Standard Oil vs Full synthetic? Mazda offers both?

You can get 5W-30 in synthetic...
Yes, you can. But since there're also plenty of conventional and blend 5W-30 oil available, Mazda dealers will use them for oil change on these CX-9's like cubanomx's situation. Especially Mazda itself has an OEM Mazda 5W-30 oil which is not full synthetic, and dealers would claim it's the "approved" oil as it has Mazda's name on it!

⋯ Clearly the engine can run fine on either. MPG changes are about the only thing to expect.
So in your opinion you don't think our SA-G engine is designed for running only thinner 0W-20 oil with very fine tolerances as stated by Anchorman in post #12?

So in your opinion you don't think our SA-G engine is designed for running only thinner 0W-20 oil with very fine tolerances as stated by Anchorman in post #12?

If this was the case they would not recommend other oils in other countries.

also his post does not say that

Last edited:
Yes, you can. But since there're also plenty of conventional and blend 5W-30 oil available, Mazda dealers will use them for oil change on these CX-9's like cubanomx's situation. Especially Mazda itself has an OEM Mazda 5W-30 oil which is not full synthetic, and dealers would claim it's the "approved" oil as it has Mazda's name on it!

And? The only difference is you'll have to get it changed more often. The dealers like that.

And? The only difference is you'll have to get it changed more often. The dealers like that.

At least this is not the case of Mexico. I go to the dealer on March when I had 8000km on the odometer. They send me home and recommend to return at 10,000km. Today, 6 months later, I performed the oil change.

I have today 9200km on the odometer after one year with my cx9. Here we need to make maintenance mandatory in the dealer or Mazda express shop every 10k (+/- 10%) if you want to keep warrany or extended warranty.

Last edited:
dang, all this talk and now I really wanna know what they put into my CX5. Of course depending how honest your dealer is, they could still lie to you.

Standard7 Oil vs Full synthetic? Mazda offers both?

dang, all this talk and now I really wanna know what they put into my CX5. Of course depending how honest your dealer is, they could still lie to you.
Yeah could be anything, such as this from my Mazda dealer:

OSIGGNLxmee7MGaAeTzrpIIpNnnH5-IzifeWCM7jY2iTSI6QSDhXsq0Z2CMppQ1Y4WsLVrRXoKOOhQ=w1024-h600-no

At least this is not the case of Mexico. I go to the dealer on March when I had 8000km on the odometer. They send me home and recommend to return at 10,000km. Today, 6 months later, I performed the oil change.

I have today 9200km on the odometer after one year with my cx9. Here we need to make maintenance mandatory in the dealer or Mazda express shop every 10k (+/- 10%) if you want to keep warrany or extended warranty.

Perhaps they specify a cheaper oil knowing that you'll have to return frequently.

Back