CX5 GT Replacement Tire Experience

gftease88

:
Mazda CX 5
I have a '15 CX-5 GT AWD and my OE Toyo's are ready to be replaced at 32k miles. I've narrowed down my search to Pirelli P7's, Continental TrueContacts and the General Altimax and all have good review through publicized sources (Consumer Reports & Tirerack). However when you read reviews from actual user, they are either completely glowing for a person who's had them for a couple hundred miles or they're complaining of wear after 20k-30k miles, its hard to what is reality. I've read nearly every post on here about tires and there are various opinions but most seem to be based on research and not on actual experience.

Does anyone have real world experience with these tires? I'm not an aggressive driver, will occasionally take the car up into the mountains on dirt or snow covered roads but nothing that would approach serious off roading. It may be a pipe dream but am looking to get close to if not the rated mileage on the tires.

Thanks!

I've had the Altimax RT43 on my FWD Touring (17" wheels) for about 5k miles now and I'm happy with them. Like any tire, they needed 1k miles or so to bed in, which is maybe why you find inconsistent reviews/comments on TireRack. And as for longer life, that shouldn't be a problem. The CX-5 is not particularly hard on rubber. The reason you couldn't get more miles than you did on the OE Toyos is that their UTQG is only 300, whereas the tires you're considering for replacement are all 600+. You may not get double the mileage, but it'll be a damned site better than the Toyos at considerably less cost.

Some folks have touted the lower weight of the altimax resulting in better fuel economy, did you see any noticeable bump?

Some folks have touted the lower weight of the altimax resulting in better fuel economy, did you see any noticeable bump?

Actually, I noticed a decrease in fuel mileage and I'm not sure why that is. It's about 1-2 mpg on the computer, which might not be accurate if it's calculations are affected by slightly different diameter of the newer rubber. But it is what it is and as long as I'm getting hi-20s to lo-30s, I'm not complaining. It occurred to me that Mazda may use particularly low rolling resistance OE tires also.

Last edited:
No Michelin Premiere? I just put those on and they are fantastic. Far less road noise and less high frequency vibrations transmitted to cabin (means less rattles) - but still great handling.

I have a '15 CX-5 GT AWD and my OE Toyo's are ready to be replaced at 32k miles. I've narrowed down my search to Pirelli P7's, Continental TrueContacts and the General Altimax and all have good review through publicized sources (Consumer Reports & Tirerack). However when you read reviews from actual user, they are either completely glowing for a person who's had them for a couple hundred miles or they're complaining of wear after 20k-30k miles, its hard to what is reality. I've read nearly every post on here about tires and there are various opinions but most seem to be based on research and not on actual experience.

Does anyone have real world experience with these tires? I'm not an aggressive driver, will occasionally take the car up into the mountains on dirt or snow covered roads but nothing that would approach serious off roading. It may be a pipe dream but am looking to get close to if not the rated mileage on the tires.

Thanks!
Like all big item purchases comparing the specs on tires is very helpful for making a right decision. Based on specs here for 225/55R19 tires:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

the 3 tires you have in mind are pretty good choices.

General AltiMAX RT43 is my top choice because its superior specs such as light weight、high UTQG、51 psi maximum inflation pressure. It also has excellent reviews and good price. Many members have chosen it and they seem to all like it. In the real world experience I have RT43 tires on my 1998 Honda CR-V for about 25K miles and they're the best tires I've ever put on meeting all expectations! The characteristic of sofer ride and the lightest weight in this size at 24.4 lbs is matched nicely to our CX-5 GT's firmer suspension IMO.

Continental TrueContact for this size is actually very similar in specs to RT43 (not the same between the two for 225/65R17).

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus wouldn't be my choice as it has 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. It's also heavier at 28 lbs and a little more expensive.

Michelin Premier LTX someone else mentioned is the most expensive tire as usual other than OE Toyo A23. I won't choose it for the same reason like P7 as it has 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. It's also heavier at 27.34 lbs.

Since you don't have to use the max inflation pressure, why does it matter?
The reason is twofold.

Firstly most 225/55R19 tires have load rating at 99 which means 1,709 lbs. maximum load. The maximum load is achieved at maximum inflation pressure. OE Toyo A23 has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure and 36 psi is the recommended tire pressure for the best wear and performance on the CX-5. When we have a set of tires with 44 psi maximum inflation pressure and 36 psi can't be the optimal tire pressure like OE spec tires as it'll handle more load at 36 psi. Making tires with 44 MIP to carry about 900 lbs. at each corner on CX-5 with recommended 36 psi should be a little overinflated to carry the same 900 lbs than tires with 51 MIP.

Secondly, a tire can handle higher maximum inflation pressure is definitely designed newer and stronger.

That's why I believe choosing a tire with higher maximum inflation pressure is important too.

For cx5 owners a tire with superior handling characteristics is safer than a tire with a higher psi rating but inferior handling. Few, if any, will encounter the limits of the tires load rating which should well exceed the load rating of the vehicle as a whole.

For cx5 owners a tire with superior handling characteristics is safer than a tire with a higher psi rating but inferior handling. Few, if any, will encounter the limits of the tires load rating which should well exceed the load rating of the vehicle as a whole.
OE Toyo A23 225/55R19 99V on CX-5 GT has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure and Mazda recommends 36 psi tire pressure. OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H on CX-5 Touring / Sport has 44 psi maximum inflation pressure and Mazda recommends 34 psi tire pressure. IMO the difference of tire pressure recommendation is caused by the different specs of maximum inflation pressure.

The higher the tire pressure the more weight the tire can carry. Load index is the same at 99, 1,709 lbs., but it happens at different tire pressure of their maximum allowed value. When both specs of tires have the same tire pressure at 36 psi, the contact patch would be different when the same weight, about 900 lbs. on CX-5, applied to the tires. It has nothing to do with handling of these two tires, but has everything to do with matching the factory tire specs and the recommended tire pressure.

When we have 35 psi maximum inflation pressure P-Metric tires, Europe offered 44 psi MIP tires. Now we have 44 psi or 51 psi MIP tires and Europe has 60 or 65 psi tires. Higher maximum inflation pressure tires generally are more efficient with the same load index, but harder to design and manufacture.

OE Toyo A23 225/55R19 99V on CX-5 GT has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure and Mazda recommends 36 psi tire pressure. OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H on CX-5 Touring / Sport has 44 psi maximum inflation pressure and Mazda recommends 34 psi tire pressure. IMO the difference of tire pressure recommendation is caused by the different specs of maximum inflation pressure.

The higher the tire pressure the more weight the tire can carry. Load index is the same at 99, 1,709 lbs., but it happens at different tire pressure of their maximum allowed value. When both specs of tires have the same tire pressure at 36 psi, the contact patch would be different when the same weight, about 900 lbs. on CX-5, applied to the tires. It has nothing to do with handling of these two tires, but has everything to do with matching the factory tire specs and the recommended tire pressure.

When we have 35 psi maximum inflation pressure P-Metric tires, Europe offered 44 psi MIP tires. Now we have 44 psi or 51 psi MIP tires and Europe has 60 or 65 psi tires. Higher maximum inflation pressure tires generally are more efficient with the same load index, but harder to design and manufacture.

My point is that typical CUV owners will never encounter load limits and should base their decision on handling characteristics. If this were a work truck hauling substantial weight around everyday, and where handling is a secondary concern, then yes, load limits should be paid closer attention.

Also, "IMO the difference of tire pressure recommendation is caused by the different specs of maximum inflation pressure." could simply be the result of being a higher sidewall profile tire or some other different combination of factors. They are entirely different tires made by different companies.

I don't really get the obsession with max tire pressure. Any of the recommended tires will handle the typical use load fine. If safety is the issue, go with what handles best, not what carries a theoretical load that far exceeds what the vehicle is rated for.

IMO, the higher max pressure tires are probably meant for heavier vehicles/light trucks. "Extra Duty" in tire parlance. "Extra Duty" tires are not known for being the best in handling because that's not their design case. The Toyo's are interesting case though, it could be they're adapted from such a design.

I don't really get the obsession with max tire pressure. Any of the recommended tires will handle the typical use load fine. If safety is the issue, go with what handles best, not what carries a theoretical load that far exceeds what the vehicle is rated for.

Amen!

No Michelin Premiere? I just put those on and they are fantastic. Far less road noise and less high frequency vibrations transmitted to cabin (means less rattles) - but still great handling.

This is what I plan to replace the Toyo's with when the time comes.

Also, for the people squabbling about max tire pressure. You won't inflate that high, as Mazda recommends 35, and as long tire tire has a equal or better load rating you're fine. For example on TireRack it'll filter for tires that meet or exceed the requirements and have the proper size. I find the matching speed rating on the Michelins to be a good reason to go with that tire actually. Plus it gets awesome ratings from both Tire Racks professional testing plus user ratings. In tires you definitely get what you pay for. The premier is also designed to maintain it's water evacuation (thus wet traction) better as it wears. All that being said the Continental and Pirelli options are also quality tires which I'm sure would be more than fine. The biggest gripe I have with Pirelli, from personal experience, is that their sipes don't run deep so you loose the snow traction pretty fast.

I have the Michelin Premiere and they are excellent. I don't if my Toyo's had hardened a lot by the end, but the noise reduction is dramatic. They also retain sharp handling, something most CUV tires don't aim for.

For tire pressure I never go beyond +/- 1 psi for what the manual or door jam sticker says. I ditched those A36 for 250 loonies/set with less than 300km on it and got myself a set of 19" Altimax RT43 for 770 loonies+tax.

I was actually thinking about just replacing my Toyo's too with the Michelin Premiers before they even wear out. A buddy of mine did that with his Outback that came with some Bridgestone OE garbage and notice da huge difference. They really are a great tire and pretty much better in every way. I also plan to get a winter tire/wheel setup as well so we'll see.

I have the Michelin Premiere and they are excellent. I don't if my Toyo's had hardened a lot by the end, but the noise reduction is dramatic. They also retain sharp handling, something most CUV tires don't aim for.

Smart if you go too much higher you're actually more likely to damage the tire if you hit a pothole or something. Actual engineering when into that PSI recommendation.

Back