First 1K - some thoughts

Yea, manual mode (on just about any car) will not let you damage the tranny going up or down.

Shaendra: you don't need to gun your car. Just know that if you do need to, you can't hurt it. It's in no way bad for the car.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yea, manual mode (on just about any car) will not let you damage the tranny going up or down.

Shaendra: you don't need to gun your car. Just know that if you do need to, you can't hurt it. It's in no way bad for the car.

Oh I'm not concerned about hurting it. Just never saw a need or benefit to trying to redline it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. You cannot even technically hit the actual redline which is 6,500 Rpms. You can try though...and it certainly under no circumstances ever ...voids the warranty.

Seems like you could do that in neutral, no?

Occasional redlining the engine shouldn't affect.

I redlined the demo CX-5 I drove on a test drive a few weeks ago several times and it was fine.

Ok so my odo turned over 1,000mi today. I have a few thoughts on the car:

1. Pretty much no complaints. It is such a huge step up in all areas but mileage over my previous ride (which was a hybrid, so not exactly comparable there).
2. Speaking of mileage... Even for in-town traffic (which is 80% for me) using MRCC gets better than my granny foot by at least 2mpg (the photo below is with city driving).
3. I definitely love the HUD, and think it's something I'll insist on, with cars going forward. Also love the commander knob, and have no idea how anyone would be confused by it.
4. This is a car I can easily recommend to those looking for a CUV. No doubt about it!

6bbea535a9a7cb3f169391826cafe6ea.jpg

Sounds good to me. We have about 550 on ours.
I have found the limits of suspension on severe rough pavement with our crappy roads. But overall the ride is very nice and quite comfortable. I like the legroom and seating position. Radio is very good, everything is better than the '15 M3.

Hit 5,000 today. First oil change tomorrow. Absolutely in love with the car still. No doubt I made the right choice.

Seems like you could do that in neutral, no?

Nope... the engine ECU prevents the motor from getting to redline... If you left the car in park, and FLOORED it, and kept it floored, it would never go past the redline... However, doing THIS would not be very good for the motor, as it would be revving without a load.

Last edited:
Nope... the engine ECU prevents the motor from getting to redline... If you left the car in park, and FLOORED it, and kept it floored, it would never go past the redline... However, doing THIS would not be very good for the motor, as it would be revving without a load.

Ok too complicated. Back to me never having redlined a car... Not within the realm of my driving style. *shrug*

Ok too complicated. Back to me never having redlined a car... Not within the realm of my driving style. *shrug*

When you need quick movement from a standing start, it is OK to redline briefly.

I can not imagine never redlining or flooring a car... (bike)

When you need quick movement from a standing start, it is OK to redline briefly.

Yeah, that has never been the case. Literally never for me. City driving with lights 80% of the time. The rest is highway/freeway with good steady flow.

I can not imagine never redlining or flooring a car... (bike)

See above :) Only time I ever would have done that, it'd be "for fun"... If it struck me as fun (which it doesn't, lol). Zero need, for me.

I have floored mine once or twice (usually passing another vehicle or entering the freeway behind slow-moving idjits) and the whole FWD thing comes into effect - feels like it's about to come out from under me. How do you redline it and not lose it at the same time?

I floor it when the red light turns green. I don't like taking 10 minutes to get up to the speed limit like a granny driver.

The CX-5 knows how to handle it. Not sure what the issue is here about "redlining"?

I have floored mine once or twice (usually passing another vehicle or entering the freeway behind slow-moving idjits) and the whole FWD thing comes into effect - feels like it's about to come out from under me. How do you redline it and not lose it at the same time?

Couldn't say. I've only driven the AWD CX-5 and it handles it very well.

Traction is important. Really depends on how good the bitumen is.
If you floor from 40 mph to lets say 65 - this should not happen, from a stand still it happens to me sometimes. Plus when conditions are hard.

Back