CX-9 extremely low frequency sound; "infrasound" NVH issue

:
cx9
I'll preface this with a disclaimer that I'm overall happy with this vehicle. On to my gripe.

Occasionally I will notice a noise that bugs me, I suspect below 20hz. Its almost like a wind buffeting effect but I notice it at idle when not moving. Anybody else noticed this with their CX9? Any recommendations on how to get rid of this? Anybody? Anybody? Dave Colman?

2017 model, I don't know if its just an issue with my ears being overly sensitive or what.. I'll try to get some other people in there while I am noticing it and see what they say.

hi Forties,
that is very weird, usually those kind of sounds are made by air noice , heavy moving air like a big bass... that's why woofers are so big. I have not heard this on mine very weird. ill let u kow if I hear something like it .
G

hi, a newbie here. Anyone else has the same experience as this and know how to fix it? My cx9 is just 2 months old. I've been coming back to the Dealer, but they cannot fault it and they're saying it "could" be normal with Turbo. Mine makes this annoying low frequency/bass/subwoofer-like noise @ around 900-1100 rpm. We took a test drive on other CX9 Limited and it did make this noise a little but not as bad as mine. However, my CX9 is GSX ie. not Limited. If anyone has any answer to this please? Thanks.

Uhg, I'm sorry you are also experiencing this noise, but kind of a relief to know I'm not crazy.. I've got a 17 base model.

I did some checking and here's an update for anybody interested.

This noise is a non-issue for most people I asked. However the vibration/noise/whatever you want to call it, it makes me feel uncomfortable and I hate it. Like it messes with my inner ear or something. And background on the ears.. I've put them through a wide of vehicles from scooters to big motorcycles, sports cars to huge commercial trucks. Everything in between. Never had this.

This issue so far is only an idle speed issue for me. When the engine is at cruise or accel rpm it doesn't happen.

The intensity of the noise depends on the particular combination of window/door openings at the moment. The passenger side rear window open seems to have the biggest effect on mine.

Its got to be either an exhaust pulse thing or a chassis vibration thing. Maybe some different exhaust tips, or exits pointed a different direction would help. Or 50 more idle rpm may stop it... For now I'm alright just manipulating the window/door openings when idling to avoid feeling nauseated and its working out alright.

If I come up with a better fix I'll post it. Car still drives great, great fuel economy, this minor issue is my #1 problem with it so far...

Back