2018 Camry Compared to Mazda6

I've never driven the 6, or even sat in the driver's seat but I got a chance to in the new Camry. I'm kind of long on the torso, but only 6' tall, and my head was firmly placed in the roof. It had the panoramic roof so that may have contributed to it but there's no way a big guy is going to fit without some serious contortion and declination in the seat. I think I could probably do it but I'd have to want that car a lot more than I do. It's a pretty tiny cabin too, or at least it felt tiny to me. I would call it comfortable for the little bit of time I sat in it.

Unless there's some significant difference when they don't have the panoramic roof guys built like me are going to have to look elsewhere.

I've never driven the 6, or even sat in the driver's seat but I got a chance to in the new Camry. I'm kind of long on the torso, but only 6' tall, and my head was firmly placed in the roof. It had the panoramic roof so that may have contributed to it but there's no way a big guy is going to fit without some serious contortion and declination in the seat. I think I could probably do it but I'd have to want that car a lot more than I do. It's a pretty tiny cabin too, or at least it felt tiny to me. I would call it comfortable for the little bit of time I sat in it.

Unless there's some significant difference when they don't have the panoramic roof guys built like me are going to have to look elsewhere.

Are you sure the seat was lowered? I'm 6'3 but i fit in just about any car if the seat is to the floor. I fit in the Mazda 6 comfortably, but the manual seat adjustment is better then the electric one because you can go even lower.

Are you sure the seat was lowered? I'm 6'3 but i fit in just about any car if the seat is to the floor. I fit in the Mazda 6 comfortably, but the manual seat adjustment is better then the electric one because you can go even lower.

Um, push the height button in the down direction until it don't go no more? You might be right about the manual, I don't know.

People never believe I have this problem on the internet. It was the same thing with the Accord Hybrid but it was better there. Still couldn't buy it with a moonroof though. The 6 is actually 38.4" with the moonroof so that would probably be enough, just barely.

The Camry only has 37.5" with the moonroof. There's no chance it could work.

Well, I took a look at the new Camry today. Did not test drive it though.
A few thoughts: I'm 6'3", and my head grazed the roof in the showroom car (it had a moonroof).
On the plus side, I sat in the back, and there was a surprising amount of leg and even headroom.
On the down side, I just couldn't get past the front end, or the curvy interior.
I think Toyota went a bit too far with the redesign.
I brought home a pamphlet to show my wife, and she just looked at the cover with the picture of the front of the car on it,
and said she wouldn't be caught dead driving a car that looked like that.
End of discussion.

Well, I took a look at the new Camry today. Did not test drive it though.
A few thoughts: I'm 6'3", and my head grazed the roof in the showroom car (it had a moonroof).
On the plus side, I sat in the back, and there was a surprising amount of leg and even headroom.
On the down side, I just couldn't get past the front end, or the curvy interior.
I think Toyota went a bit too far with the redesign.
I brought home a pamphlet to show my wife, and she just looked at the cover with the picture of the front of the car on it,
and said she wouldn't be caught dead driving a car that looked like that.
End of discussion.

Lol, I couldnt agree with you more. The redesign is truly hideous and Im not a fan of the new accord either. I look forward to see the release of the new Mazda 6 especially with the awesome new engine tech theyve introduced.

i saw the new camry, not a bad design in person at all. hated it in pics, thought it looked good in person.

I will admit that for the relatively healthy output of 200hp from the 4 cyl, it is slow.

Looks like an oversized Corolla which sucks, IMO.

For a company that makes the best engines in Japan, they really have some ugly, weird cars lately. The Fit or a truck/SUV is about the only Toyota that appeals to me. Honda is doing it too. I'm sure you guys have seen the Civic TypeR? Geez, what a monstrosity.

Looks like an oversized Corolla which sucks, IMO.

For a company that makes the best engines in Japan, they really have some ugly, weird cars lately. The Fit or a truck/SUV is about the only Toyota that appeals to me. Honda is doing it too. I'm sure you guys have seen the Civic TypeR? Geez, what a monstrosity.

the new civic type R actually looks quite good in person. it handles amazing, so ill let its childish boy racer looks slide.

toyota is not the best engine maker in japan. Mazda is with their skyactiv-x motor design, and even before the HCCI came out I would still give mazda that honour based on their skyactiv G 2.5L and sequential turbo 2.2 diesel alone. excellent motors, and toyota already builds good engines to begin with.

I saw some sort of sport camry in person with black paint and red leather and it was very,very nice for an "economy" car.

2JZ enough said.

I know you love Mazda, but there's no denying.

and screw that Civic transformer contraption.

Last edited:
2JZ enough said.

I know you love Mazda, but there's no denying.

and screw that Civic transformer contraption.

the 2jz is extremely heavy and a piece of garbage unless it is turboed. great engine for a 1990's design or for people that want 800hp, which is less then 1% if the population. I still think that mazdas average, mainstream motors beat out toyotas especially now that toyota is partnering with mazda to use their engine tech...

the civic type r is very fast around a track and handles great. try driving one an looking at it in person, you will love it.

the 2jz is extremely heavy and a piece of garbage unless it is turboed. great engine for a 1990's design or for people that want 800hp, which is less then 1% if the population. I still think that mazdas average, mainstream motors beat out toyotas especially now that toyota is partnering with mazda to use their engine tech...

the civic type r is very fast around a track and handles great. try driving one an looking at it in person, you will love it.

LOL, Put down the crack-pipe. Ask JD Powers or Nascar or WRC or F1 or your local mechanic who makes better engines. The Rotary was unique powerful, quirky, and won LeMans. It set Mazda apart. Skyactive is a marketing ploy that took over when Zoom Zoom finally went away.

LOL, Put down the crack-pipe. Ask JD Powers or Nascar or WRC or F1 or your local mechanic who makes better engines. The Rotary was unique powerful, quirky, and won LeMans. It set Mazda apart. Skyactive is a marketing ploy that took over when Zoom Zoom finally went away.

2015 Camry VS 2015 Mazda 6.

172 ft/lb at 4000rpm (bleh) vs 185 at 3250 in the Mazda.

So not only is the Camry slower then the Mazda, but it gets 4mpg less on the highway and 1mpg less city.

I know overall, Toyota is the better and more resourceful engine maker, but Mazdas engine designs are heavily underrated when comparing apples to apples.

I wouldnt really call the skyactiv term a marketing ploy, if you read up on it on their website, the tech employed is impressive and functional

I wouldnt really call the skyactiv term a marketing ploy, if you read up on it on their website, the tech employed is impressive and functional

The term skyactiv is a marketing ploy (and not a greatly named one at that) but like you said, the technology they use is pretty interesting.

Remember, too, that when they came out with these engines in 2011 or 2012 the cost of gas was very high and these engines gave Mazda some of the best fuel economy numbers in the business. It was the 1st time I ever remember Mazda being better at fuel efficiency than Honda and some of the other large car companies.

Sure, several years later the others have caught up. Maybe the new skyactiv-x will push Mazda back to the technological forefront again. Who knows? But it's been fun to watch as Mazda is such a small player and they've been kicking tail with some seriously good engineering.

Wish I could say something intelligent about the new Camry but I've not seen one in person yet.

The term skyactiv is a marketing ploy (and not a greatly named one at that) but like you said, the technology they use is pretty interesting.

Remember, too, that when they came out with these engines in 2011 or 2012 the cost of gas was very high and these engines gave Mazda some of the best fuel economy numbers in the business. It was the 1st time I ever remember Mazda being better at fuel efficiency than Honda and some of the other large car companies.

Sure, several years later the others have caught up. Maybe the new skyactiv-x will push Mazda back to the technological forefront again. Who knows? But it's been fun to watch as Mazda is such a small player and they've been kicking tail with some seriously good engineering.

Wish I could say something intelligent about the new Camry but I've not seen one in person yet.

Honda's 2.4L and Toyota's equivalent 2.5L has not done any sort of catching up that I can see. the current skyactiv 2.5L is plenty competitive in terms of operation manners and power delivery alone.

the Skyactiv-X is going to shame every single engine manufacturer for many years to come. it has been thought as being impossible to bring to a mass market, up until now...

Honda’s 2018 Accord has HUD....

2734484e9780aeb860048156d01883a6.jpg

Brochure: https://automobiles.honda.com/-/med...res/2018/MY18-Full-Line-Wave-2-Model-Site.pdf

http://www.motortrend.com/news/how-...9ea016504d3015aa0aa6539&utm_medium&utm_source

Last edited:
Honda’s 2018 accord is ugly. I hate to say it, but I think the most recent camry looks better. I just can’t stand the rear three quarter proportions of the new accord

I don’t entirely disagree with you.

Either way...I have time probably two more years before I sell my M4. Time to grow up eventually. [emoji23]

I don’t entirely disagree with you.

Either way...I have time probably two more years before I sell my M4. Time to grow up eventually. [emoji23]

True, I generally see younger buyers in M4s but that doesnt mean you cant hold onto the car if you enjoy it, lol.

The next generation Mazda 6 is supposedly going to be RWD. If it indeed will be, I will buy one as replacement for my current Mazda 6 once its out of service. I have high hopes for this new generation Mazda, because many of the cars coming out recently have been genuinely ugly and overstyled.

Back