First 1K - some thoughts

Been in terrible rain storms with my FWD 6 and generally had no issues but with added reassurance of my upcoming AWD, I'll be better prepared in case something comes up!

AWD only helps with traction issues. Like launching from a stop, or starting from a stop on slippery roads. It does not help the car stop better or corner faster. It allows you to get on the power earlier though when exiting a corner. Once the car is rolling, FWD is no longer hampered by traction issues and so both cars will drive similarly. In fact, most AWD cars drive like FWD cars anyway, until power is routed to the rear wheels.

A FWD car with a front limited slip differential can easily keep up with an AWD vehicle. Case in point, the Gen2 Mazdaspeed3 (FWD with LSD) was quicker at VIR than the WRX (AWD). The last global time attack competition also has a FWD Civic as the fastest car out of all competitors (AWD, RWD and FWD).

For everyday driving though, AWD is better than FWD except if the FWD model offers significantly better fuel mileage and lower purchase price. Otherwise, if you have the option to get AWD, it is generally a better option.

For everyday driving though, AWD is better than FWD except if the FWD model offers significantly better fuel mileage and lower purchase price. Otherwise, if you have the option to get AWD, it is generally a better option.

The differences in fuel consumption between FWD and AWD here are small

The differences in fuel consumption between FWD and AWD here are small

Exactly. Which is why in the case of the CX-5, if you don't mind spending another grand, the AWD version is the better pick, in my opinion.

Exactly. Which is why in the case of the CX-5, if you don't mind spending another grand, the AWD version is the better pick, in my opinion.

(iagree)

Over here, FWD is only available on base Maxx and next grade up Maxx Sport.

The rest of the range (Touring -> GT -> Akera) are only available with AWD.

First 1,200 miles. Ouch!!

Well I've been driving my new 2017 CX five for about six weeks I love the car I love some of the new features the heads up display the leather seats the commander switch. but somethings I find it rather annoying such as the lack of illuminated power window switches. Why you can't see what radio station you have tuned to on the navigation screen or on the heads up display. But nevertheless, there is always some ass Who is not paying attention when he is driving. Unfortunately I was rear-ended on the southern state parkway on New York's Long Island last Wednesday. tomorrow I bring the truck to a body shop and hopefully will have the tailgate and bumper restored as new. I have never owned a car with such little miles and it is going into the body shop at such an early stage of my ownership. Hopefully, all will work out.

Well I've been driving my new 2017 CX five for about six weeks I love the car I love some of the new features the heads up display the leather seats the commander switch. but somethings I find it rather annoying such as the lack of illuminated power window switches. Why you can't see what radio station you have tuned to on the navigation screen or on the heads up display. But nevertheless, there is always some ass Who is not paying attention when he is driving. Unfortunately I was rear-ended on the southern state parkway on New York's Long Island last Wednesday. tomorrow I bring the truck to a body shop and hopefully will have the tailgate and bumper restored as new. I have never owned a car with such little miles and it is going into the body shop at such an early stage of my ownership. Hopefully, all will work out.

So sad to hear about the accident. Hope it gets fixed quickly.

Illuminated power window switches - if you version came with auto up/down for all windows then you would get illumination.

A few weeks ago when I made the aforementioned trip to Baton Rouge and back, the drive there was uneventful (other than the despicable Houston traffic), but coming home was like driving in a hurricane - or at least a tropical storm (which is usually worse)! I hit the heaviest rain I can ever remember driving in three different times all along I-10, one of which was (of course) when I was going through downtown Houston. I hit some major water puddles on the freeway, and even though my car is fwd only, I never felt like I was going to lose control, that I was hydroplaning, or anything negative - even when hitting standing water that covered an entire lane of traffic. And I wasn't going slow, either - I was on a mission to get home! At the time it honestly crossed my mind that AWD might have been necessary to get safely through that mess - but since my car drove perfectly in spite of it all, I guess it really wasn't.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago when I made the aforementioned trip to Baton Rouge and back, the drive there was uneventful (other than the despicable Houston traffic), but coming home was like driving in a hurricane - or at least a tropical storm (which is usually worse)! I hit the heaviest rain I can ever remember driving in three different times all along I-10, one of which was (of course) when I was going through downtown Houston. I hit some major water puddles on the freeway, and even though my car is fwd only, I never felt like I was going to lose control, that I was hydroplaning, or anything negative - even when hitting standing water that covered an entire lane of traffic. And I wasn't going slow, either - I was on a mission to get home! At the time it honestly crossed my mind that AWD might have been necessary to get safely through that mess - but since my car drove perfectly in spite of it all, I guess it really wasn't.
AWD will not stop a car from hydroplaning. You're really at the mercy of the tires at that point. Where it can help is when the front tires are slipping, in that case, the rear tires get power and they can help move the car forward. When you're driving through a downpour and maintaining your speed, you're not really losing traction on the front wheels.

I figured for those of us that very rarely, if ever get snow or ice, heavy rain would be the only other condition that AWD might come into play for. If not, then I don't feel so bad about not having it.

I figured for those of us that very rarely, if ever get snow or ice, heavy rain would be the only other condition that AWD might come into play for. If not, then I don't feel so bad about not having it.
AWD would benefit you during heavy rain, when you're starting from a stop and the roads are slippery because of the rain. There was another thread on here where it was discussed, but bad weather isn't the only reason to prefer AWD over FWD. To be clear, I don't think you need AWD as tires can mitigate traction issues with FWD. It is just a preference to have AWD, at least that's the case for me, especially since the CX-5 doesn't come with a front LSD.

AWD would benefit you during heavy rain, when you're starting from a stop and the roads are slippery because of the rain. There was another thread on here where it was discussed, but bad weather isn't the only reason to prefer AWD over FWD. To be clear, I don't think you need AWD as tires can mitigate traction issues with FWD. It is just a preference to have AWD, at least that's the case for me, especially since the CX-5 doesn't come with a front LSD.

Actually heavy rain isn't the issue where spinning happens and AWD is a benefit. It's on light rain situations where vehicle fluids (like oil) create a slick on the road. Aka hydro planing.

I've driven in a crap ton of heavy rains, floods, hurricanes, and only had FWD. traction wasn't an issue in those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually heavy rain isn't the issue where spinning happens and AWD is a benefit. It's on light rain situations where vehicle fluids (like oil) create a slick on the road. Aka hydro planing.

I've driven in a crap ton of heavy rains, floods, hurricanes, and only had FWD. traction wasn't an issue in those situations.
What you're describing is just slippery road conditions. Hydroplaning is when a tire essentially floats over water because it could not disperse the water fast enough for the tire to touch the ground. Hydroplaning is an issue regardless of drivetrain (FWD, AWD, RWD). AWD helps you if you have traction issues, regardless of what the weather is. If you don't have traction issues, or you don't like the extra performance it offers, there FWD is fine for you.

Overall tire condition is also important when traveling at speed in the rain. With worn tires, it won't matter if you have FWD or AWD.

AWD only helps with traction issues. Like launching from a stop, or starting from a stop on slippery roads. It does not help the car stop better or corner faster. It allows you to get on the power earlier though when exiting a corner. Once the car is rolling, FWD is no longer hampered by traction issues and so both cars will drive similarly. In fact, most AWD cars drive like FWD cars anyway, until power is routed to the rear wheels.

A FWD car with a front limited slip differential can easily keep up with an AWD vehicle. Case in point, the Gen2 Mazdaspeed3 (FWD with LSD) was quicker at VIR than the WRX (AWD). The last global time attack competition also has a FWD Civic as the fastest car out of all competitors (AWD, RWD and FWD).

^^This. It doesn't change the way the car drives unless the wheels are slipping. [face-palm]
It's only a better option if you drive in situations that warrant it.

I once drove a FWD Van to Monarch for a ski trip and took a rental FWD Sonata up pikes peak. Did a u turn on the sonata in the last mile cause mom wanted to get down. Imagine a 3 point turn on the last mile of pikes peak.

How is overall seat comfort for people? I have only had my CX-5 for about a week, so I am still trying to find the sweat spot. Lumbar support seems a little weak to me so far though.

I once drove a FWD Van to Monarch for a ski trip and took a rental FWD Sonata up pikes peak. Did a u turn on the sonata in the last mile cause mom wanted to get down. Imagine a 3 point turn on the last mile of pikes peak.

That would be hairy, especially with the traffic going up and coming down. ;)

How is overall seat comfort for people? I have only had my CX-5 for about a week, so I am still trying to find the sweat spot. Lumbar support seems a little weak to me so far though.

I actually find the seats to be quite comfortable, although I'd agree with the lumbar support being lacking - especially for me as I'm a sloucher by nature.

Maybe get a lumbar pillow (scratch)

That would be a white-knuckle moment, especially in the winter and in the pre-paved days.

Back