinets.

I've always left centerpoint on, same as in my mazda3. I just tried turning it off and I like it a lot better for some reason. Music sounds more normal and xm isn't as quiet anymore. I noticed xm channels are always a bit soft on volume compared to everything else. Turning off centerpoint kinda helped up the volume a bit.

Off off off. It sounds 'strange' with it on. I was also disappointed with the Bose system sound quality at first, but as someone else noted, the speakers sound better after a while.

They bose sounds definitely better now that they have been broken it. Center point is good for orchestra music to my ears. For all else, it's off. Also, when on the audio is balance for both front and rear passengers.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am not a Bose fan by any stretch of the imagination, but the Bose stereo (speakers?) in these cars is fantastic. Puts the stock radio in....every car I've owned... to shame.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back