First 1K - some thoughts

Hi to all, I do not own a CX5, but I am here getting info and experiences from other members with the car, because my daughter will be buying one. Some members suggest redline the car once in a while. I think doing that could void any warranty, since the computers in the cars are black boxes and they keep a detailed info about your driving style.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a joke right?

That little black box is so important to keep this from happening. While you're pushing the WOT, it's doing a million other things to compensate. Jebus!

Torque (AWD) 185 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

You can't even get the full power of the engine until you get to 4,000 RPM's.

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

Here's the Torque and Horsepower curves for the 2017 2.5L Skyactiv. Most IC engines produce highest acceleration at max Horsepower not max Torque due to the multiplicative effect of a lower gear - higher rpm - on force at the wheels.

Edit: And here's the torque and horsepower curve for the 2.2L Diesel.

Yes...High compression engines also enjoy the upper RPM range where they run the best.

I had to floor it this morning getting onto the HWY and merging from a standstill to the car pool lane and I don't believe the car let's you redline? Anyone tried in manual shift? I know my nissan would upshift no matter when you reach redline.

I had to floor it this morning getting onto the HWY and merging from a standstill to the car pool lane and I don't believe the car let's you redline? Anyone tried in manual shift? I know my nissan would upshift no matter when you reach redline.
Exactly. You cannot even technically hit the actual redline which is 6,500 Rpms. You can try though...and it certainly under no circumstances ever ...voids the warranty.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have no idea what that means. Gun it in 1st? No thanks.

Yep! Of course, give the car some gas!
Why would you be afraid to floor it in 1st gear???
Since you have an automatic, the vehicle will shift by itself before ever hitting redline, nothing wrong with this...(drive2)

Not only is it important to know the vehicles capabilities, the failure of running the engine thru its entire RPM range can also create problems.

Exactly. You cannot even technically hit the actual redline which is 6,500 Rpms. You can try though...and it certainly under no circumstances ever ...voids the warranty.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yes, even if you leave the vehicle in MANUAL MODE, and forget to upshift, the car limits the RPM to redline, and no more, and you will just hang there at redline for a few seconds until the vehicle will AUTOMATICALLY upshift into the next gear.

Yep! Of course, give the car some gas!
Why would you be afraid to floor it in 1st gear???
Since you have an automatic, the vehicle will shift by itself before ever hitting redline, nothing wrong with this...(drive2)

Not only is it important to know the vehicles capabilities, the failure of running the engine thru its entire RPM range can also create problems.

Problems like how?

I am NOT an aggressive driver. I see no need to floor it in 1st (unless there is a lava flow right behind me... That kind of thing.)

If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading in the past that low rpm driving (which is what happens when we cruise all the time at the highest gear possible) is what contributes the most to intake valve deposits on a direct injection engine. So stretch the engine's legs every once and while. Ring out the engine to the redline and have fun with it every now and then.

Problems like how?

I am NOT an aggressive driver. I see no need to floor it in 1st (unless there is a lava flow right behind me... That kind of thing.)

If I were you, I'd shift from 1st to 2nd before redlining if there was a lava flow right behind me. ;)

I Play on PC.

My man.

Speaking about the redline, I will hit redline occassionally gunning it on certain hills/on-ramps, etc.

The Mazda knows exactly how to handle it. Gets close to the red-line when it needs to, holds it for as long as it needs to and then shifts when needed. Love it.

As for manual mode, I didn't know it automatically up-shifted if you hit the redline. I knew it would downshift itself. Good to know, learned something new today!

Edit: Also, my CX-5 did a very good job holding in 1st gear descending from the top of Pikes Peak. Hardly had to use the brakes. And then once past a certain point, was able to shift to higher gears and drive normally.

Back