CX5 GT Replacement Tire Experience

My point is that typical CUV owners will never encounter load limits and should base their decision on handling characteristics. If this were a work truck hauling substantial weight around everyday, and where handling is a secondary concern, then yes, load limits should be paid closer attention.

Also, "IMO the difference of tire pressure recommendation is caused by the different specs of maximum inflation pressure." could simply be the result of being a higher sidewall profile tire or some other different combination of factors. They are entirely different tires made by different companies.

I don't really get the obsession with max tire pressure. Any of the recommended tires will handle the typical use load fine. If safety is the issue, go with what handles best, not what carries a theoretical load that far exceeds what the vehicle is rated for.

IMO, the higher max pressure tires are probably meant for heavier vehicles/light trucks. "Extra Duty" in tire parlance. "Extra Duty" tires are not known for being the best in handling because that's not their design case. The Toyo's are interesting case though, it could be they're adapted from such a design.
We're talking apples to oranges. I didn't say 44 psi maximum inflation pressure tires are having the tire pressure or load limit issues although I prefer more safety margin on tire pressure range. There won't be much handling issue either as we normally put same recommended tire pressure for the tires we use. I was saying getting 51 psi MIP tires is better to match OE tire specs and recommended tire pressure (foot print), and it also usually means the tire is better designed (lighter weight but stronger) with higher inflation pressure spec for the same load index (durability and safety margin).

If you check the comparison table I created for 225/55R19 tires, 10 out of 13 tires have 51 psi maximum inflation pressure with the same 99 load index and most of them are standard "Grand Touring" tires and none of them is "Extra Duty" truck tire. Nitto NT421Q has 103 load index and 50 psi maximum inflation pressure. Only Michelin Premier LTX and Pirelli Cinturato P7 carry 44 psi maximum inflation pressure.

I think you guy are mis-understanding how matching the OE specifications should work. You want to match the size, speed, and load rating. This is also evidenced by the fact that if you go to TireRack, Discount Tire, or even a tire manufacturer site and search for tires you can filter by size, speed rating, and load rating but not max tire inflation. FWIW the Toyo's are V rated and the General and Pirelli that have the higher max inflation are not. The Michelin however does have a speed rating of V. IMO that's something that's more important to pay attention to as it deals with how much heat the tire can handle which does have a safety impact. I really don't think that this car is even close to pushing the max load rating of these tires.

Load rating of 99 is 1709 lbs. This car weighs 3655 total for the GT AWD. If we figure 60% on the front axle (it's probably a little less) that's 1096.5 per tire. I'd say we have some breathing room there.

Load rating of 99 is 1709 lbs. This car weighs 3655 total for the GT AWD. If we figure 60% on the front axle (it's probably a little less) that's 1096.5 per tire. I'd say we have some breathing room there.

I think max cargo is spec'd at 800 lbs too. The suspension will give out well before the tires. This just isn't an issue. Something to vamp on and on about...

Last edited:
The reason is twofold.

Firstly most 225/55R19 tires have load rating at 99 which means 1,709 lbs. maximum load. The maximum load is achieved at maximum inflation pressure. OE Toyo A23 has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure and 36 psi is the recommended tire pressure for the best wear and performance on the CX-5. When we have a set of tires with 44 psi maximum inflation pressure and 36 psi can't be the optimal tire pressure like OE spec tires as it'll handle more load at 36 psi. Making tires with 44 MIP to carry about 900 lbs. at each corner on CX-5 with recommended 36 psi should be a little overinflated to carry the same 900 lbs than tires with 51 MIP.

Secondly, a tire can handle higher maximum inflation pressure is definitely designed newer and stronger.

That's why I believe choosing a tire with higher maximum inflation pressure is important too.

The Placard pressure only applies to the OEM tires, anyway. If the optimum pressure for a different tire is different, change to it. It almost certainly will be.

Last edited:
When you slam on the brakes and turn the wheel sharply to avoid hitting someone who just pulled into your lane as I had happen to me, almost the total vehicle weight can end up on the outside front tire. I was on a rough dry concrete highway with great traction which pulled the tire off the rim and it deflated. Trying to recover from a quick lane change with a deflated front tire sent me into a spin and I spun up the side of three cars. My Miata was totaled with only the driver door and trunk not bent. I put the spare on and drove it home, the AC still worked and I had no leaking fluids. Now I try to run a couple of extra pounds of air in my tires...

I replaced my stock toyos at almost exactly 20k with Continentals.

Have 5k on them so far and I'm definitely much happier with them over the stocks. Fuel economy has improved quite a bit as well.

I had a set of General Altimax tires on a Subaru Outback wagon back around 2008 or 09. Decent tires but wore too quickly in my opinion. This could be completely different these days obviously.

I want to replace two tires on my 15 Camry
These are my first choice based on discussions here : General Altimax RT43 Radial Tire - 215/55R17 94V. They are 100ish vs 190 for the Michelins that were on the Camry (eek2) have 65K warranty and load / speed rating seems satisfactory.
My tire shop doesnt like these. Says that they suck on a Camry and maybe are good on Mazda. Dont know what he meant.
Are Altimax RT43 recommended for sedans as well or you like them for Mazda but wont put them on other sedans etc?

Just changed out the wheels on my wife's CX5 with 19x8.5" KMC District wheels. I was going to use the same stock tires since there is barely any miles on them but the stock Toyo 225/55/19s wouldn't fit on the 8.5" wheels. So went with Yokohama YK470 GTX 235/55/19s. Wider tire and more grip and no loss of fuel mileage. Great tire so far. 60k tread wear warranty and 740 tw rating.

cx5 new wheels pic.JPG

Back