Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2018 Camry Compared to Mazda6

Donated: $20

'93 RX-7, '91 RX7, '03.5 MSP, '02 P5, '01 Miata, '99 Miata etc

Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    the 2jz is extremely heavy and a piece of garbage unless it is turboed. great engine for a 1990's design or for people that want 800hp, which is less then 1% if the population. I still think that mazdas average, mainstream motors beat out toyotas especially now that toyota is partnering with mazda to use their engine tech...

the civic type r is very fast around a track and handles great. try driving one an looking at it in person, you will love it.
    LOL, Put down the crack-pipe. Ask JD Powers or Nascar or WRC or F1 or your local mechanic who makes better engines. The Rotary was unique powerful, quirky, and won LeMans. It set Mazda apart. Skyactive is a marketing ploy that took over when Zoom Zoom finally went away.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast GJ-Molestor's Avatar

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6

Quote Originally Posted by Natey View Post
    LOL, Put down the crack-pipe. Ask JD Powers or Nascar or WRC or F1 or your local mechanic who makes better engines. The Rotary was unique powerful, quirky, and won LeMans. It set Mazda apart. Skyactive is a marketing ploy that took over when Zoom Zoom finally went away.
    2015 Camry VS 2015 Mazda 6.

172 ft/lb at 4000rpm (bleh) vs 185 at 3250 in the Mazda.

So not only is the Camry slower then the Mazda, but it gets 4mpg less on the highway and 1mpg less city.

I know overall, Toyota is the better and more resourceful engine maker, but Mazdas engine designs are heavily underrated when comparing apples to apples.

I wouldnít really call the skyactiv term a marketing ploy, if you read up on it on their website, the tech employed is impressive and functional

Registered Member

2006 Mazda 6

I wouldnít really call the skyactiv term a marketing ploy, if you read up on it on their website, the tech employed is impressive and functional
    The term skyactiv is a marketing ploy (and not a greatly named one at that) but like you said, the technology they use is pretty interesting.

Remember, too, that when they came out with these engines in 2011 or 2012 the cost of gas was very high and these engines gave Mazda some of the best fuel economy numbers in the business. It was the 1st time I ever remember Mazda being better at fuel efficiency than Honda and some of the other large car companies.

Sure, several years later the others have caught up. Maybe the new skyactiv-x will push Mazda back to the technological forefront again. Who knows? But it's been fun to watch as Mazda is such a small player and they've been kicking tail with some seriously good engineering.

Wish I could say something intelligent about the new Camry but I've not seen one in person yet.

Quote Originally Posted by barryso View Post
    The term skyactiv is a marketing ploy (and not a greatly named one at that) but like you said, the technology they use is pretty interesting.

Remember, too, that when they came out with these engines in 2011 or 2012 the cost of gas was very high and these engines gave Mazda some of the best fuel economy numbers in the business. It was the 1st time I ever remember Mazda being better at fuel efficiency than Honda and some of the other large car companies.

Sure, several years later the others have caught up. Maybe the new skyactiv-x will push Mazda back to the technological forefront again. Who knows? But it's been fun to watch as Mazda is such a small player and they've been kicking tail with some seriously good engineering.

Wish I could say something intelligent about the new Camry but I've not seen one in person yet.
    Honda's 2.4L and Toyota's equivalent 2.5L has not done any sort of catching up that I can see. the current skyactiv 2.5L is plenty competitive in terms of operation manners and power delivery alone.

the Skyactiv-X is going to shame every single engine manufacturer for many years to come. it has been thought as being impossible to bring to a mass market, up until now...

US Specs in Europe boandlkramer's Avatar

'17 CX-5 GT AWD; BMW M4

2018 Camry Compared to Mazda6

Last edited by boandlkramer; 10-21-2017 at 04:34 AM.
    -1989 BMW 528i (euro specs) Green
    -1996 Mazda 626 Red
    -1997 Honda Civic DX Blue
    -1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee White
    -1997 Chrysler Sebring 'vert Champaigne
    -2002 Dodge Neon Silver
    -2004 Land Rover Freelander HSE Silver
    -2008 Toyota Camry Champaigne
    -2009 BMW 328i Space Gray
    -2014 CX-5 Sport, Black (RIP Apr '15)
    *2015 BMW ///M4 Austin Yellow
    -2016 CX-5 Touring, Soul Red, Bose/Tech, PDC (Sold)
    *2017 CX-5 GT Soul Red Premium

Quote Originally Posted by boandlkramer View Post
    Honda’s 2018 accord is ugly. I hate to say it, but I think the most recent camry looks better. I just can’t stand the rear three quarter proportions of the new accord

US Specs in Europe boandlkramer's Avatar

'17 CX-5 GT AWD; BMW M4

Honda’s 2018 accord is ugly. I hate to say it, but I think the most recent camry looks better. I just can’t stand the rear three quarter proportions of the new accord
    I don’t entirely disagree with you.

Either way...I have time probably two more years before I sell my M4. Time to grow up eventually.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by boandlkramer View Post
    I don’t entirely disagree with you.

Either way...I have time probably two more years before I sell my M4. Time to grow up eventually.
    True, I generally see younger buyers in M4ís but that doesnít mean you canít hold onto the car if you enjoy it, lol.

The next generation Mazda 6 is supposedly going to be RWD. If it indeed will be, I will buy one as replacement for my current Mazda 6 once itís out of service. I have high hopes for this new generation Mazda, because many of the cars coming out recently have been genuinely ugly and overstyled.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

--- snip ---

the civic type r is very fast around a track and handles great. try driving one an looking at it in person, you will love it.
    So you've taken a brand new Type R around a race track? I find that very hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    So you've taken a brand new Type R around a race track? I find that very hard to believe.
    It outran the m4 around the Nurburgring And has received praise from every journalist, so Iíll take their word on it.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

It outran the m4 around the Nurburgring And has received praise from every journalist, so Iíll take their word on it.
    That's fine and dandy, but you shouldn't make statements that sound like you've driven things when you haven't. Its poor form.

Registered Member

Mazda 6s GT

Back to topic...I found the following article on reliability interesting.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-survey/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123