How to Maintain Sparkplugs CX-5 Skyactiv (Video)

How to Maintain Cleaner Sparkplugs CX-5 Skyactiv (Video)

Hi all , just want to share my short video on Minor tune up on my CX5 .

Odo reading at 21xxxkms

Please follow my channel for more videos to come . Thank you for your support. Enjoy

Last edited:
good video, just a suggestion, maybe check the spark plug gap before re-installing ? I believe it's .042 / .043 (not sure, maybe someone can confirm)

Did not watch it yet, but not all plugs are re-gappable. One can't just go and yank the node to change gap size, for iridium ones for sure.

Did not watch it yet, but not all plugs are re-gappable. One can't just go and yank the node to change gap size, for iridium ones for sure.

This holds true for these plugs as well. DO NOT USE A ROUND COIN STYLE GAPPING TOOL

There is an iridium pad attached to the underside of the ground electrode. Using the wrong method, or the wrong gapping tool can disturb or destroy the iridium / platinum pad.

kh-iridium-spark-plug.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
If your going to bother removing them you may as well replace them. They are like $7 a pop. Otherwise a nylon brush and gas to clean. Any metal object could easily scrub the contact material.

Per 2.0 liter out of the service manual, can't imagine why it wouldn't hold true for 2.5 liter:

2013 - CX-5 - Engine
SPARK PLUG INSPECTION [SKYACTIV-G 2.0]
Specification
Spark plug type
PE01-18-110, PE02-18-110, PE5R-18-110, PE5S-18-110
Plug Gap Inspection
CAUTION:
1. To avoid possible damage to the tip, do not adjust the plug gap.
2. To prevent damaging the tip, use a wire type plug gap gauge when inspecting the plug
gap.
1. Measure the spark plug gap using a wire type plug gap gauge.
1. If not within the standard specification, replace the spark plug.
Spark plug gap (PE01-18-110, PE02-18-110)
Standard: 0.751.10 mm {0.0300.043 in}
New spark plug (reference): 0.750.85 mm {0.0300.033 in}
Spark plug gap (PE5R-18-110, PE5S-18-110)
Standard: 1.051.40 mm {0.04140.0551 in}
New spark plug (reference): 1.051.15 mm {0.04140.0452 in}

Soo...why are we going to the trouble of cleaning plugs at some unspecified mileage when Mazda's only recommendation regarding plugs is to replace them at 75k miles? Is this an Indonesian thing or something?

Thanks for video. I'll be replacing mine at 75K miles. Those plugs were quite clean.

Remember as well when you use anti-seize factory torque specs should be reduced. I can't remember the exact number offhand... it is something like 25% or so less. FSM would be listing dry torque ratings.

Somewhere on this forum some one said that anti-seize shouldn't be used, maybe specifically for new plugs. I also don't see the point in cleaning these. My other CX5 was at 70k and ran damn good. Appreciate the video though.

In some part of asia country like indonesia as you guys may not aware our road weather condition and fuel mixture ron rating they sell here are not that good compare with overseas market. There fore doing this will maximise the longevity of the sparkplugs and the car it self. Plus the spareparts for mazda in our country are very expensive due to import tax an stuff.

Good point, it's easy for a westerner to over look those things.
The "plain jane" model cx5 starts at 37 grand USD there..

Oops accidentally "deleted ".
felixd*said:Today*08:13 PM

In some part of asia country like indonesia as you guys may not aware our road weather condition and fuel mixture ron rating they sell here are not that good compare with overseas market. There fore doing this will maximise the longevity of the sparkplugs and the car it self. Plus the spareparts for mazda in our country are very expensive due to import tax and stuff.

Oops accidentally "deleted ".
felixd*said:Today*08:13 PM

In some part of asia country like indonesia as you guys may not aware our road weather condition and fuel mixture ron rating they sell here are not that good compare with overseas market. There fore doing this will maximise the longevity of the sparkplugs and the car it self. Plus the spareparts for mazda in our country are very expensive due to import tax and stuff.
Are you guys Euro 4 standard on fuel?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

If your going to bother removing them you may as well replace them. They are like $7 a pop. Otherwise a nylon brush and gas to clean. Any metal object could easily scrub the contact material.

Agree, might as well replace with new if it's only $7 each, are the OEM spark plugs made by Denso p/n (4711) IXEH20TT ?
they are $6.99 on Amazon the NGK don't look like the OEM's at all

dealer wants $30 each for Mazda p/n PE01-18-110 !!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

for those interested, found this link for a 14mm magnetic socket to use for these Denso's

http://forums.nicoclub.com/denso-spark-plug-14-mm-socket-t593817.html

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/14mm-deep-well-spark-plug-socket-3-8-drive/001247sch01a/

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

online guide says "OEM parts which are the NGK (94124) ILKAR7L11 iridium spark plugs" but I don't think this is correct.....

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Mazda-CX-5-Skyactiv-G-Engine-Spark-Plugs-Replacement-Guide/

Last edited:
Last edited:
Champion, NGK, et al say to NOT use antiseize. The plug threads are coated with a metal film that won't seize to the cylinder head.

Back