Mud flaps? Pics? Yay? Ney?

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
Who has 'em? Can I see some pics with them? Do they help keep the car cleaner? Recommend or no?

They protect the paint more than anything...I had them on my previous car.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Rokblokz on mine. $90 on their website.
4d08df6d4371c599a1f35520bb7a5ad8.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yay if you need it, ney if you don't. I still maintain that the CX-5 is a city car and mud flaps would look "off" on it. However if you drive off-road often, then yeah it makes sense.

I admit I'm nitpicking here, but all I think about when I see wide mud flaps like the one shown in this thread, is how the MPGs will be affected because of increased drag at highway speeds.

Yay if you need it, ney if you don't. I still maintain that the CX-5 is a city car and mud flaps would look "off" on it. However if you drive off-road often, then yeah it makes sense.

I admit I'm nitpicking here, but all I think about when I see wide mud flaps like the one shown in this thread, is how the MPGs will be affected because of increased drag at highway speeds.
The OEM ones aren't nearly that big though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Those are the automotive equivalent of an abortion imho..i know the kids dig em but i think they're awful looking..hurt fe too..dumb. rallying? Then ok

I think they are useless on the CX5. First they look terrible from the back side.
They do nothing to protect the paint from tire debris. Both front and back, the splash from the tires hit the black plastic trim around the wheel well, and below the door, and does not touch the paint. If you look at those trim pieces, you'll see they stick out further than the sheet metal. Here are a couple pics, the back one spray pattern is real obvious. The pic of the front wheel, it's hard to see the spray, but can see it definitely does not touch the paint, no direct spray. Just dirty water swirling around while driving.
I have the GS / Touring model and the aftermarket wheels stick out about 3/8" over the stock version. The GT may have a different stance.??

flap2.jpgflap1.jpg

On a side note, why do these pics show up as a link, where others post their pic right into their text??

Last edited:
I went with the OEM because they go very well (particularly the rear) with wider/higher offset wheels. Traditional mud flaps looks out of place imo.

I went with the OEM because they go very well (particularly the rear) with wider/higher offset wheels. Traditional mud flaps looks out of place imo.

I agree. They look better with a wider offset and/or wider tires. Kinda look like dumbo ears from behind with stock wheels/set-up.

The OEM ones aren't nearly that big though.

The OEM ones are pretty narrow, which makes me wonder if those are even beneficial.

Yeah Rally Armor is making good money from the WRX crowd.

Personally they are too small as seen here and not worth the AUD $197.46 for fronts and AUD $198.46 for rears

001.jpg

002.jpg

They should provide some deflections for normal road puddles & gunk but more than likely won't do enough if you decide to go offroad a bit.

$400? They're like $120 here.

Back