First 1K - some thoughts

:
2017 SRC CX-5 GT + Premium
Ok so my odo turned over 1,000mi today. I have a few thoughts on the car:

1. Pretty much no complaints. It is such a huge step up in all areas but mileage over my previous ride (which was a hybrid, so not exactly comparable there).
2. Speaking of mileage... Even for in-town traffic (which is 80% for me) using MRCC gets better than my granny foot by at least 2mpg (the photo below is with city driving).
3. I definitely love the HUD, and think it's something I'll insist on, with cars going forward. Also love the commander knob, and have no idea how anyone would be confused by it.
4. This is a car I can easily recommend to those looking for a CUV. No doubt about it!

6bbea535a9a7cb3f169391826cafe6ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! I have over 70,000 miles tracked on my 2014 CX-5 and my overall mileage is eerily similar to yours!

I have mine for just over one week. This is a great looking car and I would definitely recommend this car as well. I'm coming from the 2014 Mazda 3 and the heads up display on this car is so much better, I always had issue with the display flipping up. One thing I noticed is with polarized sunglasses the display almost disappears. However after I tinted the windshield I can see the display much better probably reduced glare. Greatest improvement for me is how much quieter this car is, there's so little road and wind noise when on the highway, it's really relaxing. I find myself doing 70+ mph without knowing because it's so quiet lol I do miss the mpg I get from the 3 tho.

1200 miles on mine including one 800+ mile trip from Tucson to Sedona/Grand Canyon. What a difference this car has between city driving mileage and highway. I mean that's typical of pure IC cars but I've never seen it so pronounced. I get somewhere around 26.5/27.5 in the city, but in the relatively flat stretch between Tucson and Phoenix I got 35.6 mpg @ 73 mph (MRCC). Didn't do as well going up the mountain but ended up at 32.3 mpg for the trip.

I love the HUD too, so many times I didn't bother to take my eyes off the road because I already knew there was someone beside me, and always knowing what the speed limit is is great too.

MRCC really cuts down on fatigue on long trips.

Agree on the commander knob being really easy to use and being useful. Also don't understand how people don't understand how to use it.

Since you're already past 1k miles, it's time to redline it from time to time. I like to think of it as stretching the engine's legs :)

Agree on the commander knob being really easy to use and being useful. Also don't understand how people don't understand how to use it.

Since you're already past 1k miles, it's time to redline it from time to time. I like to think of it as stretching the engine's legs :)

Lol I have never redlined a car. Not even a rental on the Autobahn. Nowhere to do that safely or legally around here!

Lol I have never redlined a car. Not even a rental on the Autobahn. Nowhere to do that safely or legally around here!

Careful..your m24 posting rights may get revoked(no)

1st gear in a family car really isn't that tall...
Yes!

The CX-5 is not that quick anyway. There are plenty of opportunities in everyday driving to redline the engine. Highway on-ramps are an easy to place go WOT and redline the engine.

Edit: I really meant to quote shaendra

I'm at 4500 miles here on a 2016.5, and have to do a 1000 mile trip before my first oil change next week.

Why would you redline a car? Serious question.

I'm at 4500 miles here on a 2016.5, and have to do a 1000 mile trip before my first oil change next week.

Because contrary to popular believe around here, it's actually good for it from time to time...

Cars are meant to be driven and for the CX-5, that is where it makes its power, at high RPM. Redlining from time to time is fun, for me that is. You also get to experience that torque surge after a redline shift on the CX-5. There is no harm in redlining a car engine's from time to time as long as you do it correctly (engine temp must be in operating range and you do not linger at the redline). Otherwise car manufacturers would set their redlines really low. I have no scientific answer as far as benefits go, but I believe that the higher temp and pressure can help clear off deposits on the engine.

I've read about Lambos and other high-end vehicles flying/screaming down the bridges to the Florida Keys late at night. I think the reasoning is it burns off carbon deposits.

I've read about Lambos and other high-end vehicles flying/screaming down the bridges to the Florida Keys late at night. I think the reasoning is it burns off carbon deposits.

Well, they don't call it an "Italian tune-up" for nothing!

It's sad but I can get quite excited about that trip info gauge. I shall cycle mine with great enthusiasm.

Hi to all, I do not own a CX5, but I am here getting info and experiences from other members with the car, because my daughter will be buying one. Some members suggest redline the car once in a while. I think doing that could void any warranty, since the computers in the cars are black boxes and they keep a detailed info about your driving style.
Thanks.

Hi to all, I do not own a CX5, but I am here getting info and experiences from other members with the car, because my daughter will be buying one. Some members suggest redline the car once in a while. I think doing that could void any warranty, since the computers in the cars are black boxes and they keep a detailed info about your driving style.
Thanks.

All I will say is that if you need to floor the gas pedal and have the engine redline, it will not void the warranty in any way.

Fuel cut off is usually several hundred RPM beyond redline. As long as your engine is all warmed up, there's not a whole lot to worry about. Especially with an automatic tranny which is programmed not to allow you to destroy your engine by over-revving.

YMMV

Back