First 1K - some thoughts

1,200 miles on mine. Love the CUV. easy to use. The HUD excellent. Unfortunately, I was rear ended on Wednesday. Asshole was driving a 1979 Cadillac.

So sorry to hear that. I can relate. I was rear ended in my '17 A4 when it was just a few months old. Guy in a late 90's Olds. When I got out to get his license information he took off. Never found him. Called the cops but they never showed up.

Anyway, that's what insurance is for, and my car is as good as new now. All the best of luck to you as you go through the body shop and rental car process. It will all be better once you get through it.

1,200 miles on mine. Love the CUV. easy to use. The HUD excellent. Unfortunately, I was rear ended on Wednesday. Asshole was driving a 1979 Cadillac.

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you and if you had any passenger are all ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one driving a CUV needs AWD. If you are spinning the front wheels, learn how to modulate the throttle.

You're joking, right? I read your reply on my phone and thought surely you lived in Texas or Arizona. So I had to check on the PC. Wisconsin?
AWD was kind of life changing for me (exaggeration). While me and my wife do still enjoy the "our not even that steep driveway has so much snow in it our FWD cars can't get in so we have to do the back-into-the-neighbors-driveway and floor it" game when we have her FWD car. Usually takes 3 or 5 tries. A few times couldn't even get all the way up by the garage so we call close to the door a minor victory.
It might be boring as hell to be able to just drive right in with my AWD CUV. 1st time. Every time. But it is nice.
I even backed in once on 5 inches of snow on top of ice.

Had to take the wife to the hospital once during a bad snow fall. FWD Saab got stuck in the plowed up street snow and the end of the driveway. Horrifying. An AWD CUV would have plowed right through.

Last edited:
You're joking, right? I read your reply on my phone and thought surely you lived in Texas or Arizona. So I had to check on the PC. Wisconsin?
AWD was kind of life changing for me (exaggeration). While me and my wife do still enjoy the "our not even that steep driveway has so much snow in it our FWD cars can't get in so we have to do the back-into-the-neighbors-driveway and floor it" game when we have her FWD car. Usually takes 3 or 5 tries. A few times couldn't even get all the way up by the garage so we call close to the door a minor victory.
It might be boring as hell to be able to just drive right in with my AWD CUV. 1st time. Every time. But it is nice.
I even backed in once on 5 inches of snow on top of ice.

Had to take the wife to the hospital once during a bad snow fall. FWD Saab got stuck in the plowed up street snow and the end of the driveway. Horrifying. An AWD CUV would have plowed right through.

We live in Dallas, and we do get snow and ice, though not often. Our driveway is steep and trying to get our RWD G37 Convertible up that driveway and into the garage was downright comical. Both our daily drivers are now AWD.

Just got back from the first long-ish road trip, about 1200 miles round trip over two days, PA mountains mostly. The car performed spectacularly, and honestly, the transmission seems smoother now. I did let myself push it over the hills (and my MPG went down to 27.5 from 29). Someone here said something about the engine getting better as it broke in...certainly the transmission seems to.

First oil change on Tuesday at roughly 6000 miles.

At 14:1, the diesel is extraordinarily low compression ratio.

Yes. And I think they are the first engines that can detonate the fuel at TDC thereby minimizing loses.

Advantage of the diesel low compression is that the engine also runs colder.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Regarding that AWD thing. I have driven RWD & Front WD vehicles. One of the advantages for me, (I'll soon find out once mine arrives) 😁 for AWD is that there are drive-thrus and garage entrances that are inclined. If you don't have the luxury of a 90 degree approach, approaching it at an angle (without launch distance) usually makes one of my rear tires spin.

AWD as a requisite to get in your driveway? Emmkay.... (thought)

But yeah, for any snow and icy region they're great. Or for peeps that like snow sports. We lived in the PNW for many years and always had a 4x4 truck at our disposal for those infrequent snowy days. Otherwise it was a non-issue.

Just no reason for it in so-Cal! :)

Regarding that AWD thing. I have driven RWD & Front WD vehicles. One of the advantages for me, (I'll soon find out once mine arrives) �� for AWD is that there are drive-thrus and garage entrances that are inclined. If you don't have the luxury of a 90 degree approach, approaching it at an angle (without launch distance) usually makes one of my rear tires spin.

Yep, BTDT. AWD is where it's at for a daily. Hell, I find myself not wanting another 'vette or a viper because it's RWD, lol!

But yeah, for any snow and icy region they're great. Or for peeps that like snow sports. We lived in the PNW for many years and always had a 4x4 truck at our disposal for those infrequent snowy days. Otherwise it was a non-issue.

Non-issue? Sure, but it's definite value added in many many circumstances. Especially in busy towns like mine where you need to GO NOW sometimes.

Requisite? No. Making my life a helluva lot easier? Yes.
Yea, getting in my driveway without having to make running attempts from across the street... ugh. Like I said, sometimes it was fun doing that "let's see how far up the drive I can get". But most of the time...it wasn't. The more things I get to make life in Winter better (AWD, snow thrower) is a major improvement in the quality of my life because I ******* HATE WINTER! (My driveway ISN'T EVEN THAT STEEP!)

Could have gotten my wife to that hospital that night without having my (awesome) neighbors come out of their homes to help me push my car out of my driveway that night. In fact, had to have another neighbor actually RUN MY WIFE to the hospital that night while me and the other guy dicked around with my car. #HusbandFail
My son sitting in the back. It was a ******* nightmare that AWD would have made a non issue.

I do agree with this. FWD is still pretty good.

Nothing but AWD for me in both my vehicles. Not just for snow anymore.

I used to be an avid defender of FWD, but after a few months with my AWD I have to admit it's pretty sweet, much more confidant feeling. It feels like the vehicle is better planted to the road. I never had an issue with my FWD with snows in winter, even with that 1 mile 8% hill I have to go up daily which got pretty treacherous during a storm. Actually looking forward to it this winter.

Btw, mine is FWD. Despite all the points here, I don't see AWD being a benefit for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a now AWD owner I also still believe in FWD. I still say you don't need it where it doesn't snow. No amount of Texans can convince me otherwise. LOL. AND for 4 winters, we had a FWD Saab Convertible with Snow Tires. Damn thing was like a frigging Snow mobile. But I am actually looking forward to a winter with AWD and snows. Bring it on old man winter. 😀

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back